Alltime SETX Football Team Offense and Defense

8 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

That being said, Colton was a great athlete. Basketball and football. 

And as I recall, a pretty good baseball player, too.

It is a shame that some idiot who, instead of taking Santa's lead and naming a Bridge City back (Steve Worster) who is still notable in Southeast Texas lore, chose to use a young man (who from all accounts an excellent person as well as a good athlete) as punchline to his really lame joke.

10 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

And as I recall, a pretty good baseball player, too.

It is a shame that some idiot who, instead of taking Santa's lead and naming a Bridge City back (Steve Worster) who is still notable in Southeast Texas lore, chose to use a young man (who from all accounts an excellent person as well as a good athlete) as punchline to his really lame joke.

I'm not making fun of Mackey.... I'm just reminding the Silsbee Fan(s) that proudly proclaimed him as the "the best wide receiver to ever come out of Southeast Texas" after his junior year. 

And no, it never gets old. 

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I'm not making fun of Mackey.... I'm just reminding the Silsbee Fan(s) that proudly proclaimed him as the "the best wide receiver to ever come out of Southeast Texas" after his junior year. 

And no, it never gets old. 

I’m not from Silsbee, but I know and coached  the kid. Had it not been for injury, he could’ve done something on the next level. Not saying he was the best ever WR in SETX, but I’d start him 10 times outa 10. 

On 5/5/2020 at 4:50 PM, Physical Atmosphere said:

Yes he was but in the context of this thread he is better suited at LB.

I don’t know about that, He won the Willie Ray Smith Award for offense and defense in the same year. Only player to ever do that in the history of the award. Just Saying. There’s definitely a lot good players mentioned on this thread without a doubt. 

On 5/8/2020 at 1:26 PM, Bulldogs92 said:

I'll chime in with a couple of Jasper guys because I don't mind being a homer and they deserve to be in the conversation:

LB Eugene Seale

CB Raefel Adams

I would certainly agree on Eugene Seale; replacement player for the Houston Oilers, and stayed five years as a LB in the NFL.  Ditto for several Jasper players that didn't perhaps get that much recognition in high school; but stayed several years in the NFL.  Zack Bronson, James Hadnot, Red Bryant, John Davis, Weatherspoon, and I know I am forgetting at least that many more.  West Orange probably has even more.  Most famous to me being Earl Thomas, and Kevin Smith.

15 hours ago, j_dog said:

I would certainly agree on Eugene Seale; replacement player for the Houston Oilers, and stayed five years as a LB in the NFL.  Ditto for several Jasper players that didn't perhaps get that much recognition in high school; but stayed several years in the NFL.  Zack Bronson, James Hadnot, Red Bryant, John Davis, Weatherspoon, and I know I am forgetting at least that many more.  West Orange probably has even more.  Most famous to me being Earl Thomas, and Kevin Smith.

I chose those guys purely based on how good they were as Bulldogs. They were part of arguably the best stretch ever for us in the early-mid 80's when we could consistently play with just about everybody. We've been blessed to have quite a few talented guys come through, haven't we?

I hope you're well, my friend. :)

On 5/8/2020 at 1:26 PM, Bulldogs92 said:

I'll chime in with a couple of Jasper guys because I don't mind being a homer and they deserve to be in the conversation:

LB Eugene Seale

CB Raefel Adams

Some probably wouldn't know who Rafael Adam's was .but I promise he was the real deal !! Probably one of the best to come out of jasper. Doing w.o championships years I guarantee you everyone knew who he was. And he was a parade all-American. 

On 5/12/2020 at 1:49 PM, Bulldogs92 said:

I chose those guys purely based on how good they were as Bulldogs. They were part of arguably the best stretch ever for us in the early-mid 80's when we could consistently play with just about everybody. We've been blessed to have quite a few talented guys come through, haven't we?

I hope you're well, my friend. :)

I know I'm getting off topic, but many of those players didn't get that much recognition in high school because they arguably were not playing their natural positions.  Take James Hadnot.  Didn't even make All-State at Jasper as LB & TE.  Went to Texas Tech, moved to running back, broke many Early Campbell rushing records, and made All America.  Twice I think.  David Scott, from that same team.  Out of natural position as a RB, went to Kilgore Jr College, they moved him to WR, another All American.  By the way, I expect David is still in the State record books for the longest punt return in State history.  108 yards I think it was.  I was privileged to see that, against Silsbee, 1976 I think it was.  That record may well never be broken.  Yes, I am well.  And you?

19 hours ago, dj said:

Some probably wouldn't know who Rafael Adam's was .but I promise he was the real deal !! Probably one of the best to come out of jasper. Doing w.o championships years I guarantee you everyone knew who he was. And he was a parade all-American. 

I think Rafael Adams went on to play college ball at LSU?

52 minutes ago, j_dog said:

I know I'm getting off topic, but many of those players didn't get that much recognition in high school because they arguably were not playing their natural positions.  Take James Hadnot.  Didn't even make All-State at Jasper as LB & TE.  Went to Texas Tech, moved to running back, broke many Early Campbell rushing records, and made All America.  Twice I think.  David Scott, from that same team.  Out of natural position as a RB, went to Kilgore Jr College, they moved him to WR, another All American.  By the way, I expect David is still in the State record books for the longest punt return in State history.  108 yards I think it was.  I was privileged to see that, against Silsbee, 1976 I think it was.  That record may well never be broken.  Yes, I am well.  And you?

I'm good. Yes, Raefel did go to LSU. That '86 team was REALLY good. WOS beat us in the quarterfinals that year and won state in their go-round in 4A, but Jasper had beaten them in Orange earlier in the season. Both of those teams were championship caliber and it was a shame that one had to bow out.