SETX Sleeping Giants?

Who are some schools/teams who you think are close to really winning big with a tweak? 

I’m thinking maybe someone who always has talent but maybe the scheme on one side or the other doesn’t fit it. Or maybe just a program that needs that 1 big win to get them over the hump and start rolling. Not trying to bash any coaches or any teams just thought this might be an interesting topic to discuss. 

1 hour ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Silsbee

Nah.... I think their window slammed shut in early February when Carthage got bumped down.   I expect WOS or Silsbee (whichever is still standing at that point) to go down on Carthage in the regionals (4th round).  Either Silsbee or WOS will be done no later than the 3rd round, and neither will be standing after the fourth.   That's not saying they're bad teams or regressing... they're just gonna walk into a saw.  That's my prediction for 4AD2 Region 3 in 2020.

5 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Since Vidor has moved to 4A, I think they’ll make a move.  Of course that’s depending on them to continue to play at the 5A level.

Vidor should make decent run, IMO.... I'm not familiar with their personnel at all, but I think of the success that we had in 4AD1 with decent personnel and good coaching in 2016.  They're gonna be one of the largest schools in the classification and anything less than District Champs playing on Thanksgiving Weekend would be a bitter disappointment for me if I were a Pirate fan.  Which I'm not.

7 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

In all seriousness, how will BC fare in their new district?

We’re gonna be District Champs!

Because that’s what you’re supposed to say. 

Disclaimer... I’m completely out of touch with the Bc team at this point. But... normally you’d expect a team dropping down to be in the hunt for a DC. But normally you don’t drop down into a district that is populated by WOS and Silsbee. I’d be disappointed by anything less than third in District behind those two. I’d also expect HJ to bring it, though... we haven’t played them since Dubois left them for BC. OF is gonna be a slobberknocker, too. 

Realistically 3rd, but we could absolutely miss the playoffs if our kids don’t perform. But like I said... I’m out of touch with our team. 

6 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

We’re gonna be District Champs!

Because that’s what you’re supposed to say. 

Disclaimer... I’m completely out of touch with the Bc team at this point. But... normally you’d expect a team dropping down to be in the hunt for a DC. But normally you don’t drop down into a district that is populated by WOS and Silsbee. I’d be disappointed by anything less than third in District behind those two. I’d also expect HJ to bring it, though... we haven’t played them since Dubois left them for BC. OF is gonna be a slobberknocker, too. 

Realistically 3rd, but we could absolutely miss the playoffs if our kids don’t perform. But like I said... I’m out of touch with our team. 

Fair enough. 

Guest Aledoalumni

I'll only talk about 5AD2 since thats what I follow closely but overall the defensive play needs to improve for schools to win a title. Fort Bend Marshall can score, Port Neches Groves can score, Manvel can score, Crosby can score, Barbers Hill can score, Huntsville can score but in big games the defense for those teams needs to show up more. Not sure if that means to put more athletes from the offense to the defense or play a different scheme or what but until some adjustments are made the 5AD2 teams will have a tough go at it. 

1 hour ago, Physical Atmosphere said:

Silsbee just needs to get over that hump. I think Jasper is one of those teams that could do better "with a tweak". 

I agree completely... I think Silsbee is a consistent 4/5 round team that could possibly see Arlington if the cards fell the right way. Except for Carthage. I can’t stress how much it means for a the most dominant force at D1 to drop into D2 Region 3. I also have a feeling that Silsbee will have a hard time facing WOS and Jasper each possibly twice by the third round. Those games will be brutal and should have a few kids on street clothes for a few weeks after. 

This is the point that I’m always trying to make about Newton and their success... they schedule tough comp in non-district and then have non-contact scrimmages up into about the 4th round. 

The team coming out of 4AD1 Region 3 will be limping into the 5th round. 

