More or less government?

stevenash

39 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Private enterprise will always exceed gov in efficiency and innovation...always.

True!  Just look at the Postal Service vs FedEx and UPS!  Two are ran efficient and the other is a total drain on tax dollars.  But, I did hear that there are changes coming form the Postal Service.  Like maybe cutting it in half.   Let's play it on the safe side and cut three quarters.  Bet we won't miss it one bit!!

2 minutes ago, Reagan said:

True!  Just look at the Postal Service vs FedEx and UPS!  Two are ran efficient and the other is a total drain on tax dollars.  But, I did hear that there are changes coming form the Postal Service.  Like maybe cutting it in half.   Let's play it on the safe side and cut three quarters.  Bet we won't miss it one bit!!

The private sector has to deal with something that gov never does, competition.  
That, along with freedom, has made this the greatest country in history.

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

That isn’t really a fair comparison. A government operation is hardly ever efficient but the USPS has to deliver a letter to Guam for $1.20. If these innovative and highly profitable companies like FE and UPS can or will deliver a piece of mail to Guam for $1.20, I would like to know about it.

Forget overseas. A first class letter from FL to CA is 55 cents. Let one off the contract carriers deliver a letter 2,500 miles for 55 cents.

11 hours ago, tvc184 said:

That isn’t really a fair comparison. A government operation is hardly ever efficient but the USPS has to deliver a letter to Guam for $1.20. If these innovative and highly profitable companies like FE and UPS can or will deliver a piece of mail to Guam for $1.20, I would like to know about it.

Forget overseas. A first class letter from FL to CA is 55 cents. Let one off the contract carriers deliver a letter 2,500 miles for 55 cents.

I almost posted the same thing a little while ago. Raise the regular mail to a dollar a letter, and get rid of unnecessary cost. A lot of labor wasted in that place. Finally, deliver mail on Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat. That gets rid of 1 delivery day but never more than 1 day closed. I’m sure there are tons of other possibilities, but that could be a start.

1 minute ago, SmashMouth said:

I almost posted the same thing a little while ago. Raise the regular mail to a dollar a letter, and get rid of unnecessary cost. A lot of labor wasted in that place. Finally, deliver mail on Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat. That gets rid of 1 delivery day but never more than 1 day closed. I’m sure there are tons of other possibilities, but that could be a start.

why go to all of that trouble when you have an unlimited line of credit and you are accountable to nobody?

11 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Yes, go $1 but people would raise heck. They want the government to deliver mail for almost nothing but then complain when the post office loses money.

I had an idea a few years ago and still think it might work. First class mail is now delivered six days a week. I say deliver mail to half of the addresses on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the other half on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. You could get rid of half the delivery people. We would have to wait one extra day for our meal. Big deal. If it is really important you can send it for $15 by express or fax it or send it in an email.

But, this is not a thread about the post office. I think it is a lousy example of government inefficiency because they are forced to compete against private industry and could only charge 5% for the same delivery. I don’t think that UPS can deliver letters to Guam for a little over $1. 

5 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Yes, go $1 but people would raise heck. They want the government to deliver mail for almost nothing but then complain when the post office loses money.

I had an idea a few years ago and still think it might work. First class mail is now delivered six days a week. I say deliver mail to half of the addresses on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the other half on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. You could get rid of half the delivery people. We would have to wait one extra day for our meal. Big deal. If it is really important you can send it for $15 by express or fax it or send it in an email.

But, this is not a thread about the post office. I think it is a lousy example of government inefficiency because they are forced to compete against private industry and could only charge 5% for the same delivery. I don’t think that UPS can deliver letters to Guam for a little over $1

That is true..  However, neither can the U.S. Postal service except for the fact that they conduct services that continually lose money because they can borrow all they want.   Every time it delivers something for less than the cost of said delivery, it simply adds to the losses incurred by the postal service every year.  If I have $100,000 in the bank and own a business that is losing $25,000 per year, I will deplete my $100,000 cushion in 4 years.  At that time, I will have to find a way to get some more cushion( borrow), raise my revenues, lower my expenses or a combination of all three.  If this dilemma persists, I will eventually go out of business.