Drones

WOSdrummer99

17 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Has anyone else seen more drones? I watched 2 in my area recently. I've heard two different theories. People being bored, and police surveillance. Any thoughts?

I think it’s more of kids and/or hobbyists. I know lots of people that have them. Pretty cool stuff. 

9 hours ago, tvc184 said:

At least two police departments in Jefferson County have drone units with multiple drones each  

I command one of them....

I was hopeful you would know something. Are there any regulations you must follow? Also, are there any laws to protect my privacy from the non police drones?

32 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I was hopeful you would know something. Are there any regulations you must follow? Also, are there any laws to protect my privacy from the non police drones?

Lol. C’mon buddy. They ain’t going in your house! Lol. Just don’t burn a big fat one on the back porch even if you have a 6’ privacy fence. 

41 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Texas has the most restrictive drone laws in the country. That includes specifics restrictions on law enforcement.

There are also federal FAA regulations. You have to be a FAA licensed commercial drone pilot (called sUAV for small unmanned aerial vehicle) to fly for anything other than a hobby, it restricts how high you can fly, no night flights without an FAA waiver, no flying over people, all commercial drones have to be individually registered with its own numbers displayed just like a manned aircraft, etc.

Then there are court rulings on unlawful searches. 

1 minute ago, tvc184 said:

Texas has the most restrictive drone laws in the country. That includes specifics restrictions on law enforcement.

There are also federal FAA regulations. You have to be a FAA licensed commercial drone pilot (called sUAV for small unmanned aerial vehicle) to fly for anything other than a hobby, it restricts how high you can fly, no night flights without an FAA waiver, no flying over people, all commercial drones have to be individually registered with its own numbers displayed just like a manned aircraft, etc.

Then there are court rulings on unlawful searches. 

Man, I’m intrigued. Do you get to fly them ever, or are you strictly in a supervisory role?

10 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Man, I’m intrigued. Do you get to fly them ever, or are you strictly in a supervisory role?

I have flown several law enforcement missions. We have used them for search and rescue, locating a stolen vehicle in a marsh after a tip, close up photographing of radio towers for repair and inspection of police and fire department radios, major crime scenes, real and training missions by SWAT and K9 units, making 3d images of building, and so on. 

We keep logs of every flight including training flights.  

47 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I've also been told they make drone shells with a capture net. But then I'm discharging in city limits. I should've called the law. Maybe next time.

On an interesting note (I think), someone better not get caught shooting down a drone. Drones are federally regulated aircraft including the airspace they fly in. Shooting one down carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and up to a $250,000 fine. 

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

On an interesting note (I think), someone better not get caught shooting down a drone. Drones are federally regulated aircraft including the airspace they fly in. Shooting one down carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and up to a $250,000 fine. 

How is someone suppose to know what’s a federally operated drone and what’s not? Sounds like an invasion of privacy to me. I would think a warrant would be required. 

2 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Is there a minimum altitude for them and/or their protected air space?

4 hours ago, Realville said:

How is someone suppose to know what’s a federally operated drone and what’s not? Sounds like an invasion of privacy to me. I would think a warrant would be required. 

All drones over 8.8oz, it has to be registered whether for a hobby or commercially.

If it is bigger than the palm of your hand, it is likely regulated by the FAA  

I have no clue what kind of warrant or the purpose of a warrant you are asking about.

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

All drones over 8.8oz, it has to be registered whether for a hobby or commercially.

If it is bigger than the palm of your hand, it is likely regulated by the FAA  

I have no clue what kind of warrant or the purpose of a warrant you are asking about.

I am referring to a drone just constantly hovering over private property with a camera on it taking pics or video. If my daughter was out at the pool laying out getting some sun an I saw that happening that drone would be blown out of the sky I don’t care who it belongs too. Maybe we’re just not understanding each other.

2 hours ago, Realville said:

I am referring to a drone just constantly hovering over private property with a camera on it taking pics or video. If my daughter was out at the pool laying out getting some sun an I saw that happening that drone would be blown out of the sky I don’t care who it belongs too. Maybe we’re just not understanding each other.

Private citizens can’t get warrants.

Shooting drones is a federal felony and probably several state crimes.

You can commit any crime that you wish. If it is worth the consequences or you get away with it, great.

I am not criticizing your opinion. I usually try to unemotionally talk about the law as I believe it to be.