UIL will allow each school district to decide if students can play sports if they choose to do virtual learning

WOSgrad

1 minute ago, NetCat said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like this could be abused badly? 

Well, remember. They still have to meet UIL requirements on residency, etc.  And it could actually be easier.  I school district will have an IP address to track.

1 minute ago, WOSgrad said:

Potentially, but do you want to be THE school district in your area that decided to shut a kid out of UIL sports because his parents chose the virtual option as opposed to in person?

Yeah that's what I'm saying...someone is going to abuse the rule. 

I hope nobody does but...

6 hours ago, THE DUDE said:

so does this mean "home school" kids can now play uil sports in the school district they live in?

This is quite the stretch. The kid would obviously have to be enrolled in the ISD to qualify. The better point is the one made about COVID concern in a classroom, but not on a football field. That should be enough to put an end to the argument.

20 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

This is quite the stretch. The kid would obviously have to be enrolled in the ISD to qualify. The better point is the one made about COVID concern in a classroom, but not on a football field. That should be enough to put an end to the argument.

The entire state has to be on the same page. Some schools have already stated students will be able to virtually learn at home and still participate in sports and other activities.  Classrooms are not big enough to social distance a class of 25 or more students. Especially the schools with 1500+students. Just can’t be done. If a kids school says they have to be in class learning and the neighboring district says they don’t. Then the door does open for transfers. Which can be approved d/t COVID. So the majority will probably allow it. Until school actually starts they don’t even know how many students will be able to return. This pandemic has affected these students in more ways than one. I personally don’t think it will be a football season and if it is. It won’t be the same. They may only play district. Not much excitement there. IMO. 

3 minutes ago, KB24 said:

The entire state has to be on the same page. Some schools have already stated students will be able to virtually learn at home and still participate in sports and other activities.  Classrooms are not big enough to social distance a class of 25 or more students. Especially the schools with 1500+students. Just can’t be done. If a kids school says they have to be in class learning and the neighboring district says they don’t. Then the door does open for transfers. Which can be approved d/t COVID. So the majority will probably allow it. Until school actually starts they don’t even know how many students will be able to return. This pandemic has affected these students in more ways than one. I personally don’t think it will be a football season and if it is. It won’t be the same. They may only play district. Not much excitement there. IMO. 

Heck, classrooms probably can't socially distance 10-15 kids if the rules are followed. Honestly.

Well, the UIL has apparently put an end to the issue

This is the hidden content, please

BREAKING The UIL has issued guidance through the RMA portal that students enrolled in remote learning are ELIGIBLE for extra-curricular activities provided they meet all UIL eligibility requirements

2 hours ago, 2wedge said:

what is the stretch? both attend classes at home.

2 hours ago, KB24 said:

I am beginning to think the same. I will actually be surprised if we have a football season. With some college conferences shutting or minimizing their season, it's hard to believe that there will be a Texas high school football season.

Dallas ISD sup has stated that he does not expect a high school football season this fall.

9 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I am beginning to think the same. I will actually be surprised if we have a football season. With some college conferences shutting or minimizing their season, it's hard to believe that there will be a Texas high school football season.

Dallas ISD sup has stated that he does not expect a high school football season this fall.

As much as I hate it, I am in agreement with you. I just dont see any way HS football takes place this fall. I dont even see NFL and COLLEGE football making a full season. 

26 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I feel like if we send them to school then there should be football. I guess my opinion is that if it's safe enough for school, then it's safe enough for sports. 

I hope anyways...

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, the UIL has apparently put an end to the issue

This is the hidden content, please

BREAKING The UIL has issued guidance through the RMA portal that students enrolled in remote learning are ELIGIBLE for extra-curricular activities provided they meet all UIL eligibility requirements

Districts can still be more strict than this. Nothing really has changed. Districts can still create a policy that students have to attend in person classes in order to be in extra-curricular activities. I’ve already seen a few districts post their stance on both sides. Some will allow it and some won’t.