Silsbee basketball 2020-21

On 10/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, SportsJunkie32 said:

How far into the Regionals, I have Silsbee (W22) beating HJ (W21) in the Regional Quarterfinals.  

If HJ is truly better than they were last year, they have a real shot at the regional finals or even state. I’m sure Silsbee’s freshman and sophomore group has improved over the summer, but the regional tournament might be a stretch goal... but also a very realistic goal to strive for. 

7 hours ago, DXTR said:

If HJ is truly better than they were last year, they have a real shot at the regional finals or even state. I’m sure Silsbee’s freshman and sophomore group has improved over the summer, but the regional tournament might be a stretch goal... but also a very realistic goal to strive for. 

HJ has almost everyone coming back plus some solid kids off a JV that won their district. They should be fun to watch 

15 minutes ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

Out of those 5 how many do you see the Tigers winning

They will definitely lose to United both times.

I think they lose to HJ, Crosby and Stafford mainly because Silsbee will likely still be in football or just coming out of it. (except for HJ, I think Silsbee loses to them with a full squad).

I think Silsbee will beat Lake Charles LaGrange.

1 minute ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I think they lose to HJ, Crosby and Stafford mainly because Silsbee will likely still be in football or just coming out of it. (except for HJ, I think Silsbee loses to them with a full squad).

Yes you definitely need them to be in sync with each other by then but Silsbee will be Silsbee by the time district starts... And I just revisit our schedule as we have all the ranked teams that we will play in December for 4 consecutive games starting with Leggett and ending with Crockett and I see us going 3-1 or 2-2 definitely losing to Huntsville and a toss up between us and Crockett

9 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The other team Martin's Mill which is ranked #1 in 2A may give us fits as well but I still see us winning that one

4 hours ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Coach wise is so overated!!!! Not hard to be a successful coach when you have studs every year and transfers!!!

I beg to differ. I went to see Silsbee in a tournament the year they were was ranked #1 and went into the playoffs undefeated. That's another story.  Around the holidays they played in a tournament at the now gone Smiley Hi School.  Channel View was there, and so was Yates.  I alluded to having seen talented teams with no coaching.   That Yates team was one I had in mind.  They had height, guards everything.  They ran like the wind.  They built up a big lead in a game, then fizzled out and lost.  

This was before they hired Wise.  The difference between that team and the teams coached by Wise was like night and day.  He put Yates back on the map.

That negative stereotype that the all successful black high school coaches just win because they have teams with a lot of talent is a myth.  All successful coaches win with talented teams.  You have watched too many re runs of the movie Hoosier.  It is based on a real team, but they used all kinds of cinema verite, and poetic justice to make that movie.   That same mentality is the reason why both the Houston Texans and the Dallas Cowboys are jacked up.

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

I beg to differ. I went to see Silsbee in a tournament the year they were was ranked #1 and went into the playoffs undefeated. That's another story.  Around the holidays they played in a tournament at the now gone Smiley Hi School.  Channel View was there, and so was Yates.  I alluded to having seen talented teams with no coaching.   That Yates team was one I had in mind.  They had height, guards everything.  They ran like the wind.  They built up a big lead in a game, then fizzled out and lost.  

This was before they hired Wise.  The difference between that team and the teams coached by Wise was like night and day.  He put Yates back on the map.

That negative stereotype that the all successful black high school coaches just win because they have teams with a lot of talent is a myth.  All successful coaches win with talented teams.  You have watched too many re runs of the movie Hoosier.  It is based on a real team, but they used all kinds of cinema verite, and poetic justice to make that movie.   That same mentality is the reason why both the Houston Texans and the Dallas Cowboys are jacked up.

I’m not going to say Wise can’t coach.  I do think the elite coaches are able to adjust their “systems” to their opponents.   There are not a lot of elite coaches in HS basketball. We do have some in our area that are very adept at adjustments both to a particular opponent and in-game.  

6 hours ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Coach wise is so overated!!!! Not hard to be a successful coach when you have studs every year and transfers!!!

