UIL Lifts Friday Night Broadcast Ban

WOSgrad

Dr. Charles Breithaupt has just announced that for the 2020 only that video broadcast of Friday night football games will be allowed.

From Matt Stepp:

"BREAKING contingent upon a 2020
This is the hidden content, please
season the UIL WILL lift the Friday night live broadcast ban during the regular season.... This will be for 2020, both schools must agree to the broadcast...Dr. Breithaupt says they want to protect Friday night, but this yr is an exception"

45 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Dr. Charles Breithaupt has just announced that for the 2020 only that video broadcast of Friday night football games will be allowed.

From Matt Stepp:

"BREAKING contingent upon a 2020
This is the hidden content, please
season the UIL WILL lift the Friday night live broadcast ban during the regular season.... This will be for 2020, both schools must agree to the broadcast...Dr. Breithaupt says they want to protect Friday night, but this yr is an exception"

That is the key statement.

I see some third party entities trying to muscle their way in without consent.

33 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Hey Grad, what are your thoughts/concerns about this?

Well, Soulja on its face, SETXsports.com broadcasts should not be effected as folks need to remember that the context that "broadcast", as it is being used today, is video broadcast.  We have not done that and, as far as I know, there were no plans for us to do that in 2020 for football.

Now, will guidelines like getting permission from both schools affect us if they are extended to audio broadcasts?  Not really.  It is probably known to few, but the UIL has required of broadcasters, both video and audio, to gain permission of both schools for any playoff broadcast for the last 4 years so we have a system down pat to gain those should we be required to so and those who have been involved with broadcasting during that time, like Legacy, Texan Live, KOGT, KLVI, Cool 92.5 and The Eagle have as well.

As to concerns, there are many questions on how this will ultimately be implemented, so I'll reserve further comment until I see the UIL's final guidelines.

7 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

We have been doing this for 4 years during the playoffs and I have never had a coach or AD refuse us.

My point being just how many broadcast entities are allowed permission for one game?

That is my concern. I can see third party entities trying to replace radio/internet entities that have been broadcasting certain schools for years. I can definitely see a clash for press box space.

26 minutes ago, NetCat said:

Anyone have any info on UIL allowing people at the games?

I heard a rumor that it was for sure going to happen...but that guy may have been pulling my chain. 

Well, here is what we know.  At the UIL Legislative Conference last week, Dr. Breithaupt said that "currently" the UIL was planing on 1) a full schedule with 2) an on time start and 3)full fan capacity.

However, a couple of weeks before, Governor Abbott had a conference call with state FBS schools (ie, UT, A&M, etc) and stated that 50% capacity in stadiums would be as high as he is willing to go for football season.  That and the UIL signaling willingness to budge off of a rule that it has rigorously defended and stuck to forever (the prohibition against video broadcasts on Friday night) indicates to me that if there are fans, it will be no more than 50% capacity.

6 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, here is what we know.  At the UIL Legislative Conference last week, Dr. Breithaupt said that "currently" the UIL was planing on 1) a full schedule with 2) an on time start and 3)full fan capacity.

However, a couple of weeks before, Governor Abbott had a conference call with state FBS schools (ie, UT, A&M, etc) and stated that 50% capacity in stadiums would be as high as he is willing to go for football season.  That and the UIL signaling willingness to budge off of a rule that it has rigorously defended and stuck to forever (the prohibition against video broadcasts on Friday night) indicates to me that if there are fans, it will be no more than 50% capacity.

I wonder if that’s total capacity or per side? I would sit on the other team’s side just to watch a ball game. 

28 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Thank you