2020 SETXsports.com Team Previews - SILSBEE TIGERS

logo.png

2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PREVIEWS

Silsbee.png

SILSBEE TIGERS

2019 Record: 9-5 Overall, 4-1 District

Class 4A, Division II State Semifinalist

The Silsbee Tigers had another historic season, capturing the Class 4A, Region III Championship and marking the first time in school history that the Tigers had captured a Regional championship in back to back years.  With six starters on the offense and eight on defense, the Tigers appear primed to make a run at three in a row.

COACHING

Head Coach: Randy Smith

Assistant Coaches: Trent Jones (Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach), Cory Harrison (Defensive Coordinator), Dustin Westbrook (Passing Game Coordinator), Jarrod Morris (Special Teams Coordinator), Michael Nelson (Quarterbacks), Ronnie Lofton (Linebackers), Avante Smith (Offensive Line), Radi Verrett (Defensive Line), Keaton Baker (Defensive Line), Brett Hillen (Junior High), Michael Andrade (Junior High), James Collins (Junior High), Ira Brooks (Junior High)

OFFENSE

Six starters return to the Tiger Multiple set offense in 2020.  Two year starter Raymond Foster returns to the quarterback position but look for senior Shan Gilder, Jr. to also get snaps behind center.  Senior Antonius Alrine (1st team all-district) will also return along with senior fullback Quincy Kelly Jr.  Sophomore fullback Jayron Williams should also see some time in the Tiger backfield.  Senior wide out Rueben Hatton (2nd team all-district) will pace a receiver group that will also included Gilder, Wiliams and returning tight end Ayden Bell (2nd team all-district) and newcomer Tre' Padilla.  Senior Noah Duke will lead an otherwise inexperienced line which will include senior Zach Tillman, juniors Kadin Stone, Josh Bradley and Leo Rodriguez and sophomore Jayce Jones.

DEFENSE

Eight starters return to the Silsbee 3-4 defense in 2020.  Seniors Ayden Bell (1st team all-district) and Caleb Buse return to guide things on the defensive line.  Kelly and Williams will man the inside linebacker positions while Gilder and senior Malik Jones will control things outside with Stone also seeing action at outside linebackers.  Hatton (1st team all-district), at safety, and Arline, at cornerback, will guide an otherwise young secondary which will see contributions from senior safety Jason Cochran, and sophomores Max Brisbane, Kevin Martin and Geremiah Jackson.

SPECIAL TEAMS

All district kicker/punter Diego Gonzalez returns to do the kicking and the punting.

SCHEDULE

Aug. 28 - Vidor, 7:30 pm

Sept. 4 - at Jasper, 7:30 pm

Sept. 11 - Nederland, 7:30 pm

Sept. 18 - Pleasant Grove (Carthage), 7:30 pm

Sept. 25 - Orangefield, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 2 - at Liberty, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 9 - West Orange-Stark, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 16 - at Bridge City, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 23 - Hamshire-Fannett, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 30 - at Hardin-Jefferson, 7:30 pm*

Nov. 6 - OPEN

STADIUM INFORMATION

Name: Tiger Stadium

Address: 1575 U.S. Hwy 96 N, Silsbee

Capacituy: 9,300

Turf: Grass

Helmet Information courtesy of texasfootball.com:

This is the hidden content, please

Stadium Information courtesy of TexasBob.com Texas Stadium Database:

On 6/9/2020 at 10:59 PM, WOSgrad said:

logo.png

2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PREVIEWS

Silsbee.png

SILSBEE TIGERS

2019 Record: 9-5 Overall, 4-1 District

Class 4A, Division II State Semifinalist

The Silsbee Tigers had another historic season, capturing the Class 4A, Region III Championship and marking the first time in school history that the Tigers had captured a Regional championship in back to back years.  With six starters on the offense and eight on defense, the Tigers appear primed to make a run at three in a row.

COACHING

Head Coach: Randy Smith

Assistant Coaches: Trent Jones (Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach), Cory Harrison (Defensive Coordinator), Dustin Westbrook (Passing Game Coordinator), David Drake (Co-Defensive Coordinator), Jarrod Morris (Special Teams Coordinator), Michael Nelson (Quarterbacks), Ronnie Lofton (Linebackers), Kyle Mackey (Secondary), Radi Verrett (Defensive Line), Keaton Baker (Defensive Line), Brett Hillen (Junior High), Michael Andrade (Junior High), James Collins (Junior High), Ira Brooks (Junior High)

OFFENSE

Six starters return to the Tiger Multiple set offense in 2020.  Two year starter Raymond Foster returns to the quarterback position but look for senior Shan Gilder, Jr. to also get snaps behind center.  Senior Antonius Alrine (1st team all-district) will also return along with senior fullback Quincy Kelly Jr.  Sophomore fullback Jayron Williams should also see some time in the Tiger backfield.  Senior wide out Rueben Hatton (2nd team all-district) will pace a receiver group that will also included Gilder, Wiliams and returning tight end Ayden Bell (2nd team all-district) and newcomer Tre' Padilla.  Senior Noah Duke will lead an otherwise inexperienced line which will include senior Zach Tillman, juniors Kadin Stone, Josh Bradley and Leo Rodriguez and sophomore Jayce Jones.

