Should Port Neches Change Their Mascot

BADSANTA

I think it could be considered offensive if you ask anyone of Native American decent. A kid with no Native American ancestors seems to mock Native Americans in that outfit. It could be something alot of schools with the same mascot as PNG see in the near future. I know their will be push back but change is coming. 

27 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

I think it could be considered offensive if you ask anyone of Native American decent. A kid with no Native American ancestors seems to mock Native Americans in that outfit. It could be something alot of schools with the same mascot as PNG see in the near future. I know their will be push back but change is coming. 

other nationalities don't look to get offended or play the victim over nothing unlike yours.....

37 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

It was brought up years ago....they got the ok from the Cherokee Nation to use it so I don't see an issue...if all else fails you can always call them the Royal Purples of Port Neches-Groves after all that's where they stole the colors from (Beaumont High)

Well I heard the Washington Redskins are changing their name to the Washington Foreskins so anything is possible.

33 minutes ago, THE DUDE said:

other nationalities don't look to get offended or play the victim over nothing unlike yours.....

Your the oppressor of course you would see it that way. Maybe if your land was stolen, your people locked forced into slavery, or you were treat unfair you could see it in their eyes. I'm sure your thr same guy who goes to the store and out in public with no mask. 

2 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Your the oppressor of course you would see it that way. Maybe if your land was stolen, your people locked forced into slavery, or you were treat unfair you could see it in their eyes. I'm sure your thr same guy who goes to the store and out in public with no mask. 

LOL. thanks for making my point......

55 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Has then been brought to the table? Is a caucasian person dancing in a Native American outfit and head dress offensive to Native Americans? 

Good topic, bad location. 

I'm sure there are some that are offened. I'm 1/8th native american from my great grandfather. He was sent to the Indian territory in Oklahoma. But I dont claim to be a native american. So it doesn't bother me personally. This letter they have from Cherokee nation only holds so much weight. It's a shame it has come to this. And they're in Jefferson county too. 

35 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

The slur "Redskins" and "Indians" is as racist as using the N-word when you try to degrade African Americans. Flying the Confederate Flag is racist. Understand there is a zero % chance you get to heaven hating someone due to their skin color. 

GOD forgives ALL.

if YOU change your ways now you don't have to end up in HELL.....

6 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

The slur "Redskins" and "Indians" is as racist as using the N-word when you try to degrade African Americans. Flying the Confederate Flag is racist. Understand there is a zero % chance you get to heaven hating someone due to their skin color. 

Where do you come up with that?

I don't see it mocking the Native Americans.  That Indian Spirit aspired, trained, practice and made the costume.  He's not just dancing around on the football field.  He's honoring and portraying a brave human being.  As for changing the name, I think there is nothing wrong with "The Indians".  Now for "The Redskins", that's a little different.

11 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

First off, as a black person, you have no clue what the terms mean to Indians or "Native Americans" or "Indigenous people."

Secondly, you have no idea what that flag means to white southern Americans, so you need to just shut up.  My rights don't end where your opinion comes in.

Just sit over there and keep dropping n-bombs on all of your boys and then get all butthurt if a whiteboy says it.  The word doesn't bother you, white people do. 

They're won't be any hypocrites in Heaven, either.  So you need to make some changes, Santa. 

37 minutes ago, A BUC 77 said:

I don't see it mocking the Native Americans.  That Indian Spirit aspired, trained, practice and made the costume.  He's not just dancing around on the football field.  He's honoring and portraying a brave human being.  As for changing the name, I think there is nothing wrong with "The Indians".  Now for "The Redskins", that's a little different.

Exactly!!! The Principal Chief of The Cherokee nation issued an Ambassador of Goodwill letter to Port Neches-Groves in 1979.  Specifically for The INDIANS of Port Neches-Groves.  As Ambassadors of Goodwill, under The Constitution & By-Laws of the Cherokee Nation with all of the powers & privileges thereto.  Basically, our school represents the best example of honoring the Native American.  The Official Seal of The Cherokee nation has been presented to our school.

7 minutes ago, png9mon said:

Exactly!!! The Principal Chief of The Cherokee nation issued an Ambassador of Goodwill letter to Port Neches-Groves in 1979.  Specifically for The INDIANS of Port Neches-Groves.  As Ambassadors of Goodwill, under The Constitution & By-Laws of the Cherokee Nation with all of the powers & privileges thereto.  Basically, our school represents the best example of honoring the Native American.  The Official Seal of The Cherokee nation has been presented to our school.

I hear what you're saying... but things were different back in 79.  If you guys want to help yourselves, you'd better stop standing behind a letter that was written 40+ years ago and join in with defending other institutions that are under attack from the left.  You know, the same ones that wanted to tear down the cross in PN Park a few years ago. 

Your old letter doesn't make you any different than Evadale's Rebels, Washington's Redskins, or any other institution that is facing attacks today. 

JMO.

56 minutes ago, A BUC 77 said:

They call their campus and fields "The Reservation."  That kinda shows a certain amount of ignorance or at least indifference to what happened to Indians on the part of PN peeps, wouldn't you say?

1 hour ago, NetCat said:

I feel like if you don't live there, or you are not a Native American, you shouldn't be talking about it...it's not our business.

And I mean Tribe level of blood for Native American, lots of us have some down the line 

I had the same thought about the recent name change for WOS defense. But many of yall just had to show out... now its locked and cant even be discussed. Maybe this will go the same route.

29 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

First off, as a black person, you have no clue what the terms mean to Indians or "Native Americans" or "Indigenous people."

Secondly, you have no idea what that flag means to white southern Americans, so you need to just shut up.  My rights don't end where your opinion comes in.

Just sit over there and keep dropping n-bombs on all of your boys and then get all butthurt if a whiteboy says it.  The word doesn't bother you, white people do. 

They're won't be any hypocrites in Heaven, either.  So you need to make some changes, Santa. 

No, no, no.

1st, No color description needed, we are all just people. You dont know what he knows, so dont assume. As well, how do know what native americans think?

2nd, that flag means people refuse to leave the past in its place. There is no place for it in modern society.

15 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

They call their campus and fields "The Reservation."  That kinda shows a certain amount of ignorance or at least indifference to what happened to Indians on the part of PN peeps, wouldn't you say?

18 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

The Official Seal of The Cherokee nation has been presented to our school.

A challenge to our representation & honoring of our mascot is a direct challenge to the Cherokee nation that made us their representatives.  Oh, by the way, the official people of the Cherokee Nation live on a "Reservation", not by their own choice, but they honor their land, people, pride & traditions.  Just as the PNG Nation does the same.  If you have not been raised within this all encompassing atmosphere & heart that is PNG, there is no way I can express it to you, other than for you to know, that my respect for both the Cherokee Nation, that honored our school, and the students of PNG who carry on that respect for the future generations to come, fills me with a spirit that brings me peace.  Change may come, if forced upon us by the government.  PNG will always hold onto to the knowledge that we have done everything to uphold our assignment as Ambassadors of Goodwill. 

Oh, by the way "40" years ago is not so long.  I was in high school when that presentation was made. Please do not trash our letter.

I hope this explains how I feel, as much as I can explain it personally.  Once again, unless you are raised as we were, there is no way for you to grasp the significance of our traditions. 

May God Bless All of The Schools, Teams & Mascots as we go into this trying time & a new school year.  May we work together to see that the children are well educated, good citizens & proud of their schools, communities & traditions.