Southland Conference Canceling Fall Sports

Per Twitter:

Being told by college football sources that the @SouthlandSports fall sports will be cancelled w/an announcement planned for Thurs. One exception is if fball programs want to keep Non Conf gms they can. Conf. gms will move to the spring. Timing for camp/games still TBD. @KPRC2

This is the hidden content, please

14 hours ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

SFA coach tweeted that the Jacks are looking for 10 fall opponents......may be leaving the SLC soon I hope......

SFA is 17-30 in conference play over the last 5 years, 5-13 the last 2 years.

SFA ain't going anywhere, particularly with them being on probation for academics.

20 hours ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

SFA coach tweeted that the Jacks are looking for 10 fall opponents......may be leaving the SLC soon I hope......

Curious as to why you would like to see them leave the SLC and what conference would add them?

I dont see a geographic fit in a FCS based conference.  Also, the TV market in and around Nac. Is not large for a step up to a mid-major playing at the FBS level. 

39 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Curious as to why you would like to see them leave the SLC and what conference would add them?

I dont see a geographic fit in a FCS based conference.  Also, the TV market in and around Nac. Is not large for a step up to a mid-major playing at the FBS level. 

I could see them trying to get into the Sun Belt Conference with Texas State. 

This is the hidden content, please

Almost every school in the SLC would jump to the Sun Belt if offered.  It simply won't happen without being a decent size TV market.  

Sam Houston tried this around 10 years ago and attempted to claim the Woodlands/Conroe area as part of its TV market.  It was essentially laughed at by the Sun Belt.  

Lamar is the only school geographically sensible with a remotely decent sized TV market for the Sun Belt and trying to make the Golden Triangle TV market argument is difficult enough. 

• 3 months later...