Best Gym in TX competition

I think the two best gyms in our area are Livingston High School and East Chambers High School. Kountze, Evadale and Kirbyville have pretty good small school gyms. 

The Evadale gym was really nice when it was built (and still is) but it only holds about 800-900 (plenty big enough for their needs) and has a small court (maybe 82'). Kountze is kind of plain but it has two courts, plus a food court where you can see the action and it holds 1500 to 1600 or so people. 

Kirbyville is a little nicer facility but holds a few less people than Kountze. 

East Chambers in Winnie has a real nice place. It holds a decent size crowd, A lot of playoff games are played there. 

To me Livingston is easily the best place. I don't know how many it holds buts it appears to hold a good sized crowd. 

All five of these gyms separate the crowd from the playing floor. 

I argued unsuccessfully to have Silsbee build  a 1600 seat gym that separated the crowd from the court when they built it. I think the gym ended up being about 1300 but the planners were talking about a 1000 seat gym. 

On the other side of the coin the gym at Hardin Jefferson gym is way to small for a school that has the history, success and fan support that HJ has. If you did not know different you would think that HJ was a football school that wanted to keep basketball down. 

For the state either the Barry Center in Cy-Fair or Glen Rose will win. You can google a picture of either and you will not believe they are high school gyms especially with Glen Rose only being 3A. 

My personal favorites are Cherokee and the old May gym. Cherokee is so small that you are standing in bounds to throw the ball in. Covered walls on all 4 sides with the sidelines being 8-10 feet up before the seats. Under the old rebounding system players would place one leg on the wall to box out. 

The old May gym will always be the best. Set 4 feet below bleachers with brick walls right on the sidelines (seen a few heads smashed into them). The benches were cut into the walls. The visitors locker rooms were under the home bleachers. The school colors are white and dark green so the gym was very dark and the home fans are something else. Compared to gyms nowadays it would look awful but it easily had a great home court advantage and I don’t think you can beat nostalgia. 

On 4/29/2020 at 9:45 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

I’m submitting BU Gym now via the FB page...

I agree except for the coloring of the seats and lighting isn't that bright. West Brook redoing of the floor made it a comfortable place to play to the least it is almost 40 years old....

Edited by Hooohead.com
Misspelling

2 minutes ago, Hooohead.com said:

I agree except for the coloring of the seats and lighting isn't that bright. West Brook redoing of the floor made it a comfortable place to play to the least it is almost 40 years old....

Supposedly, brand new lighting going in this summer.  As far as the bleachers, IMO, they can use the old maroon bleachers from Central’s gym to replace the blue ones at BU...

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2020 at 5:02 PM, scoopno1 said:

On the other side of the coin the gym at Hardin Jefferson gym is way to small for a school that has the history, success and fan support that HJ has. If you did not know different you would think that HJ was a football school that wanted to keep basketball down. 

i guess you have never ben to PA Lincoln's gym. it was called the HIVE for a reason.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

Schools have the option to have '94, '92 and '89 foot courts.

Wow I never knew that but did notice that some appeared to be shorter than others....I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Would be interesting to see a list of which ones are which....I assume come playoff time all courts used are 94'?  For a team with speed the shorter court limits that advantage which to me is like making a football field 80 yards. 

On 9/4/2020 at 1:32 AM, joebob said:

Wow I never knew that but did notice that some appeared to be shorter than others....I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Would be interesting to see a list of which ones are which....I assume come playoff time all courts used are 94'?  For a team with speed the shorter court limits that advantage which to me is like making a football field 80 yards. 

Easiest way for me to tell difference was during shoot a round when I’d shoot a few from the circle. 

As for playoffs I don’t think it figures that much into coaches discussion. May for some but it isn’t a big issue. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2020 at 8:49 AM, RaiderRed30 said:

For the state either the Barry Center in Cy-Fair or Glen Rose will win. You can google a picture of either and you will not believe they are high school gyms especially with Glen Rose only being 3A. 

My personal favorites are Cherokee and the old May gym. Cherokee is so small that you are standing in bounds to throw the ball in. Covered walls on all 4 sides with the sidelines being 8-10 feet up before the seats. Under the old rebounding system players would place one leg on the wall to box out. 

The old May gym will always be the best. Set 4 feet below bleachers with brick walls right on the sidelines (seen a few heads smashed into them). The benches were cut into the walls. The visitors locker rooms were under the home bleachers. The school colors are white and dark green so the gym was very dark and the home fans are something else. Compared to gyms nowadays it would look awful but it easily had a great home court advantage and I don’t think you can beat nostalgia. 

For the State I like Allen's gym and Duncanville has a nice setup with 1 main court and 4 sub courts