Should Port Neches Change Their Mascot

BADSANTA

On 7/8/2020 at 7:19 PM, BADSANTA said:

Let see the history of racism is as strong as the smell of the paper mill in Evadale. 

Whites only After Dark sign that hung in the town until the late 90s. 

Cross burning on the field after the Central football game 

The KKK Meetings held monthly 

-

This is the reason I don't get on this board anymore....everyone is a political pundit and we can't just talk about high school football. Sir, I grew up in Vidor, Tx, am a lifelong resident and everything you have listed here is absolutely wrong.

1. Whites only After Dark sign was taken down in the late 1960's; it was at a private business on Main Street. It was removed along with the Ku Klux Klan store that was there until 1975. That store stood at the intersection of Main and Old Highway 90. I know this because I bought a black friend of mine a T-shirt from there so he could wear it to school (Orange Stark HIgh). We ran track together.

2. Cross was burned at halftime of the Vidor / PA Lincoln game also in 1974. We were leading 14 - 13 at halftime until the idiots (Klan) did this. Lincoln went on to win by 30 after that. I've attended nearly every Vidor home game since the early 70's and don't recall a cross being burned at a Central football game. I do remember both teams going to the center of the football field and praying together after each game.

3. Due to heavy pressure from the FBI, the KKK was essentially gone from my hometown by 1980. Most of the leadership of the KKK relocated to Cleveland, TX. They were also the ones that marched in Vidor when the housing project was desegregated in 1992. This would be the march that Henry Cisneros was involved in.No monthly meetings but if I hear about one, I'll let you know.

4. Black children have been attending Vidor schools since the late 1980's without much fanfare and not any incidents I'm aware of. If President Obama is black, then we have approximately 100 black children in Vidor schools now. But, since none of us Americans can claim a straight, pure racial heritage back to Noah, who knows what race of kids we have. We're all pretty well mongrels.

5. We can't do anything about how much Evadale stinks.

6. BLM marched in Vidor without incident, I know, I was there; I agree with the message in part. Funny thing is that you want to erase the Confederate history of the US but won't forget the history of my hometown. That's the problem with leftists, selective memory and revisionist history.

7. If you truly feel badly about living in Bridge City, be somebody, move to Vidor!!! 

🙌🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Wonderful response to Chicago Tribune recommendation to change Washington Redskins name.

Sports fans and most everybody else will get a kick out of this letter written to the Chicago Tribune. No matter which side you are on in the matter of renaming the Washington Redskins, this is funny.

This is an email supposedly sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins
~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "The Beavers" (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers?)

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins  name I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC.   
Forgot the Chicago Blackhawks !

18 hours ago, robanadana said:

This is the reason I don't get on this board anymore....everyone is a political pundit and we can't just talk about high school football. Sir, I grew up in Vidor, Tx, am a lifelong resident and everything you have listed here is absolutely wrong.

1. Whites only After Dark sign was taken down in the late 1960's; it was at a private business on Main Street. It was removed along with the Ku Klux Klan store that was there until 1975. That store stood at the intersection of Main and Old Highway 90. I know this because I bought a black friend of mine a T-shirt from there so he could wear it to school (Orange Stark HIgh). We ran track together.

2. Cross was burned at halftime of the Vidor / PA Lincoln game also in 1974. We were leading 14 - 13 at halftime until the idiots (Klan) did this. Lincoln went on to win by 30 after that. I've attended nearly every Vidor home game since the early 70's and don't recall a cross being burned at a Central football game. I do remember both teams going to the center of the football field and praying together after each game.

3. Due to heavy pressure from the FBI, the KKK was essentially gone from my hometown by 1980. Most of the leadership of the KKK relocated to Cleveland, TX. They were also the ones that marched in Vidor when the housing project was desegregated in 1992. This would be the march that Henry Cisneros was involved in.No monthly meetings but if I hear about one, I'll let you know.

4. Black children have been attending Vidor schools since the late 1980's without much fanfare and not any incidents I'm aware of. If President Obama is black, then we have approximately 100 black children in Vidor schools now. But, since none of us Americans can claim a straight, pure racial heritage back to Noah, who knows what race of kids we have. We're all pretty well mongrels.

5. We can't do anything about how much Evadale stinks.

6. BLM marched in Vidor without incident, I know, I was there; I agree with the message in part. Funny thing is that you want to erase the Confederate history of the US but won't forget the history of my hometown. That's the problem with leftists, selective memory and revisionist history.

7. If you truly feel badly about living in Bridge City, be somebody, move to Vidor!!! 

I would, but I can't.  I can afford the house, I just can't afford the junked cars and used appliances I'd need to put in the yard to fit in over there.