Running up the score.

37 minutes ago, LC-M said:

I think going up tempo is great but I think in the 4th quarter 90 points up why not run the clock some and get to the house early. I agree his starters should play at least  3 quarters of football. But he could schedule better teams in pre district for more of challenge.

This^

1 hour ago, LC-M said:

I think going up tempo is great but I think in the 4th quarter 90 points up why not run the clock some and get to the house early. I agree his starters should play at least  3 quarters of football. But he could schedule better teams in pre district for more of challenge.

Do you know that he doesn't?  Remember, the final schedule for teams like Refugio are more of a reflection of who is willing to play you than who you are willing to play. Ask Coach Johnston in Newton, Coach Thompson at WO-S.  I have even heard that Silsbee has at times had difficulty putting up a 10 game schedule.

29 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Do you know that he doesn't?  Remember, the final schedule for teams like Refugio are more of a reflection of who is willing to play you than who you are willing to play. Ask Coach Johnston in Newton, Coach Thompson at WO-S.  I have even heard that Silsbee has at times had difficulty putting up a 10 game schedule.

I certainly don’t know if he tries to schedule up. I travel through there some and they have a nice stadium for a small school. I see they played Mart last year beating them 48-40 which was only competitive game during the first 10 games. Maybe he will want to play the mustangs one day. 

I can understand why he does this even though I wouldn't like it if I was on the other side. He's right, if he holds his team back after they build a big lead they will never gain the stamina to play a whole game. This gives them the chance to win the ultimate goal, a state championship which every football player in high school wants to accomplish that feat.

8 hours ago, LC-M said:

Alot of teams that are In bigger classifications wont play smaller classification teams due to the fact of possibly losing and job getting talked about losing. Just because your a 6A school doesn't always mean your better than a 4A or 3A school....that's why.....JMO

Guest ECBucFan
8 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

. Ask Coach Johnston in Newton, Coach Thompson at WO-S.  I have even heard that Silsbee has at times had difficulty putting up a 10 game schedule.

NEWTON EAGLES (0-0)

Aug. 28 - at Woodville, 7:30 pm

Sept. 4 - Diboll, 7:30 pm

Sept. 11 - Kirbyville, 7:30 pm

Sept. 18 - at West Orange-Stark, 7:30 pm

WEST ORANGE-STARK MUSTANGS (0-0)

Aug. 28 - at Nederland, 7:30 pm

Sept. 4 - at Little Cypress-Mauriceville, 7:30 pm

Sept. 11 - at Jasper, 7:30 pm

Sept. 18 - Newton, 7:30 pm

SILSBEE TIGERS (0-0)

Aug. 28 - Vidor, 7:30 pm

Sept. 4 - at Jasper, 7:30 pm

Sept. 11 - Nederland, 7:30 pm

Sept. 18 - Texarkana Pleasant Grove (Carthage), 7:30 pm

Props to all the opponents that did step up. Whatever the eventual results are, these opponents will be better and stronger for doing so.   

Why don’t the other teams get better? Has anyone asked that question? Are the opposing coaches more worried about their kids getting embarrassed or is it really that they are embarrassed of the programs they’ve developed. Running clock, Starters out after 3rd quarter, what else do they want? It’s ok to win. It’s ok to lose. It’s ok to do both by a lot. There is a lesson to be learned when doing both. My only concern is player safety. I hate to see unnecessary severe injuries. 

He did say that the score is usually 50 - 0 at halftime. By the start of the 4th, all starters are removed. You cannot expect the 2nd & 3rd string players to lay down. They trying to prove themselves. If you listen to his reasoning behind playing 3 quarters instead of 2 - stamina in the playoffs - you can understand the why.