2020 9-5A div 1

23 minutes ago, pakronos said:

with the top three spots seemingly sewed up, what if laporte wins/upsets GCM, that puts them at 3-3 and tied with GCM. i noticed in the playoff central thread, laporte isn't even mentioned. they are not mathematically elminated. am i correct?

Correct. I think he just posted who could clinch this week. 

The teams out of 9-5A-I are set.  Memorial #1 seed.  Lee, United and GCM are all tied for 2nd and all have clinched playoff spots.

Lee can clinch the #2 seed with a win.

United can clinch the #2 seed with a win and a Lee loss.

GCM can clinch the #2 seed with a win and a Lee loss.

45 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

To simplify that further

If Lee wins in Week 11, the winner of the United/GCM game will have the #3 seed and the loser the #4 seed.

If Lee loses in Week 11, the winner of the United/GCM game will have the #2 and the loser the #4 seed.

Go to bed. You done enough

47 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Smh, Beaumont United is such an enigma. Congrats to those kids at Lee, who knew moving up a division would increase their playoff prospects? Maybe the GCCISD administration did? 

This is only year 3 for us, so not much of a chance to become an enigma.  Baby steps is all I asked and was always the goal and we’re here and will make the best of the current opportunity.  

5 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

Lee would have been a problem in D2.  Maybe battle Crosby for the DC

Lee was 4-10 in our district during the last alignment. They went 2-5 both years. Even with a lot of improvement they would’ve been 4-3 and finished 5th this year. You’ll see what I’m saying when y’all line up with 10-5A

1 minute ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Lee was 4-10 in our district during the last alignment. They went 2-5 both years. Even with a lot of improvement they would’ve been 4-3 and finished 5th this year. You’ll see what I’m saying when y’all line up with 10-5A

PN-G's defense is porous.  I've watched BH play.  They could beat them.  #2 for REL may have lead the district in rushing.  With the Dayton transfer at QB, Lee would have challenged for district.  Period

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

This is only year 3 for us, so not much of a chance to become an enigma.  Baby steps is all I asked and was always the goal and we’re here and will make the best of the current opportunity.  

Do you make that same argument in basketball? Crosby would probably beat United by the same 40 we just beat PNG by in football. Crosby is/will be very good in basketball this year because of our talent level relative to the classification, we’ll still get mauled by United though. In football BU has the same raw talent level as FB Marshall, why do you need baby steps there? 

Just now, Cougar14.2 said:

Do you make that same argument in basketball? Crosby would probably beat United by the same 40 we just beat PNG by in football. Crosby is/will be very good in basketball this year because of our talent level relative to the classification, we’ll still get mauled by United though. In football BU has the same raw talent level as FB Marshall, why do you need baby steps there? 

No, I watched the MC schools and BH play and I didn't say they would beat Crosby, I said challenge.  Do you need to revisit reading comprehension classes because I was clear on what I typed

5 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

PN-G's defense is porous.  I've watched BH play.  They could beat them.  #2 for REL may have lead the district in rushing.  With the Dayton transfer at QB, Lee would have challenged for district.  Period

As much as I want to call flat out bs on this post I will say that the 24-0 game with Dayton has been our closest so far in district play. Probably would’ve been even closer had he stayed. I still think PAM is the only team that could’ve made the playoffs in 12-5A-D2 from your district though. 

16 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Baby steps meaning 3 years, no playoffs.  Now we’re here.  Next step will probably be competing for a district championship, step after that, a farther playoff push, maybe another step is an undefeated season.  Things like that.  

as far as talent and athletes go, yes, we have it, but everyone knows the first coach in school history was chosen not by the better coach, but was picked by a political view... a coach that was no even originally on the applicant list.  A coach that have not coached in 20 years, a coach tjay was gonna be out after 2 years.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/15/2020 at 1:12 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I would switch United and Port Arthur Memorial. The rest looks on point. 

The run for a district title will be fun to watch, especially if GCM throws a wrench into the mix. 

It's funny running back thru district threads like this. Hopefully 2021 is another fun season but with normalcy and no storms. 

On 11/21/2020 at 12:41 PM, Austin1985 said:

Probably the funniest post in the whole thread right here. He's right about one thing, PNG's defense is porous. Probably had the best defensive performance in 12-5A all year holding FBM to 21 in bi-district though.  

