Signature Dish

SmashMouth

Appetizer Tray:

Cream cheese stuffed jalapeños wrapped with bacon and basted with raspberry chipotle

Boudain Dip

Burnt Ends

Fried Boudain Balls with cheese in the middle

Tempura battered veggies with a sweet chili dipping sauce

Fried mozzarella with marinara and homemade ranch

Homemade onion rings with sweet 1015 onions

2 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Appetizer Tray:

Cream cheese stuffed jalapeños wrapped with bacon and basted with raspberry chipotle

Boudain Dip

Burnt Ends

Fried Boudain Balls with cheese in the middle

Tempura battered veggies with a sweet chili dipping sauce

Fried mozzarella with marinara and homemade ranch

Homemade onion rings with sweet 1015 onions

I cooked those last week, delish!

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

My all time favorite was Al T’s Thibodeaux Special.   It was a fantastic ribeye with crawfish etouffee on top of it.  
Heaven, pure heaven.   

Dang, I do miss it so. 

It was my favorite. I’ve made it at home even better. Even have a jar of dabbin sauce they grill on the steak. 

On 8/15/2020 at 11:53 PM, SmashMouth said:

In my mind, I know how to cook just about everything in the planet. But I’ve never had Anasazi beans. Where do you get them?

Amazon or they had them at HEB on 365 in PA. I don’t know since the Covid food rush.

They are about twice as expensive as regular beans or maybe a little more. The look like a cross between a black eye pea, navy bean and red bean. When they cook the mostly turn red so people think they are red/kidney beans.

They are milder than red or pinto beans, usually cook in about 90 minutes without soaking and...... they don’t give you gas.

They are named after the Anasazi Indians who cultivated them. Supposedly extinct 500 years ago, they were claimed to be discovered in caves in the dessert Southwest. I have read that some scientists dispute that saying that beans cannot germinate after about 50 years. They believe that some of the Indian tribes were still growing them around the early 1900s and their extinction was simply incorrect. 

5 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Amazon or they had them at HEB on 365 in PA. I don’t know since the Covid food rush.

They are about twice as expensive as regular beans or maybe a little more. The look like a cross between a black eye pea, navy bean and red bean. When they cook the mostly turn red so people think they are red/kidney beans.

They are milder than red or pinto beans, usually cook in about 90 minutes without soaking and...... they don’t give you gas.

They are named after the Anasazi Indians who cultivated them. Supposedly extinct 500 years ago, they were claimed to be discovered in caves in the dessert Southwest. I have read that some scientists dispute that saying that beans cannot germinate after about 50 years. They believe that some of the Indian tribes were still growing them around the early 1900s and their extinction was simply incorrect. 

That’s pretty cool. I’m gonna try some. Thx for the background. 

On 8/18/2020 at 6:58 AM, SmashMouth said:

That’s pretty cool. I’m gonna try some. Thx for the background. 

I just looked at Amazon. Those things have doubled in price. I wonder if Covid related......

It looks like the only semi- cheaper way to buy them is direct from the company but in bulk. 20 pounds delivered in a burlap bag is $50 or $2.50 a pound delivered.  That is about what it is a pound at HEB if they still have them. I use that many so I don’t mind. My friend buys them in 40 pound burlap but cooks 2-3 pounds at a time.

I need to run to HEB and see v if they are still there. 

37 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I just looked at Amazon. Those things have doubled in price. I wonder if Covid related......

It looks like the only semi- cheaper way to buy them is direct from the company but in bulk. 20 pounds delivered in a burlap bag is $50 or $2.50 a pound delivered.  That is about what it is a pound at HEB if they still have them. I use that many so I don’t mind. My friend buys them in 40 pound burlap but cooks 2-3 pounds at a time.

I need to run to HEB and see v if they are still there. 

I’m amazed I’ve never heard of them. I gotta try some. What do you add to them, if anything?

18 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I’m amazed I’ve never heard of them. I gotta try some. What do you add to them, if anything?

Cook them any way you eat beans or use then in any recipe. Substitute for red, pinto, etc  

I cooked them very basic the first time so as to get a better taste rather than covering them up with 3 meats and 10 spices. I did like a medium onion, a little bacon for the fat and salt/pepper. They were great.

When I cook red or anasazi beans, I usually smash a lot of them to make it a lot thicker, almost like Popeye’s RBR. 

20 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

And I am reluctant to recommend much because people’s tastes vary greatly. I am fairly certain you would love these if you like to eats beans. I will say that they are just beans just like Navy, Pinto, Kidney, etc.

But they are very good if you love beans. I have yet to have anyone try them that didn’t love them. I have had a comment or two like, they are very good but they taste like beans. Well, yeah... they don’t taste like fresh Gulf shrimp or filet mignon. They are beans.