DEFENSE

Eight starters return to the Silsbee 3-4 defense in 2020.  Seniors Ayden Bell (1st team all-district) and Caleb Buse return to guide things on the defensive line.  Kelly and Williams will man the inside linebacker positions while Gilder and senior Malik Jones will control things outside with Stone also seeing action at outside linebackers.  Hatton (1st team all-district), at safety, and Arline, at cornerback, will guide an otherwise young secondary which will see contributions from senior safety Jason Cochran, and sophomores Max Brisbane, Kevin Martin and Geremiah Jackson.

SPECIAL TEAMS

All district kicker/punter Diego Gonzalez returns to do the kicking and the punting.

SCHEDULE

Aug. 28 - Vidor, 7:30 pm

Sept. 4 - at Jasper, 7:30 pm

Sept. 11 - Nederland, 7:30 pm

Sept. 18 - Pleasant Grove (Carthage), 7:30 pm

Sept. 25 - Orangefield, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 2 - at Liberty, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 9 - West Orange-Stark, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 16 - at Bridge City, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 23 - Hamshire-Fannett, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 30 - at Hardin-Jefferson, 7:30 pm*

Nov. 6 - OPEN

STADIUM INFORMATION

Name: Tiger Stadium

Address: 1575 U.S. Hwy 96 N, Silsbee

Capacituy: 9,300

Turf: Grass

Helmet Information courtesy of texasfootball.com:

Stadium Information courtesy of TexasBob.com Texas Stadium Database:

1 hour ago, Broncos2447 said:

Who's the o-line coach? I only ask because it says they're young and I didn't see one listed. 

That was my mistake.  Coach Smith listed Avante Smith as the o-line coach.  I will correct that.

I just can’t shake the feeling that this Tiger team will take a step back from the last 2 years due to the graduation of Martin and Taylor.  I hope I’m wrong and Arline becomes that impact player that they’ll need.  I think playoffs are a given, and hopefully these group of Tigers will be I’m their groove when the playoffs start.

40 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I just can’t shake the feeling that this Tiger team will take a step back from the last 2 years due to the graduation of Martin and Taylor.  I hope I’m wrong and Arline becomes that impact player that they’ll need.  I think playoffs are a given, and hopefully these group of Tigers will be I’m their groove when the playoffs start.

Somehow, the Coach there has the ability to get them peaking at the end of the season.   No idea how one does that, but that’s what you want.  I expect (hope) for a deep playoff run.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Will some of the locals FINALLY be quiet about Coach Smith this season if there's a season?

That's the biggest question......

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

The Tigers have some decent prospects coming to Varsity. It seems bleak because they have yet to be seen. I wouldn’t count them out. The team has speed if the focus is on their running game. Arline is not alone in the backfield. If they use their talent where they are best fit. They will be alright. I can see them making another run for it. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Will some of the locals FINALLY be quiet about Coach Smith this season if there's a season?

You know I’ll be keeping an eye on those Smith detractors. This is year 5 the hating has been going on.  Let’s see if they come out the woodworks now...

10 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

You know I’ll be keeping an eye on those Smith detractors. This is year 5 the hating has been going on.  Let’s see if they come out the woodworks now...

He's a proven HC in my opinion, my thing is if there's that talk again and they actually get to state or win state he might leave for a bigger gig. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 5:10 PM, KB24 said:

The Tigers have some decent prospects coming to Varsity. It seems bleak because they have yet to be seen. I wouldn’t count them out. The team has speed if the focus is on their running game. Arline is not alone in the backfield. If they use their talent where they are best fit. They will be alright. I can see them making another run for it. 

They also have some real talent in the senior class. Some already have solid offers  to play at the next level. Ayden Bell and Caleb Buse both do and both have speed and big potential. Kelly at LB packs a punch you don’t see coming. Jones and Gilder too. Don't put it all in the hands of the young guns yet. Nothing bleak about them lol. 

On 7/6/2020 at 4:38 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Well, a community to the east that knows Silsbee real well still has a decent sized contingent wanting to replace the head coach even though his resume is 2 state championships, 4 state finals, 6 regional final appearances in the last 6 years.  Quite simply, it is because he does not have a certain trait.

Why this is relevant to Silsbee, I have heard folks on this board make the complaint that Coach Smith lacks that same trait.  So probably not.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:10 PM, KB24 said:

Coach Smith's concern is not with the skill positions on offense. What worries him is the inexperience in the line.  If that comes into form, the Tigers will be more than okay.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Kourt1
    Newest Member
    Kourt1