9-5A-D1: "Man, Lee is good. They could probably win 12-5A-D2"

12-5A-D2: "Lee was 4-10 in our district during the last alignment. They went 2-5 both years. Even with a lot of improvement they would’ve been 4-3 and finished 5th this year. You’ll see what I’m saying when y’all line up with 10-5A"

Result: Lee finishes runner-up in 9-5A-D1 and loses to third place Katy Paetow 70-18 in bi-district play after Paetow beats BH 21-20 earlier in the season.  

As for #2 leading the district in rushing, here were the top 3 rushers in 12-5A-D2:

Reggie Branch - 1,784 yards

Josh Mazyck - 1,527

Semaj McCall - 1,356 + BH game 

As for the 2021 bi-district outlook in 9-5A-D1, don't expect much different. Manvel lost their stud QB but brings back both rbs and should still win the district. Foster will take a slight step back but with how good they are at the lines of scrimmage it won't matter much in the first round. Paetow should be even better next year, they lost their stud rb but it will be their first year with a full involuntary senior class and will probably be at 6A enrollment. Hightower will probably be about the same as last year but their qb was only a freshman and they'll have those Mo City athletes to deal with. Angleton finished 5th last year after having corona issues all season but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them finish 2nd. Toughest district in the state IMO and just an awful draw for 9-5A-D1. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Probably the funniest post in the whole thread right here. He's right about one thing, PNG's defense is porous. Probably had the best defensive performance in 12-5A all year holding FBM to 21 in bi-district though.  

9-5A-D1: "Man, Lee is good. They could probably win 12-5A-D2"

12-5A-D2: "Lee was 4-10 in our district during the last alignment. They went 2-5 both years. Even with a lot of improvement they would’ve been 4-3 and finished 5th this year. You’ll see what I’m saying when y’all line up with 10-5A"

Result: Lee finishes runner-up in 9-5A-D1 and loses to third place Katy Paetow 70-18 in bi-district play after Paetow beats BH 21-20 earlier in the season.  

As for #2 leading the district in rushing, here were the top 3 rushers in 12-5A-D2:

Reggie Branch - 1,784 yards

Josh Mazyck - 1,527

Semaj McCall - 1,356 + BH game 

As for the 2021 bi-district outlook in 9-5A-D1, don't expect much different. Manvel lost their stud QB but brings back both rbs and should still win the district. Foster will take a slight step back but with how good they are at the lines of scrimmage it won't matter much in the first round. Paetow should be even better next year, they lost their stud rb but it will be their first year with a full involuntary senior class and will probably be at 6A enrollment. Hightower will probably be about the same as last year but their qb was only a freshman and they'll have those Mo City athletes to deal with. Angleton finished 5th last year after having corona issues all season but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them finish 2nd. Toughest district in the state IMO and just an awful draw for 9-5A-D1. 

I said challenged.  So let me clarify.  REL would have been in all the games and would have been in the hunt for DC.  I don't know if they can go TD for TD but they were a scrappy bunch.  

On the playing 10 5A D1 in the 1st round, I knew when the districts came out PA would find it tough to get out of the 1st round let alone the region so there's that......

18 hours ago, Austin1985 said:

I said challenged.  So let me clarify.  REL would have been in all the games and would have been in the hunt for DC.  I don't know if they can go TD for TD but they were a scrappy bunch.  

On the playing 10 5A D1 in the 1st round, I knew when the districts came out PA would find it tough to get out of the 1st round let alone the region so there's that......

Our third place team lost 21-20 to Paetow, 9-5A's runner-up Lee lost 70-18. Lee gave up 44 points in a squeaker to 1-8 Galveston Ball. They only scored 14 in a 20+ point loss to 6th place La Porte. The hot start they had to the season this year was the same as 2019 when they started 52-0 over 6A Westbury, 75-35 over Splendora and 54-27 over Galena Park. They were scrappy in 2019 with a better qb and still went 2-5 in district play. The only difference this year is that they switched districts. When they played a team solid on both sides of the ball they lost by 50+. 

My co-worker's kids go to Sterling but he's a die hard Lee alumnus and he told himself that he though the main reason for Lee's success was because they were playing in a more "friendly" district. That's just one man's opinion but he's probably seen more Baytown football than anybody on this site the last 10-15 years so I give it some value. You sound like Texas High guy talking about how they would run through our district before Crosby went out to east Texas and dropped a 60 piece on them.