Is this true? End of an Era at WO-S

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

I just wish it would all end. The fact that Port Neches kids dress up like Indians and go to war at the reservation. Not a big deal for me. The fact that the Evadale Rebels are right up the road. Not a big deal for me. The fact that the Chain Gang wants to be called Blue Link. Still not a big deal. What IS a big deal to me is that there are no more choices. It’s “be PC” or you're a satan worshipping godless person who hates his own children. I won’t be judged like that. Let’s get a grip and keep living our lives. I’m so excited for the kids who get to play ball. I wish I still could. I’m not gonna detract or distract if possible as relates to a bunch of kids who wanna be athletes. All this crap is a bunch of BS, I agree. But starting today, I’m going to focus on the positive side. I hope we all do. 

I’m gonna go out on a limb by myself and bet every dollar that I have and all I could borrow that the players aren’t the ones demanding the name change...

Am I wrong?

4 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

😴. I’m guessing this is a big deal because it’s WOS. Or maybe there’s just nothing else to talk about. IDK but it’s not a big deal to me. Just a nickname 

It would be a big deal if you’ve been a WOS supporter or player or anything close to the program....oh and hate politics too I guess 

7 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I'm not on fakebook, but I've been told that this has been a sour subject on there for years. I'm sure it will come out soon. Let's hope that there isn't more fallout over this.

My wife threw a name out to me from some of the fb mess...I’m not surprised 

40 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb by myself and bet every dollar that I have and all I could borrow that the players aren’t the ones demanding the name change...

Am I wrong?

Some have suggested that they didn't know of the negative origins of the phrase. Which led to the development of the new class.

Thanks to @Mr. Buddy Garrity for posting the updated article on page 2. It has reactions from recent graduates and current players.

On 6/24/2020 at 1:16 PM, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING said:

The name doesn't change anything still will be dominating to anyone who gets in the way. There  are more things the world important than this. And for you who don't know the kids of 1999 or 2000 came up with the name, all the name, never was the coaching staff. It was crunch time posse for the longest.

Been a while since they dominated everything in front of them. 

20 minutes ago, wo-s#1 said:

It would be a big deal if you’ve been a WOS supporter or player or anything close to the program....oh and hate politics too I guess 

I understand it being meaningful to WOS homers and players. Just wondering why everyone else is so triggered about the nickname of a portion of WOS team. It’s not even the actual name, mascot, or logo. And I am a casual fan of WOS by the way although I’m a Woodville homer 

27 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

😴. I’m guessing this is a big deal because it’s WOS. Or maybe there’s just nothing else to talk about. IDK but it’s not a big deal to me. Just a nickname 

I'm just glad to talk about football. Sad that it is politcal. Even worse thats its not the virus.

2 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

I understand it being meaningful to WOS homers and players. Just wondering why everyone else is so triggered about the nickname of a portion of WOS team. It’s not even the actual name, mascot, or logo. And I am a casual fan of WOS by the way although I’m a Woodville homer 

What's crazy is on Facebook it's non-WOS graduates and mostly non-Orange residents who are in an uproar over the nickname change and class added. Funny stuff. 

I always assumed that the “chain gang” tag was a play on words... but specifically dealt with the defense not allowing the offense to “move the chains.”  You just seem to lose a little bit of the history that came with decades of defensive dominance by unit after unit over there. You just expected a tough, nasty bunch working as a unit. 
It’s a title that those kids earned and it was respected. Even whenever players over there got in trouble, you never heard people like me saying “well, what do you expect from the chain gang?” The name just never had that kind of connotation for us. 
It’s just sad to see young people offended by things that have never occurred in their lifetimes. It’s all fun and games until the mob comes after something you care about. 

4 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I always assumed that the “chain gang” tag was a play on words... but specifically dealt with the defense not allowing the offense to “move the chains.”  You just seem to lose a little bit of the history that came with decades of defensive dominance by unit after unit over there. You just expected a tough, nasty bunch working as a unit. 
It’s a title that those kids earned and it was respected. Even whenever players over there got in trouble, you never heard people like me saying “well, what do you expect from the chain gang?” The name just never had that kind of connotation for us. 
It’s just sad to see young people offended by things that have never occurred in their lifetimes. It’s all fun and games until the mob comes after something you care about. 

Once again you thought correct as far as I’m concerned(along with all the other opinions I know of)never even thought of anything else...people are just reaching these days and I just have to accept that!!

5 hours ago, Setx fan said:

It is a little more than that. 

I had a chance to get this from a friend.  It is the poem that gave rise to the Chain Gang:

"I wear a link around my neck

A simple reminder to me

Of the fact that I am a team member

No matter where I may be.

That small link is not magic

Nor is it a good luck charm

It isn't meant to protect me

From every physical harm.

It's simply an understanding

Between my teammates and me.

When I look down at my chest

And the silver oval I do see

I know it's there to remind me

Of what team member should be.

It links me to the team.

It links me to the school.

It is a constant reminder

That there is no place for a fool.

So I wear this link around my neck

To remind me many a time

That a man without conviction

Isn't worth a simple dime."

The Chain Gang, as it was used in the defensive unit at West Orange-Stark High School, was a phrase of brotherhood and unity. 

I have seen several on social media during this time of strife indicate that the best solution of unity can be found in a high school football locker room.  Rather than doing that, the WO-C CISD decided to toss a hand grenade in it.  That is what bothers me most of all.

Although, as I stated previously, I remain confident that Mustang defense will be the same whether you call them the Chain Gang, the Blue Link or the Pink Vaginas, a very small part of me wonders what effect this episode will have when the Mustangs hit the field.

11 hours ago, 4thstring said:

Been a while since they dominated everything in front of them. 

I losing season in the last 40 years,120 shutouts and counting defense is usually the top 10 in state every year, several times the best in the state should I continue, you're school or any other program you know of putting up those kinda of numbers I'll wait I'm at work work for 12 to 16 ours so I have played of time for your reply. Its even been time where we didn't win and teams told  to us we were the most physical defense that ever played and they were just happy to get out of there alive, and refuse to play us because of how pshysical we play. So yes like I said we are dominating and will always be dominating no matter the outcome. But if you feel like we haven't done anything in a while because silsbee has got the best of us in the last couple years in the playoffs and congrats to them or whatever ever the case me be. The tell your school to give 112% a phone call and see if they want to find out just how dominating we can be or has your school already tasted the horseshoe and your lip is still long about it.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 1:16 PM, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING said:

The name doesn't change anything still will be dominating to anyone who gets in the way. There  are more things the world important than this. And for you who don't know the kids of 1999 or 2000 came up with the name, all the name, never was the coaching staff. It was crunch time posse for the longest.

No posse's, no chains, no gangs. Can't have any of that now days.

But you can have Blue Links. :)

Do not let the name change fool you, this team defense is loaded and, will give any offensive line in our district more than a fit.  Mustang football is more than a name, it’s a state of mind. This name change will have no effect on how the WOS defense will continue to dominate their opponents. I like the nick name “Drop Kick A$$ Gang” Get into it.