On 5/12/2020 at 3:33 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Nah.... I think their window slammed shut in early February when Carthage got bumped down.   I expect WOS or Silsbee (whichever is still standing at that point) to go down on Carthage in the regionals (4th round).  Either Silsbee or WOS will be done no later than the 3rd round, and neither will be standing after the fourth.   That's not saying they're bad teams or regressing... they're just gonna walk into a saw.  That's my prediction for 4AD2 Region 3 in 2020.

Vidor should make decent run, IMO.... I'm not familiar with their personnel at all, but I think of the success that we had in 4AD1 with decent personnel and good coaching in 2016.  They're gonna be one of the largest schools in the classification and anything less than District Champs playing on Thanksgiving Weekend would be a bitter disappointment for me if I were a Pirate fan.  Which I'm not.

Got to agree on the Carthage front I don't see either WO-S or Silsbee beating them but if they could get over that juggernaut I could see them in the finals

21 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I agree completely... I think Silsbee is a consistent 4/5 round team that could possibly see Arlington if the cards fell the right way. Except for Carthage. I can’t stress how much it means for a the most dominant force at D1 to drop into D2 Region 3. I also have a feeling that Silsbee will have a hard time facing WOS and Jasper each possibly twice by the third round. Those games will be brutal and should have a few kids on street clothes for a few weeks after. 

This is the point that I’m always trying to make about Newton and their success... they schedule tough comp in non-district and then have non-contact scrimmages up into about the 4th round. 

Agreed. Unless something crazy happens I see Carthage in the big game again. 

On 5/15/2020 at 9:46 PM, Hooohead.com said:

I think Beaumont United has tweaked a few things in staff changes so hopefully we can see if they make it over the bump or hump...

I forgot about them... I was a little underwhelmed by the new football coach's record.  I've got my fingers crossed that I was incorrect.  United has the horses in the stable, no doubt. 

If Vidor comes up with a defense that can defend the pass consistently, they have a chance to go deep in 4a this year. I think it is extremely difficult for Vidor to prep a pass defense because they can't simulate a strong pass offense in practice. So it's an uphill battle. The players can do it if someone will teach them. 

14 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I forgot about them... I was a little underwhelmed by the new football coach's record.  I've got my fingers crossed that I was incorrect.  United has the horses in the stable, no doubt. 

His record doesnt speak highly due to the talent wasnt there...offensive coordinator at Duncanville his last 2 years and they did make it to State in back to back seasons....better than that I was told by a family friend in Dallas who knows him said he went above and beyond helping kids along the way to get kids in College from his school as well as teams they played due to alot of them working out in the same circle...that in it self is a good thing.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:55 AM, CardinalBacker said:

I just noticed that you're pretty bullish on Jasper this year. Are you feeling okay? :)

We're going to be very young this year, but the schedule is tough and the subvarsity teams have been really good. The Dawgs will be better prepared for the playoffs than in years past, even if the record doesn't indicate it...but getting to the third round would be a good start for this group. I would expect more in 2021 and 2022. 

6 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

If Vidor comes up with a defense that can defend the pass consistently, they have a chance to go deep in 4a this year. I think it is extremely difficult for Vidor to prep a pass defense because they can't simulate a strong pass offense in practice. So it's an uphill battle. The players can do it if someone will teach them. 

That’s what I said when we were purely slot-T.  The only time our secondary saw defended passes was on Friday Nights. I’m not sure how you fix that. 

3 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I just noticed that you're pretty bullish on Jasper this year. Are you feeling okay? :)

We're going to be very young this year, but the schedule is tough and the subvarsity teams have been really good. The Dawgs will be better prepared for the playoffs than in years past, even if the record doesn't indicate it...but getting to the third round would be a good start for this group. I would expect more in 2021 and 2022. 

Jasper is always a tough out, lol. 

6 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Jasper is always a tough out, lol. 

Except in the second round of the playoffs last year.... too soon? I’m jk I apologize. No sports for a while now has me really bored and saying things that are uncalled for. Nothing but respect for Jasper .