Alltime SETX Football Team Offense and Defense

On 5/17/2020 at 1:23 AM, JasperDAWG said:

Aaaaahhhh the acute nostalgia for mid to late 80's Jasper Bulldog football (Eugene was a little earlier). I was a freshman in '87  and we had the glorious honor (was actually brutal for us freshman DAWGS) of being live football dummies for the varsity about once a week.  Ole Ray Adams had a secondary partner who was not to shabby himself by the name of (I going to refer to him by his present day name) DR. Michael Mcfarland.  Then the beast looming in the middle of the field was a fella named Curtis Hafford.  Those two went on to play for the Baylor Bears with both contributing a lot to their program.

Both were all state players. 86-87.were jasper best 2 teams ever. The only team that could have stopped them those 2 years.was w.o. they were that gud!! 

17 hours ago, dj said:

Both were all state players. 86-87.were jasper best 2 teams ever. The only team that could have stopped them those 2 years.was w.o. they were that gud!! 

Several years were pretty good for Jasper.  But I feel 1980 was near to being as good as the 86-87 teams.  Witness their little LB (5-9) playing 5 years in the NFL.  Public announcers would go tounge tied saying "And Eugene Seale on the tackle."  Tied Huntsville in Pre-district, and tied Hebert in district.  Huntsville beat Hebert in playoffs, and went on to win state.  I think Jasper clearly showed the Jasper undefeated 1980 team belonged on the same field as the eventual state champion.

On 5/21/2020 at 12:49 PM, SmashMouth said:

If I remember right they bounced back from a mediocre 85 team

Mediocre for Jasper at the time. 4 and 5.  But to put it into perspective, as I remember, Jasper played a tough schedule in 1985 and most of the losses were by pretty narrow margins.  So to rebound was not that big of a step I presume.  I think that was Walkoviak's only "losing" season in his 20 years there.  Before he came, and often after he left 4 and 5 looked pretty good.  He made having a 5a level program at a small 4a program look so easy that some Jasper people didn't realize just what they had with him.  5a program.  That was Hebert's Coach Alex Durley's description as I remember.  And that was when 5a was the top level in Texas.

3 minutes ago, j_dog said:

Mediocre for Jasper at the time. 4 and 5.  But to put it into perspective, as I remember, Jasper played a tough schedule in 1985 and most of the losses were by pretty narrow margins.  So to rebound was not that big of a step I presume.  I think that was Walkoviak's only "losing" season in his 20 years there.  Before he came, and often after he left 4 and 5 looked pretty good.  He made having a 5a level program at a small 4a program look so easy that some Jasper people didn't realize just what they had with him.  5a program.  That was Hebert's Coach Alex Durley's description as I remember.  And that was when 5a was the top level in Texas.

Can’t disagree there. I just remember Lumberton beat them in a really close game that year. For Jasper back then, that’s like modern day Bridge City beating WO-S. 

The following were included in an article on Beaumont being the Pro Football Capital of the World.  I would think they were pretty good in High School.

Bubba Smith

Jerry LeVias

Warren Wells

Mel Farr

Miller Farr

Johnny Fuller

Gus Holloman

Anthony Guillory

Tody Smith

Jesse Phillips

Wayne Moore

Dwight Harrison

Charles Ford

Bob Pollard

Billy Wright

Austin Goose Gouslin. Port Arthur Texas. On the Denver Broncos Ring of Fame. Only 23 players all time in the Broncos ring of fame. When he retired he was the leader in the AFL in INts with 40. He had 7 in his first three games and 11 in 1960. He also had 4 ints in a game still today tied for a broncos team record. This man was a true NFL hero. 

On 5/4/2020 at 9:33 AM, CardinalBacker said:

Who was it that said that?  It wasn't Santa.... Might have been Tiger85 or somebody... I honestly can't remember.

If you are referring to a statement by me I don't think I said "the best ever". If I had said anything it would have been one of the best. It has been several years ago.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 10:58 AM, gogo1734 said:

T.J. Light - DT Lumberton

I think he played in the early 90's. 92-95 range.

I haven't watched enough HS football to say where he should rank on this list, but I had the "pleasure" of attempting to block him in a scrimmage his senior / my junior year. He was a grown ass man and it was not a pleasant experience....lol

On 6/7/2020 at 12:35 AM, bferg77 said:

I haven't watched enough HS football to say where he should rank on this list, but I had the "pleasure" of attempting to block him in a scrimmage his senior / my junior year. He was a grown ass man and it was not a pleasant experience....lol

He's right up there with a lot of these guys. Some on here will discount him because he played at Lumberton. He was a man amongst boys. He was also a Willie Ray Smith Award winner I believe.