SETXsports.com Team Previews - ORANGEFIELD BOBCATS

logo.png

2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PREVIEWS

Orangefield.png

ORANGEFIELD BOBCATS

2019 Record: 9-2 Overall, 7-1 District

District 12-3A-I Runner Up

After a rough start in the 3A, Division I ranks in 2018, the Orangefield Bobcats found their footing, rolling to a 9-2 season.  The Bobcat's stay in 3A was a cut a bit short by the UIL's February realignment as the numbers dictated a bump back up to Class 4A, Division II.  However, the outlook is still bright as the Bobcats will enter 11-4A-II play with seven offensive starters and four defenders return to make a push for the playoffs.

COACHING

Head Coach: Josh Smalley

Assistant Coaches: John Davis (Defensive Coordinator/Strong Safeties), Chris Pachuca (Offensive Coach/Offensive Line), Todd Trawhon (Defensive Tackles), Randy Brevell (Defensive Ends), Joe Peevey (Linebackers), Dennis Vansa (Cornerbacks), Ryan Pickering (Running Backs), Tim Erickson (Offensive Line), Lee Legate, Richard Droulliard, Ryan Ragsdale, Joseph Hoyt

OFFENSE

The Orangefield Slot -T returns seven starters in 2020.  Two year starting quarterback Gunner Jones returns to guide the Bobcat offense.  The remainder of the backfield have some growing up to do as junior running back Dwight Davis, senior running back Garrison Hughes,  sophomore Gavin Perry-Koci, senior fullback Matthew Engle, junior fullback Hunter Ashworth and junior halfback Macoy Marze will share the rushing load.  Senior split ends Logan Gipson and Quade Clark and senior tight end Mason Sampson (2nd team all-district) will comprise the Bobcat receiver corp.  Seniors Kyler (1st team all-district) and Grant Metts, junior guard Coby Coulter (2nd team all-district) and junior center Cutler Hubbard bring a wealth of experience to the offensive line which will also include junior lineman Dylan Whitman.

DEFENSE

Four starters return to the Orangefield 4-3 defense in 2020.  Defensive ends Ashworth and senior Trevor Jenkins return to a defensive line which will also feature Hunter Norwood, Kyler Metts and Coulter.  Marze, senior Clayton Westbrook and sophomore Cameron Dischler will line up at linebacker.  Senior Tyler Washington and Davis will anchor the Bobcat secondary.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Jones and Clark will handle the kicking duties while Jones will handle the punting.  Davis will be the primary kick returner.

SCHEDULE

Aug. 28 - at Anahuac, 7:30 pm

Sept. 4 - Woodville, 7:30 pm

Sept. 11 - at Livingston, 7:30 pm

Sept. 18 - Buna, 7:30 pm

Sept. 25 - at Silsbee, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 2 - OPEN

Oct. 9 - Liberty, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 16 - at West Orange-Stark, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 23 - Bridge City, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 30 - at Hamshire-Fannett, 7:30 pm*

Nov. 6 - Hardin-Jefferson, 7:30 pm*

STADIUM INFORMATION

Name: F.L. McClain Stadium

Address: FM 105 at Granger Ln., Orangefield, TX

Capacity: 3,030

Turf: Grass

Helmet Image Courtesy of texasfootball.com:

This is the hidden content, please

Stadium Information Courtesy of TexasBob.com Texas Football Stadium Database:

This is the hidden content, please

2 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

That caught my eye, too.  Why not?  I thought. Coach Smalley has already hired both of his older sisters!

It's cool. He needs to get some experience somewhere. Yes he has. Surprised its not the whole family by now. I'll ask next time I see em round town.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    komalneha
    Newest Member
    komalneha