Canutillo High School will not pay coaches if seasons are cancelled

Javelina

1 hour ago, NetCat said:

They're probably going to have trouble hiring coaches in the future if they can't show loyalty now...

Do they have a choice?  Canutillo is not the first, as they article indicated, and it won't be the last.  These districts are having to make the same hard decisions that businesses have been having to make for months.

13 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Do they have a choice?  Canutillo is not the first, as they article indicated, and it won't be the last.  These districts are having to make the same hard decisions that businesses have been having to make for months.

I get that side of it too, hard decisions everywhere. 

41 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Only the stipends are being considered for non-payment, correct? I would assume, their teacher and administration salaries are safe because they still have to perform those duties?

18 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Only the stipends are being considered for non-payment, correct? I would assume, their teacher and administration salaries are safe because they still have to perform those duties?

That's what I got out of the article.

5 hours ago, 2wedge said:

That is true.  Remember that coaches who are not AD's have teaching responsibilities.  But to lose at least 5,000 off of your yearly salary is pretty good cut.

18 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I don’t know how I feel about this.  I’m leaning more towards “if it’s already budgeted, keep it in their salary.”  Nobody knows what will happen with football.  Maybe they’ll push the seasons back.  

This is where I am, especially the small schools. 

12 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

That is true.  Remember that coaches who are not AD's have teaching responsibilities.  But to lose at least 5,000 off of your yearly salary is pretty good cut.

Oh no doubt. At the smaller schools, that would be nearly a 10% pay cut for people who are already earning below minimum wage for the hours they put in. I don't understand how the district can do that when these guys/ladies have a contract. Aren't those stipends written into their contract?

19 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Oh no doubt. At the smaller schools, that would be nearly a 10% pay cut for people who are already earning below minimum wage for the hours they put in. I don't understand how the district can do that when these guys/ladies have a contract. Aren't those stipends written into their contract?

There is a lot of fine print in those contracts and they use certain words so that they can manipulate.......i know first hand.

25 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

And at the small schools it really wouldn't save the school that much money. So why do it?

I understand the bigger schools doing it because that's a lot more money.

But I say if it was already in the budget why mess with it. Give it a year and see.. 

The schools are having real funding issues. Lots of Texas school districts get a lot of taxable value from the oil/gas being extracted. When production tanks like it has, those revenues dry up. There are also going to be a lot of people unable to pay their property taxes on time this year because of Covid. Those landlords who haven’t received rent from their tenants since March won’t be paying their property taxes on time this year. 
They really need to cut teachers’ salaries out if they aren’t going to be teaching. Been off with pay since the first week of March and demanding to stay home. That’s not gonna fly much longer. 
*edit* I forgot to mention all of the permanently closed businesses that will no longer contribute. 

10 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

The schools are having real funding issues. Lots of Texas school districts get a lot of taxable value from the oil/gas being extracted. When production tanks like it has, those revenues dry up. There are also going to be a lot of people unable to pay their property taxes on time this year because of Covid. Those landlords who haven’t received rent from their tenants since March won’t be paying their property taxes on time this year. 
They really need to cut teachers’ salaries out if they aren’t going to be teaching. Been off with pay since the first week of March and demanding to stay home. That’s not gonna fly much longer. 
*edit* I forgot to mention all of the permanently closed businesses that will no longer contribute. 

I was under the impression that they still taught just moved to online? 

2 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

"You are correct sir." - Ed Mcmahon

So... if you’re a working mom who doesn’t have the option to work from home... how will this work? Put them in daycare and hope the daycare accommodates? If not, leave them at home and educate them after work? 
We have young mothers that work for us. They can’t do their jobs “from home”‘ with kids underfoot, and we can’t pay them to not work indefinitely. We’re going to have to replace them with people who are able to work if this continues. At this point schools are about the only group that isn’t back on the job. 

9 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

So... if you’re a working mom who doesn’t have the option to work from home... how will this work? Put them in daycare and hope the daycare accommodates? If not, leave them at home and educate them after work? 
We have young mothers that work for us. They can’t do their jobs “from home”‘ with kids underfoot, and we can’t pay them to not work indefinitely. We’re going to have to replace them with people who are able to work if this continues. At this point schools are about the only group that isn’t back on the job

I mean, the teachers still worked before summer. And summer isn't over yet...

One could argue that teachers are some of the ones who never left the job.

Guest ECBucFan
On 7/9/2020 at 12:48 PM, WOSgrad said:

These districts are having to make the same hard decisions that businesses have been having to make for months.

Not at EC. We have blank checks ready to go.

40 minutes ago, NetCat said:

I mean, the teachers still worked before summer. And summer isn't over yet...

One could argue that teachers are some of the ones who never left the job.

If somebody else is having to do your job, then you aren’t on the job. 

I was actually dating a school teacher when all of this broke out. If she spent an hour a day “teaching,” I’d be surprised. She got ran off because she had too much time on her hands and didn’t understand that other people (like me) still had to work. 
I can’t imagine what she’d be like in the summers. 
Crisis averted. 

12 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I was actually dating a school teacher when all of this broke out. If she spent an hour a day “teaching,” I’d be surprised. She got ran off because she had too much time on her hands and didn’t understand that other people (like me) still had to work. 
Crisis averted. 

HA HA HAA HAAA HAA!!!!! Sounds like an EX-wife of mine. 😄

On 7/13/2020 at 10:22 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Crisis averted. 

Perhaps you picked the wrong profession.  Perhaps we all did.