Is this true? End of an Era at WO-S

19 minutes ago, ladybug33 said:

Do not let the name change fool you, this team defense is loaded and, will give any offensive line in our district more than a fit.  Mustang football is more than a name, it’s a state of mind. This name change will have no effect on how the WOS defense will continue to dominate their opponents. I like the nick name “Drop Kick A$$ Gang” Get into it.

Now we're talking! DKAG

Well if the media keeps pushing that the COVID cases are going up in Texas to stoke fear in stead of the mortality rate going down then they’ll be called the Bench Gang because that’s where they’ll be when the season starts. Along with all the other sensitive nickname gangs. Gotta love election years. Of course I am being facetious!

16 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

It is a little more than that. 

I had a chance to get this from a friend.  It is the poem that gave rise to the Chain Gang:

"I wear a link around my neck

A simple reminder to me

Of the fact that I am a team member

No matter where I may be.

That small link is not magic

Nor is it a good luck charm

It isn't meant to protect me

From every physical harm.

It's simply an understanding

Between my teammates and me.

When I look down at my chest

And the silver oval I do see

I know it's there to remind me

Of what team member should be.

It links me to the team.

It links me to the school.

It is a constant reminder

That there is no place for a fool.

So I wear this link around my neck

To remind me many a time

That a man without conviction

Isn't worth a simple dime."

The Chain Gang, as it was used in the defensive unit at West Orange-Stark High School, was a phrase of brotherhood and unity. 

I have seen several on social media during this time of strife indicate that the best solution of unity can be found in a high school football locker room.  Rather than doing that, the WO-C CISD decided to toss a hand grenade in it.  That is what bothers me most of all.

Although, as I stated previously, I remain confident that Mustang defense will be the same whether you call them the Chain Gang, the Blue Link or the Pink Vaginas, a very small part of me wonders what effect this episode will have when the Mustangs hit the field.

This is good info. It’s an inspiring poem and I could see how that mindset instilled in a team could get more effort and focus out of players. But as a casual fan with no direct connection to the team or school the nickname doesn’t phase me one way or another and I don’t see how it effects anyone else other than homers. If your upset because they’re attempting to ban confederate flags JUST SAY THAT

15 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

This is good info. It’s an inspiring poem and I could see how that mindset instilled in a team could get more effort and focus out of players. But as a casual fan with no direct connection to the team or school the nickname doesn’t phase me one way or another and I don’t see how it effects anyone else other than homers. If your upset because they’re attempting to ban confederate flags JUST SAY THAT

Wow.  My disagreement over the district changing a name of a team is interpreted as support for the Confederate flag (which I don't).

Folks, Exhibit 1 as to why nothing regarding race will ever be solved has just been submitted.

2 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Wow.  My disagreement over the district changing a name of a team is interpreted as support for the Confederate flag (which I don't).

Folks, Exhibit 1 as to why nothing regarding race will ever be solved has just been submitted.

That part of the comment wasn’t toward you Grad. I completely understand your concern. The first part was directed to you. The last part was directed to the people not directly connected to the WOS program that seem so awfully triggered by thIs small change. (And I know it may not be a small change to people directly connected to the program) 

1 minute ago, Setx fan said:

That part of the comment wasn’t toward you Grad. I completely understand your concern. The first part was directed to you. The last part was directed to the people not directly connected to the WOS program that seem so awfully triggered by thIs small change. (And I know it may not be a small change to people directly connected to the program) 

I get that.

In all fairness, I don't believe that most people commenting on this post (who don't have direct ties to WO-S) are concerned about it changing the way the Defense plays....WO-S has a great football program, no doubt about it. I think "joe public" is more concerned with where the "we'll decide for you what is offensive, political, oppressive, etc" will end. I believe the young men who work their tails off should decide on what they call themselves, regardless of what some may conceive as "Woke". They should decide if they feel they're supporting "systemic" racism or encouraging oppression by claiming their Chain Gang defense title. Was that considered? Was a vote held? 

THAT is what people have a problem with....why the they decide for themselves?