Texas high school football coaches brace for delayed, interrupted 2020 season

The only way I see things working is if can can give up the idea that if someone tests positive you send everyone home.  Just the individual that tests positive needs to go home.  It should however raise the level of concern and make you more vigilant about others that could have been in contact.  Often a follow up test shows negative with no antibodies.

i do wonder how this would have played out 20 years ago without social and mainstream media being the way it is today. 

Organized sports may or may not survive.  It feels surreal just saying that, but it is true.   Maybe scientists will turn the corner and control covid 19, and maybe they will not.   They disease has killed at least 500 teens.  The numbers are probably higher than that.  I've seen videos of AAU  teams going at it while wearing masks.  Just driving around with a mask in hard to do..  I can't imagine playing 5 on 5 with a mask on.  I am for wearing masks in public, but I doubt if they are effective on the basketball court.

I watched the Astros at KC Royals the other day.  As expected the public wasn't allowed in the stadium.  The NBA is starting the season up doing the same thing, no fans in the stands.  That works for now as organized sports as well as everyone else adjusts to new ways to live with the pandemic.  I don't think ultra high sports salaries and empty stadiums can coexist very long.  Something has got to give.

Looking at the Texas Department of Health and Human Services data for confirmed fatalities it looks like it’s basically 0 for teens. I do know of the one from Lancaster that was all over the news and was a terrible deal. 

Not sure where that 500 number came from but most of the CDC stuff has COVID, pneumonia and influenza lumped together when you look at age demographics. It also puts 0-24 as an age group together. 

28 minutes ago, OutdoorsGuy said:

Looking at the Texas Department of Health and Human Services data for confirmed fatalities it looks like it’s basically 0 for teens. I do know of the one from Lancaster that was all over the news and was a terrible deal. 

Not sure where that 500 number came from but most of the CDC stuff has COVID, pneumonia and influenza lumped together when you look at age demographics. It also puts 0-24 as an age group together. 

You are correct, the following link is an updated list of cases broken down into lots of categories.

This is the hidden content, please

On the site, click on Accessible Dashboard Data and an excel spreadsheet will automatically download...great source of daily updated data for Texas.

This may be where you are looking, I was just posting for other folks that may be interested.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:57 PM, SmashMouth said:

You need to climb in a hole and seal it up. Better get off this board via laptop/cell phone/pc. You might get a virus. Hope you have a good life looking over your shoulder. 

Ha ha!

I'm doing my small part to stem the virus. if everyone did just a little, we wouldn't be facing the choices we have now.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:04 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

I don’t know if I’ve said this already on this site, but if it will keep all of our kids (all of SETX athletes) safe, just shut all the HS sports down this year and take no chances.  It sucks for us, but at this point, I’m prepared to be without HS sports and auxiliary for a year. 

22 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

To answer your first question, yes.  I have an incoming Junior that’s involved in band.  He’s a top 10% student and is also actively involved in other organizations, such as NHS, National Beta club (he’s slated to hold a position for that club).  Everything sucks right now, but you have to look at the big picture.  He sees the big picture even though he loves school and his organizations that he’s in.  

When you quoted me above, I was speaking for the well being of all kids.  I’d hate to see these kids suffering sick or worse.  Take a step back and take draconian measures, especially for the kids.

Can't you just keep your kid at home, while I send mine to school? I'm glad we have that option, don't shut everything down for everyone. Make the choice that's best for you and your family. Our decision is made, we'll deal with the consequences.

33 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Can't you just keep your kid at home, while I send mine to school? I'm glad we have that option, don't shut everything down for everyone. Make the choice that's best for you and your family. Our decision is made, we'll deal with the consequences.

I do understand it’s different situations for different folks.  God blessed my family and I to be able to do the online study for the two school aged kids.  

I agree with you though.  The options are there if you want to send your kids.  Heck, one district, PNGISD would be right up your alley as they are forcing your hand.  

52 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I do understand it’s different situations for different folks.  God blessed my family and I to be able to do the online study for the two school aged kids.  

I agree with you though.  The options are there if you want to send your kids.  Heck, one district, PNGISD would be right up your alley as they are forcing your hand.  

I wonder how that football parent feels now sending their kid over to Png from Memorial recently.......

............oh welp, things happen 🤷🏾‍♂️

54 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Are they requiring f2f attendance at PNG?

Just now, WOSgrad said:

So far, yes.

Can’t say I agree with that either. If someone who doesn’t want to be there and otherwise would have chose home schooling gets sick the whole thing is going to blow up badly. At least with our situation we have weighed the risk vs reward and decided to go all in on the Senior season but if something bad happens it’s on us, our choice.

The virus will runs its course regardless what we do. Protect the high risk individuals which is very small percentage of the population. The high risk individuals know who they are.  Then let the healthy population go about living there lives. March,April, and May is the first time in US history that we quarantined an entire healthy population. Personally I  didn’t think it made sense.

45 minutes ago, NetCat said:

Sports too? 

Yes.  In fact, for 6A/5A teams this means that their first game can be no earlier than 10/1-3.  The start for 6A/5A schools on 9/24-26 was contingent on the school continuing its S&C through August 24th.  This order by Harris County effective ends that for all of its schools, including schools in these districts:

Aldine

Alief

Channelview

Crosby

Cypress-Fairbanks

Deer Park

Galena Park

Goose Creek (Baytown)

Houston (Schools are already closed to their reopening plan that doesn't open schools to face to face until mid October)

Humble

Klein

La Porte

Pasadena

Sheldon

Spring

Spring Branch

Tomball

Parts of Clear Creek (Clear Creek, Clear Lake)

Parts of Katy ISD (Taylor, Mayde Creek, Morton Ranch)

Private Schools (Kinkaid, Houston St. John's, The Village, Baytown Christian, Katy St. John's to name a few)

3 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Yes.  In fact, for 6A/5A teams this means that their first game can be no earlier than 10/1-3.  The start for 6A/5A school was contingent on the school continuing its S&C through August 24th.  This order by Harris County effective ends that for all of its schools, including schools in these districts:

Aldine

Alief

Channelview

Crosby

Cypress-Fairbanks

Deer Park

Galena Park

Goose Creek (Baytown)

Houston (Schools are already closed to their reopening plan that doesn't open schools to face to face until mid October)

Humble

Klein

La Porte

Pasadena

Sheldon

Spring

Spring Branch

Parts of Clear Creek (Clear Creek, Clear Lake)

Parts of Katy ISD (Taylor, Mayde Creek, Morton Ranch)

Private Schools (Kinkaid, HSt. John's, The Village, Baytown Christian to name a few)

Do you see districts outside of Harris County waiting on them to start or will the UIL issue another ruling to preserve some type of playoff system to include these schools?