2020 SETXsports.com Team Previews - FRIENDSWOOD MUSTANGS

logo.png

2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PREVIEWS

Friendswood.png

FRIENDSWOOD MUSTANGS

2019 Record: 9-3 Overall, 5-2 District

Co-Runner Up in District 10-5A-I

Another elite squad joining the SETXsports umbrella will be the Friendswood Mustangs.  In 2019, Robert Koopman's Mustangs went 9-3, a great mark for any team.  However, the folks in south Harris County aren't satisfied with great.  A veteran squad (7 offensive starters and 5 defenders) returns for Mustangs in an effort to sit atop new District 9-5A-I.

COACHING

Head Coach:  Robert Koopman

Assistant Coaches: Bruce Bolden (Defensive Coordinator), Seth Harris (Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line), Scott Smith (Passing Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks), Nathan Roher (Receivers), Brian Bielamowicz (Receivers), Corey Truman (Running Backs), Shane Deel (Secondary), Ted Thomas (Defensive Line), Steve Griffith (Inside Linebackers), Brannon Jackson (Outside Linebackers), Bobby Blankenship (Tight Ends)

OFFENSE

Seven starters return to the Mustang multiple spread offense.  Senior quarterback Luke Grden (2nd team all-district) returns to guide the Friendswood attack.  Senior running back Noel Palitz (2nd team all-district) will join him in the backfield.   Senior tight end Mathew Kovacevich (1st team all-district) will head a Mustang receiver corp which will senior receivers Patrick Elizondo and Cole Kelly, as well as sophomore receiver Reed Mikiska.   Senior tackle Joey Leeper and junior tackle Daniel Goolsby (1st team all-district) will head an offensive line which will also feature junior center David Goolsby.

DEFENSE

Five starters return to the Friendswood 3-4 defense in 2020.  Junior defensive end Matthew Reyes (2nd team all-district) and senior end Eliot Spiller return to lead the defensive line.  Senior inside linebacker Jackson Stephens and senior outside linebacker Nick Abowd will be joined by junior inside linebacker Britton Merrit.  Senior cornerback Bryant Wade and sophomore Aiden Stokes will roam the Friendswood secondary.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Senior Nick Sweeney will do the place kicking for Friendswood while Grden will do the punting.  Returner positions will be finalized at summer practice.

SCHEDULE

Aug. 27 - at Humble Summer Creek, 7:00 pm

Sept. 4 - Clear Brook, 7:00 pm

Sept. 10 - at Pasadena Dobie, 7:00 pm

Sept. 18 - OPEN

Sept. 25 - Baytown Lee, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 3 - at Baytown Sterling, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 9 - Beaumont United, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 16 - La Porte, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 23 - at Goose Creek Memorial, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 30 - Galveston Ball, 7:00 pm*

Nov. 6 - at Port Arthur Memorial, 7:00 pm*

STADIUM INFORMATION

Name: Henry Winston Stadium

Address: 702 Greenbriar, Friendswood, TX

Capacity: 8,000

Surface: Artificial

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

So this is the team they expect to run through the district... Been hearing a lot about this Grden kid.  Can’t wait to see it in person.

Don't worry, October 9th you'll have a great seat to watch him torch them timberpups. Just a little advice (since you send emails to the staff) they better know when to blitz that kid. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Don't worry, October 9th you'll have a great seat to watch him torch them timberpups. Just a little advice (since you send emails to the staff) they better know when to blitz that kid. 

I don’t think I’ll have to send any emails this year.  And BTW, it seems like THeblasr time I seen FW with my own eyes, they had a really good QB.  Seems that they groom their QB’s pretty well.  I don’t expect this kid to be an exception...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Kourt1
    Newest Member
    Kourt1