Vidor vs Silsbee

Hagar

1 hour ago, Mytwocents3788 said:

Was waiting on someone to use that word lol. But yes I agree. Discipline is how you stop this offense. If you’re not used to seeing it then it may catch you off guard more than a few times. Especially with the wrinkles that Jeff has added thru the years.

I should say, I don't expect Silsbee to have much trouble containing Vidor. My issues with the secondary are in defending the pass. In this case, Silsbee's secondary get to just be extra linebackers. My prediction is Silsbee wins by two touchdowns. I could be wrong though. I think if Vidor could complete ten passes a game (not a magic number, just an estimate) it would change the entire way teams would have to cover them and their run-heavy game would have just a little more space. 

11 hours ago, Physical Atmosphere said:

Vidors gonna handle los tigres, no problemo! 

The biggest problem Matthews has is getting the Pirates to play with the same intensity they played with in 5A.   The teenage mind may be thinking, “We’re in 4A now.  All we have to do is show up & we’ll win”.   If he can lite a fire in their bellies, I think the Pirates could make a decent run in the playoffs.   Region 3 in 4AD1 is not a powerhouse.   I think the Silsbee game will indicate that, one way or the other.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

The biggest problem Matthews has is getting the Pirates to play with the same intensity they played with in 5A.   The teenage mind may be thinking, “We’re in 4A now.  All we have to do is show up & we’ll win”.   If he can lite a fire in their bellies, I think the Pirates could make a decent run in the playoffs.   Region 3 in 4AD1 is not a powerhouse.   I think the Silsbee game will indicate that, one way or the other.

Yeah I’d be willing to bet that 4A D2 region 3 is a good bit tougher than 4A D1 region 3

9 hours ago, Hagar said:

It certainly helps that Carthage is in D2 now also. 

7 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Does Matthews hold way back during scrimmages like Dubois does?  Dubois wouldn't even let the players wear their normal jersey numbers. 

I imagine some things are held back. I watched last year's scrimmage. Neither first team scored in the two 10 minute "live" quarters. Silsbee 2nd team scored a TD and a FG, Vidor 2nd team scored a TD in the other two 10 minute quarters

Vidor ran their Slot T just like I have always seen them run it.

8 hours ago, HOTROD309 said:

The defensive Line for Silsbee will have their way with Vidor. Best chance is to come out passing for Vidor!!

If Silsbee is crazy enough to pull a Crosby (all 11 within 5 yards of ball), Vidor might do that.   But it’ll surprise everyone if they do.  Vidor passing is scarcer than hens teeth.  Crosby just went all in on stopping the run.   Might be one of the worst examples of coaching ever.  I watched the film on Maxpreps.  They repeatedly filled the box, even after Vidor kept completing passes.

45 minutes ago, Hagar said:

If Silsbee is crazy enough to pull a Crosby (all 11 within 5 yards of ball), Vidor might do that.   But it’ll surprise everyone if they do.  Vidor passing is scarcer than hens teeth.  Crosby just went all in on stopping the run.   Might be one of the worst examples of coaching ever.  I watched the film on Maxpreps.  They repeatedly filled the box, even after Vidor kept completing passes.

If they would throw just enough to keep teams honest it could be a game changer. 

11 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

If they would throw just enough to keep teams honest it could be a game changer. 

I agree.  Pleasant Grove runs a Slot T type, but they sling the ball.   First requirement for a Slot T QB is his ability to run.   Finding one that can do that and pass decent is the real trick.

Just now, CardinalBacker said:

I'm not lying... they wouldn't even let the first team backs on the field during scrimmages.  People were playing all out of position.  I think they looked at the scrimmages as more of a conditioning exercise than anything else. 

Oh I know, just messing with slot T teams. No, most coaches I've met are the same though, won't show as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

I agree.  Pleasant Grove runs a Slot T type, but they sling the ball.   First requirement for a Slot T QB is his ability to run.   Finding one that can do that and pass decent is the real trick.

Vidor CAN do it. The coach just needs to teach it.