Systemic Racism

Chester86

All jokes aside, they updated Aunt Jemima’s image a few years ago. She looked less like “Mammy” (I don’t know nothin’ bout birthin’ no babies, Miss Scarlett!) and more like a black mom from the Brady Bunch. My guess is that the people complaining probably haven’t looked at the packaging lately. 

It’s also important to note that “Mammy” was played by an accomplished actress who earned an academy award for her work in that classic. First Oscar for an African American, btw. 

This is the hidden content, please

The amazing part is that ol’ racist show is getting canned at the same time people are complaining that not enough black people get Oscars... so they cancel the movie that resulted in the first Oscar for a POC. 

It’s surreal. 

9 hours ago, PAMFAM10 said:

I’ve never brought this brand I always thought it was racist. 

I’m sure that was PepsiCo’s reasoning behind the brand, to make sure that at least 14% of the population would never buy the product plus anyone else that would be offended by the label.

Marketing Genius 101

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

All jokes aside, they updated Aunt Jemima’s image a few years ago. She looked less like “Mammy” (I don’t know nothin’ bout birthin’ no babies, Miss Scarlett!) and more like a black mom from the Brady Bunch. My guess is that the people complaining probably haven’t looked at the packaging lately. 

It’s also important to note that “Mammy” was played by an accomplished actress who earned an academy award for her work in that classic. First Oscar for an African American, btw. 

This is the hidden content, please

The amazing part is that ol’ racist show is getting canned at the same time people are complaining that not enough black people get Oscars... so they cancel the movie that resulted in the first Oscar for a POC. 

It’s surreal. 

I think the birthing babies scene was Prissy,  Butterfly McQueen, not McDaniel.  

7 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I think the birthing babies scene was Prissy,  Butterfly McQueen, not McDaniel.  

You’re probably right ... it’s been a while since I’ve watched it. 

All jokes aside, we watched it in public school. They warned us about the language.... Rhett said “d@mn,” lol. 

We also read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn... can you imagine the poop storm if they got kids to read those novels instead of the transgender-indoctrination crap they spoonfeed the kids these days? It’s another illustration of how far we’ve already come, but at the same time these kids are convinced that we’re living in the most oppressed environmental in history. 

Guest ECBucFan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that every individual is accountable for his own actions"  

-- Ronald Reagan

Of course that is diametrically opposed to the popular narrative that every person unlucky enough to be born with white skin is a hood wearing hard core racist, and that every black person is an eternal victim of the white man no matter how many advantages they have in life and how much government support they get.   

1 hour ago, ECBucFan said:

"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that every individual is accountable for his own actions"  

-- Ronald Reagan

Of course that is diametrically opposed to the popular narrative that every person unlucky enough to be born with white skin is a hood wearing hard core racist, and that every black person is an eternal victim of the white man no matter how many advantages they have in life and how much government support they get.   

Good Reagan quote.

Do any of you remember his farewell address? I distinctly remember him warning the nation that we need to be teaching the love for our country and love for freedom. He was afraid what only teaching the bad would do to us as a nation...and look what's happened. 

• 7 months later...