Is this true? End of an Era at WO-S

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I do love the fact that African American history will be incorporated. I love this move and have always wished that this was a part of studies when I was in school.   Pretty horrible you had to learn about these things as a grown man. I know this part of it is political and not about sports, just felt like this needed to be said.  But if anyone feels like it should be taken down for a topic to be started in the political forum, I can do that.  

I agree. As our world evolves, so must what we teach our children and each and every school district should constantly evaluate that.

4 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Now introducing the "BLUE LINK" defense.

Last season, I had a conversation with an administrator of this site about this same issue. I was asked not to start the discussion then.

I was that administrator and here is why.  After our conversation, I reached out to several of my journalism friends in Orange, including Gary Stelly at KOGT, who assured me that, at that time, they had received no directive from the WO-C CISD to avoid calling the Mustang defense the Chain Gang.  Thus, this would have been pursuing a topic in open forum about an action that the school district that had not taken.

Bravo West Orange-Cove for this move. The world is for those living and coming after us. The school is for the kids and not us old folk who would pull a hamstring just thinking about running a 40.

Let's not be beholden to ghosts. The defense will be just fine. This will be a non issue by game 2.

50 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I agree. As our world evolves, so must what we teach our children and each and every school district should constantly evaluate that.

I agree. We should actually push for multi-cultural studies. This area has many Hispanic, Asian, Cajun, German, etc. cultures. I think it’s great for our kids to learn. 

Chains are a symbol of bondage.

I went to the Equal Justice Initiative a few years ago in Montgomery, Alabama, and the sculpture of Africans in chains at the memorial had me balling out crying.

Good riddance to the chain imagery.

If you haven't had a chance to go, it's worth the drive to go see the museum and memorial. 

49 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Chains are a symbol of bondage.

I went to the Equal Justice Initiative a few years ago in Montgomery, Alabama, and the sculpture of Africans in chains at the memorial had me balling out crying.

Good riddance to the chain imagery.

If you haven't had a chance to go, it's worth the drive to go see the museum and memorial. 

I’ve actually started referring to my bicycle chain as a link drive. 

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

I agree. We should actually push for multi-cultural studies. This area has many Hispanic, Asian, Cajun, German, etc. cultures. I think it’s great for our kids to learn. 

This^

If it's going to be done, it needs to be done right. 

Only two guys I remember on a chain gang was Cool Hand Luke & Dragline.

I do remember LSU backup Defense being referred to as Chinese Bandits in the late 50’s.  That may have been changed so as not to denigrate folks of Chinese ancestry.   But I don’t think the County Jail chain gangs back in the 30’s thru the 50’s, discriminated on color.   But times, they be changing.

One last comment.  Imo, the kids should’ve picked the new name.  

What happens if a fan at a game makes a chain gang reference? Will he or she be asked to leave? Will they be taken under the bleachers and be given a pamphlet on cultural awareness? 

You can call them whatever you want. They are going to knock the hell out of whoever they are playing, and that is all that really matters.

8 hours ago, Go-rilla said:

What happens if a fan at a game makes a chain gang reference? Will he or she be asked to leave? Will they be taken under the bleachers and be given a pamphlet on cultural awareness? 

You can call them whatever you want. They are going to knock the hell out of whoever they are playing, and that is all that really matters.

I will be making the reference alotttt in my new gear!may be put out the game I guess but I have a feeling I won’t be alone.