Best rivalries in SE Texas or other places

Since we all are waiting on football like everyone else I thought maybe we could mention the best rivalries in this area or other areas you have attended... For me it's a hit or miss due to the fact Shepherd is our chief rivals especially since they have won a lot against us during the past decade (prior before the 2004 season they only won 10 I think against us) and we do have Cleveland but now they are 5A D1 now but outside our area the best rivalry I've witnessed was Longview and Marshall when I stayed in Longview for 6 years but what are you guys opinion is?

I’d have to go with LCM vs BC. It started in the early 1980’s. It’s usually heated a lot of personal fouls. Both student section chanting back and forth and someone usually damages some school property during the week. LCM leads the series to bad we don’t get to play them this upcoming season.   

5 hours ago, LC-M said:

I’d have to go with LCM vs BC. It started in the early 1980’s. It’s usually heated a lot of personal fouls. Both student section chanting back and forth and someone usually damages some school property during the week. LCM leads the series to bad we don’t get to play them this upcoming season.   

The year somebody burnt a giant penis on your field, lol.  

5 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I know BU is quite new, but the BU vs PA Memorial rivalry is pretty intense, all sports.  Factor that in the decade long Beaumont vs Port Arthur rivalry AND they are in the same district.  This will be fun this year.  I can’t wait.

I'm glad you didn't say West Brook! lmao...

14 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

‘Atmosphere’ does not count.  

PNG & Nederland:

The rivalry is coming up on 100 years old

Easily brings in the most attendance for any rivalry game in the area (and can certainly challenge other rivalries in the state for attendance)

Back-and-forth from year-to-year

Close, intense games (almost every year) usually decided by one score

Recognized as the best rivalry in the state 2x by Texas Football magazine

2 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

PNG & Nederland:

The rivalry is coming up on 100 years old

Easily brings in the most attendance for any rivalry game in the area (and can certainly challenge other rivalries in the state for attendance)

Back-and-forth from year-to-year

Close, intense games (almost every year) usually decided by one score

Recognized as the best rivalry in the state 2x by Texas Football magazine

So is ‘atmosphere’ synonymous to attendance?

9 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

First, we need to define ‘atmosphere’ in this context...

My thoughts on atmosphere would be everything. The number of fans, the intensity on the field, the bands and drill team in the stands, the thickness in the air, etc. A true rivalry atmosphere doesn’t begin the day of the game. It’s looked at and marked the day a schedule comes out. The atmosphere begins to build then. Each week leading up do it the excitement and nerves get larger. Finally, when that game before is over everything immediately changes in those two school districts. I’ve been to several rivalry games and I’m not sure if anything compares to PNG and Nederland. I haven’t been to all of them so I’m not 100% sure. There is just something different about that game. 

1 hour ago, JSnipes said:

My thoughts on atmosphere would be everything. The number of fans, the intensity on the field, the bands and drill team in the stands, the thickness in the air, etc. A true rivalry atmosphere doesn’t begin the day of the game. It’s looked at and marked the day a schedule comes out. The atmosphere begins to build then. Each week leading up do it the excitement and nerves get larger. Finally, when that game before is over everything immediately changes in those two school districts. I’ve been to several rivalry games and I’m not sure if anything compares to PNG and Nederland. I haven’t been to all of them so I’m not 100% sure. There is just something different about that game. 

I’ve been to many games where everything else you mentioned was on a high level, except attendance. Would that equate to lots of atmosphere? 

and based on what you’re saying, you really should go to a Memorial/BU game. Because this is the perfect example of what I just stated.  Bands, drill teams, cheer leading, post game shinnanigans.

Another topic, I do hold firm on my belief that ‘atmosphere’ does not win or lose ball games...

Let's be honest.... there's Mid County Madness and then everybody else.  

7 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I’ve been to many games where everything else you mentioned was on a high level, except attendance. Would that equate to lots of atmosphere? 

Attendance is a big part of it.  When tickets can't be had and every seat is filled..... You know the crowd is 100% pumped on both sides of the field. 

Relative parity is important, too.  The fact that the series is relatively close and the fact that you can throw the current season records out the window at kickoff because it's anybody's game.