Should Port Neches Change Their Mascot

BADSANTA

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I always thought it was png@mom.  I was like “when did she start using he/him pronouns?”

Same.  Until this thread.  I always admired “her“ passion for and knowledge of sports.  Now I’m left wondering whether my opinion of png9mon has gone up or down.  Has to be down, right?

7 minutes ago, Mytwocents3788 said:

So what is png gonna do now that they don’t have the support of the Cherokee nation??

Guess they’ll have to change their mascot name to the Purple Abstract’s. Abstract- existing in thought or as an idea but not having a physical or concrete existence. But you still have to be careful because the Thought Police might get you as well! Manufactured Outrage!

The letter says, “Ideations of savagery”?   Evidently, the head of the Cherokee Nation knows little of the history of the indigenous people of America.  By today’s standards, even the first European settlers were savages.   Most of the tribes in America fought constantly.   They were some of the most fierce fighting men anywhere in the world.  Prior to Europeans coming to America, Cherokee’s biggest enemy was the Iroquois.  There were, no doubt, constant battles.   The letter insinuates they were choirboys.

Forgetting the PC aspects, most sports Mascots are something strong and dominating -  Vikings, Giants, Texans, Eagles.  IMO, it’s an honor to be named a Mascot.   That being said, if PNG has to change, please don’t use Bulldogs.  😂

Do you think there are rational non political tribes who find offense to the mascot in PNG? Do you yourself think it’s offensive in some way? As a community are you ok with it? Not judging in any way I honesty don’t believe The intent was racist. It’s a dominant white school who choose a minority as there mascot. I think it was choosen from respect. Maybe a bit of ignorance . But respect 

Point is these or questions PNG faithfull and administration will have to answer.

I say if you want to keep name show more output to the native people ( show them you respect them. Listen to there concerns and come up with a respectful resolution).

I loved watching the PNG when PAM dropped down good fan base good atmosphere. Mascot be straight getting it.

40 minutes ago, baddog said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t give a crap who is offended by a high school mascot? People need to grow a pair......put on their big boy pants.....what a bunch of wusses this country has.

Well, I for one am offended at the name of the Houston Texans. I mean, it’s like saying if your from Texas, you just can’t win!

😂

On 7/8/2020 at 5:08 PM, SmashMouth said:

You are silly... Where does the money come from?

We're the United States of America, aka as the biggest, baddest country to have ever have existed.  We can and do anything we want to. if we want to invade a country, no one can stop us. If we want to send checks to everyone in this country and businesses, we can do that. 

Uncle Sam cut checks to the Native Americans (the Supreme Court just ruled that they own half of Oklahoma still and Tulsa,. of course they owned it, where did you think the OU football team got its name from!),  the Chinese Americans and Japanese Americans. Unk can certainly run that check to us for building this joint.

If he had only gave us our 40 acres and a mule 170 years ago and actually stopped the south from implementing Jim Crow, we wouldn't be having this conversation now

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

The letter says, “Ideations of savagery”?   Evidently, the head of the Cherokee Nation knows little of the history of the indigenous people of America.  By today’s standards, even the first European settlers were savages.   Most of the tribes in America fought constantly.   They were some of the most fierce fighting men anywhere in the world.  Prior to Europeans coming to America, Cherokee’s biggest enemy was the Iroquois.  There were, no doubt, constant battles.   The letter insinuates they were choirboys.

Forgetting the PC aspects, most sports Mascots are something strong and dominating -  Vikings, Giants, Texans, Eagles.  IMO, it’s an honor to be named a Mascot.   That being said, if PNG has to change, please don’t use Bulldogs.  😂

I think the head of the real Cherokee Nation knows more about indigenous people history than you.

Get the head of the cherokee nation on the horn. I’ll tell him he’s a wuss being offended by a high school student dancing in Indian headdress. No on cares about offending white people so forget him.

Some yo-yo from CALIFORNIA started this crap. Probably the same one who was offended by Jap Road. He can take a flying leap. 

41 minutes ago, Lions Pride 2021 said:

I think the head of the real Cherokee Nation knows more about indigenous people history than you.

Great that you started with “I think”.   He should, but his wording in the letter shows either he doesn’t, or more likely, that he wants to sugarcoat it.  Personally, as warriors, men, I put indigenous Americans on a platform, and were I Cherokee, I’d be offended by the remarks he made.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, as you did, and that’s my opinion.

48 minutes ago, baddog said:

Get the head of the cherokee nation on the horn. I’ll tell him he’s a wuss being offended by a high school student dancing in Indian headdress. No on cares about offending white people so forget him.

Some yo-yo from CALIFORNIA started this crap. Probably the same one who was offended by Jap Road. He can take a flying leap. 

The Democrat Race Baiters always come out in a Presidential Election Year to create division. Especially the closer it gets to the election. They want to create the illusion that America and Republicans are racist. And they are the all inclusive party. Fact: The 14th Amendment, giving full citizenship to freed slaves, passed in 1868 with 94% Republican support and 0% Democrat support in Congress.The 15th Amendment, giving freed slaves the right to vote, passed in 1870 with a 100% Republican support and 0% Democrat support in Congress. Same ole song and dance by the Democrats. What’s amazing is some people still fall for it every 4 years. Just like Lucy letting Charlie Brown think that he’s really gonna get to kick the football without her pulling it away before he kicks it. Good Grief!

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

Great that you started with “I think”.   He should, but his wording in the letter shows either he doesn’t, or more likely, that he wants to sugarcoat it.  Personally, as warriors, men, I put indigenous Americans on a platform, and were I Cherokee, I’d be offended by the remarks he made.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, as you did, and that’s my opinion.

He's an actual Cherokee. You're not. That's why I defer to his opinion on the subject and disregard yours. 

You're whole defense is exactly why he wants this imagery removed.

34 minutes ago, Lions Pride 2021 said:

He's an actual Cherokee. You're not. That's why I defer to his opinion on the subject and disregard yours. 

You're whole defense is exactly why he wants this imagery removed.

Please read this for your edification.   

This is the hidden content, please