Best rivalries in SE Texas or other places

1 minute ago, CardinalBacker said:

I disagree.  I don't think anybody believes MCM will be the same this year if they are forced to play in an empty stadium.   

Have you ever been to a MCM?  

I’ve been to Nederland and PN-G games, but not MCM.  I’d like to go one day.  My Big bro Biaplayer been inviting me for years...

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Let's be honest.... there's Mid County Madness and then everybody else.  

Attendance is a big part of it.  When tickets can't be had and every seat is filled..... You know the crowd is 100% pumped on both sides of the field. 

Relative parity is important, too.  The fact that the series is relatively close and the fact that you can throw the current season records out the window at kickoff because it's anybody's game.  

Throw the records out the window.  That describes MCM to a T.

Yep, as posted previously, there’s MCM and everything else, and imo, that includes the whole State.

21 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

It’s a factor,  it not important.  And you didn’t answer my question...

To answer your question "attendance" and "atmosphere" are not the same thing. Attendance can contribute to atmosphere. This assumes "atmosphere" is even something we can define. 

However, atmosphere is important. It isn't necessarily the most important thing, or even the second most important thing. But it does matter when it comes to evaluating something as subjective as a rivalry. "Atmosphere," as far as MCM goes, is extremely hard to produce, or reproduce. We've been working on MCM's atmosphere for about a century. If it wasn't hard to produce, every school in the area would have an "atmosphere" to speak of. Remember, we aren't talking about what wins games, we are simply talking about what factors matter for comparing one rivalry to another, and in the case of MCM, the atmosphere is an important factor. 8,000 to 13,000 people in attendance (and everyone knows that it would be higher with bigger stadiums), with who knows how many others tuning in on the radio, with people listening in from all over the country (and, on occasion, from all over the world -- I've listened to PNG/NED games with people emailing in from Korea, Europe, Iraq, and all over the USA, and that's just on the PNG side of the broadcast). And throw in the fact that both teams are usually among the stronger teams in the area, with absolutely rabid fan bases. Then throw in the fact that the communities are basically right next to each other and tightly intertwined. Then throw in the nearly year-round trash talk and the crazed roar of the crowd throughout every second of the game. It's a pretty good recipe for "atmosphere," and an important factor for comparing one rivalry to another. You can judge it based on the attention the game gets on this site alone. 

If we were talking about what wins games, the above wouldn't matter as much (though I'm certain it contributes to why other teams find it so hard to beat PNG and Nederland at home).

7 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I’ve been to many games where everything else you mentioned was on a high level, except attendance. Would that equate to lots of atmosphere? 

and based on what you’re saying, you really should go to a Memorial/BU game. Because this is the perfect example of what I just stated.  Bands, drill teams, cheer leading, post game shinnanigans.

Another topic, I do hold firm on my belief that ‘atmosphere’ does not win or lose ball games...

Personally I do think attendance matters. A true rivalry shuts cities down and everyone is there. It’s not a question if you are going to the game, it’s assumed you are. Of course there are only so many seats. I’ve been to games that had everything that I said, shoot I have coached in volleyball games where the players couldn’t hear you five feet away even if you screamed what you wanted to tell them. I know a lot of basketball games in our area get that intense. But, for me, for it to be rivalry...this has to be the atmosphere every year. 

One year I’ll have to check out that game. I imagine it’s pretty intense. Two biggest cities in our area facing off.

2 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

To answer your question "attendance" and "atmosphere" are not the same thing. Attendance can contribute to atmosphere. This assumes "atmosphere" is even something we can define. 

However, atmosphere is important. It isn't necessarily the most important thing, or even the second most important thing. But it does matter when it comes to evaluating something as subjective as a rivalry. "Atmosphere," as far as MCM goes, is extremely hard to produce, or reproduce. We've been working on MCM's atmosphere for about a century. If it wasn't hard to produce, every school in the area would have an "atmosphere" to speak of. Remember, we aren't talking about what wins games, we are simply talking about what factors matter for comparing one rivalry to another, and in the case of MCM, the atmosphere is an important factor. 8,000 to 13,000 people in attendance (and everyone knows that it would be higher with bigger stadiums), with who knows how many others tuning in on the radio, with people listening in from all over the country (and, on occasion, from all over the world -- I've listened to PNG/NED games with people emailing in from Korea, Europe, Iraq, and all over the USA, and that's just on the PNG side of the broadcast). And throw in the fact that both teams are usually among the stronger teams in the area, with absolutely rabid fan bases. Then throw in the fact that the communities are basically right next to each other and tightly intertwined. Then throw in the nearly year-round trash talk and the crazed roar of the crowd throughout every second of the game. It's a pretty good recipe for "atmosphere," and an important factor for comparing one rivalry to another. You can judge it based on the attention the game gets on this site alone. 

If we were talking about what wins games, the above wouldn't matter as much (though I'm certain it contributes to why other teams find it so hard to beat PNG and Nederland at home).

One thing to add,  people coming back into town from all over the country to see the game.

5 hours ago, Yeoj said:

If my team lost to a team 20+ years in row, I would probably say that to. What will be your excuse this year when United doesn't do well? 

United seems to be on the rise. They still have the disadvantage of being small in 6a, so they probably won't go far in the playoffs, but they looked dangerous last year. 

Way back in the day, one of the funnest rivalries in my opinion was Charleton-Pollard vs. Hebert. It was always a good game held at Lamar because the High School stadium wasn't big enough and it featured easily the best half time show in Southeast Texas My dad refereed the game a few time and my family would go with him to watch. Always exciting. I miss those days.