There’s probably over 200 or so boys in high school and last I counted there were 35 on the field. Looks like we will just field a varsity this year. No way you can have a JV.  There is more that try out for tennis and softball than football. Kids are lazy they’d rather play PS 4 all day and night. Needs to be roaming the band hall and tennis courts looking for warm bodies to plug in

45 minutes ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

There’s probably over 200 or so boys in high school and last I counted there were 35 on the field. Looks like we will just field a varsity this year. No way you can have a JV.  There is more that try out for tennis and softball than football. Kids are lazy they’d rather play PS 4 all day and night. Needs to be roaming the band hall and tennis courts looking for warm bodies to plug in

I know this is true to some extent, but look at other programs around the state. We have a very low participation percentage compared to almost anyone else around here. Something isn't right...

I've seen some comments on here saying Jones "bit off too much", and "I haven't heard anything good." If "biting off too much" means holding young men accountable, and EXPECTING them to work hard everyday is "biting off too much" then so be it. If "not hearing anything good" means little Johnny's parents are pissed off because Coach Jones is mean and requires too much of little Johnny then so be it. It's a shame people act this way when someone in charge expects something of them or their children.

5 hours ago, gogo1734 said:

I've seen some comments on here saying Jones "bit off too much", and "I haven't heard anything good." If "biting off too much" means holding young men accountable, and EXPECTING them to work hard everyday is "biting off too much" then so be it. If "not hearing anything good" means little Johnny's parents are pissed off because Coach Jones is mean and requires too much of little Johnny then so be it. It's a shame people act this way when someone in charge expects something of them or their children.

Or...it could be that he hasn’t done a very good job. It’s oft times good to look at both sides. A good coach can have high expectations AND make the kids and parents like it. Maybe he’s just not good at that. 

48 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Or...it could be that he hasn’t done a very good job. It’s oft times good to look at both sides. A good coach can have high expectations AND make the kids and parents like it. Maybe he’s just not good at that. 

That's certainly a possibility. However, the majority of complaints I've heard about Jones are:

1. He expects too much.

2. He's too hard on the kids.

Also, Kirbyville hasn't had much talent in the last few years. That's certainly part of it. 

5 minutes ago, gogo1734 said:

That's certainly a possibility. However, the majority of complaints I've heard about Jones are:

1. He expects too much.

2. He's too hard on the kids.

Also, Kirbyville hasn't had much talent in the last few years. That's certainly part of it. 

No doubt. I just know as a kid that played HS and college football, and coached at levels from pee wee to college as a GA, that even  the toughest SOB can make a group of kids go to war for him if he does it right. Maybe he doesn’t possess that skill. 

1 minute ago, SmashMouth said:

No doubt. I just know as a kid that played HS and college football, and coached at levels from pee wee to college as a GA, that even  the toughest SOB can make a group of kids go to war for him if he does it right. Maybe he doesn’t possess that skill. 

There's definitely some sort of disconnect with the football kids for some reason. Baseball doesn't have a problem playing for him though. That's where it confuses me. I know football and baseball are two vastly different sports, but motivation and getting kids to play for you isn't any different between the two. (At least IMO) 

Just now, gogo1734 said:

There's definitely some sort of disconnect with the football kids for some reason. Baseball doesn't have a problem playing for him though. That's where it confuses me. I know football and baseball are two vastly different sports, but motivation and getting kids to play for you isn't any different between the two. (At least IMO) 

Correct!!! So, maybe he’s a baseball guy (like everyone keeps saying) and doesn’t put the same enthusiasm into football.

On 8/7/2020 at 7:47 PM, WOSgrad said:

I would love to be able to tell you, but I haven't received a response to ANY correspondence that I have sent Craig Jones since he became AD.

Wow that is sad to see this!! This saddens a Coldspring Trojan Football fan. Kirbyville, use to be a football Mecca for small schools. We had an epic battle in 2010 with them en-route to the state championship game. Hope to see Wildcats get back on track 

23 minutes ago, TrojanMoJo said:

Wow that is sad to see this!! This saddens a Coldspring Trojan Football fan. Kirbyville, use to be a football Mecca for small schools. We had an epic battle in 2010 with them en-route to the state championship game. Hope to see Wildcats get back on track 

what is sad?

jones is an old school type of guy and does things the right way. lots of people don't like the old school way is the problem 

i bet if you asked him he has never heard of these message boards.

45 minutes ago, THE DUDE said:

what is sad?

jones is an old school type of guy and does things the right way. lots of people don't like the old school way is the problem 

Dislike this message board? Possibly, and he wouldn't be the first.

Never heard of it?  I definitely know that is not the case.

12 minutes ago, THE DUDE said:

i am willing to bet he is not a big fan of any social media so i would not take it personally. 

I don't.  I am disappointed that I am not able to deliver information to the Kirbyville faithful.  But I don't know the man and other than that I issue I have no problem with the man.

As to his coaching chops, I will note that a lot of the Kirbyville faithful were wanting him to be named head coach when Greg Neece left for Newton and sung his praises right here.  So while it might not be the case now, at the time several were quite impressed with his football coaching chops. 

Finally, he came to the Kirbyville job from WO-S and, well, Cornel Thompson is not one to put folks who can't coach on his coaching staff.

4 hours ago, THE DUDE said:

I'd bet his "message board" has a taped handle and lots of holes to reduce drag coefficient.

I remember going to a Kirbyville scrimmage the year after Neece left and evaluating the kids. There were seven or eight people on the field who looked like stud athletes and the rest of the players on the field as well as the guys on the sidelines looked like they were 12 years old. Those kids are upperclassmen today. This was a year before Jones arrived. Jones is a pretty good coach. The team will get better in time. I think they will be better this year. Maybe not Newton but they will be better. 

I would not be surprised if the upcoming talent was not part of the reason that Neece left but I am sure he had other reasons too.