Same holds true for Carthage in football, and Argyle in football, basketball, girls basketball & everything else.   Is it coaching?  Dude is a helluva coach at Carthage.  He has D-1 players just popping up every year, out of nowhere.  And Argyle.  Is it the soil?  They got stud athletes just showing up on campus year in, decade in and out.   What kind of buzz do the coaches put in their ears to make them so good year in and year out?   

36 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I’m not going to say Wise can’t coach.  I do think the elite coaches are able to adjust their “systems” to their opponents.   There are not a lot of elite coaches in HS basketball. We do have some in our area that are very adept at adjustments both to a particular opponent and in-game.  

I am sure there are good coaches in Orange County and in SE Texas in general.  Maybe some of them don't get their due.   Personally I think it is not good to besmirch a coaches accomplishment just because he doesn't sit in your Sunday school class or belong to the country club.   I think it is the prevailing zeitgeist.  The commander is a loud mouth buffoon, so the young high school trolls in training do the same.

So do you think wise could do well at a school like bridge city??? We saw what Sigler did when he went to Livingston. I think some coaches will always just do what the believe in and never have other plans and don’t make adjustments, they have to have some studs to be successful. I think some of these coaches like at png, Lumberton, LCM don’t get enough credit with the personell they have to put on the court year in and year out. I mean does Fannett do what they do if they don’t get the move-ins?? Can guys like Sigler, wise, boutte, Green, Sutherland, Joubert go coach at Bridge city and wins games like they do now??? I don’t think so ..

Sigler has been around awhile.  He's taken his lumps, in Silsbee and I guess in Livingston.  You keep bringing that up.  I'll take your word on it.  I don't keep up with Livingston sports. I remember 10 years or so ago they had soon good height and some ranked teams. Haven't heard from them since, whoever the coaches were. 

I never said Sigler was the greatest high school coach ever.  I respect that he has hung in there.  He retired once, then came back.  He went up against some great teams, like PA Lincoln.   Some of his star players are the sons of players he had 25 years before.  A coach doesn't  get 760 wins, 2 championships, uil 4A coach of the year, etc, by just being lucky to coach stud players.  

Schools, communities that have historically good basketball programs go out and hire or try to hire good basketball coaches.  Any good coach knows what kind of talent a school puts out year in year out.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's kinda smart.  If I am considered a good baseball coach and I want to keep my reputation going, or maybe improve it I am not gonna take a head coaching position at Yates or BT Washington to coach baseball.   I am going to choose Bridge City, or PNG, or LCM.  If I am a JUCO basketball recruiter I would include checking out Silsbee way before I would Bridge City.  That's just common sense. 

And if you want basketball fans to stop bringing up coach Wise, then beat him at his game.  Do it 2 or 3 times or seasons.  Raise up up a team in Lumberton, or bridge city or LCM that can do that.  I don't see it happening soon, but what do I know?  It is within the realm of possible.

I see coach Sigler getting over 850 plus wins and maybe 900 before he retires again. He has 3 trips to state and 2 championships. He already has a Texas Coach's Hall of Fame record. I see him maybe getting 2 or trips to state and another ring possibly with this next group coming threw. At some point Silsbee could become 3A. If that happens, look out!! 

16 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

I see coach Sigler getting over 850 plus wins and maybe 900 before he retires again. He has 3 trips to state and 2 championships. He already has a Texas Coach's Hall of Fame record. I see him maybe getting 2 or trips to state and another ring possibly with this next group coming threw. At some point Silsbee could become 3A. If that happens, look out!! 

Sigler’s record speaks for itself. Can’t argue with results. I’m not sure if Silsbee will ever see 3A again though. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Silsbee coach Terry Cylley # 20 on an all time coaches list.  Never heard of him before just now.

Was head basketball coach from 1981-1988. Took Silsbee to playoffs every year but first year, state tourney in 1983, regionals 3 years. Sigler was his assistant those last 4 years.

It's Culley, not Cylley