Stimulus Check

baddog

10 minutes ago, baddog said:

Got mine this morning. I am bound and determined to keep the employees of Discount Tires paychecks coming. Just doing my part.

Sweet.  I’ll be doing my part at Market Basket & Walmart.  😄

1 hour ago, baddog said:

Went to Lowe’s to get some replacement windows for my shop and there were a lot of people there. Me thinks a lot of men are getting around to those “honey do’s”. Gotta do something to get a break.....nyuk, nyuk.

Yep tell me about it.  I ve added on to our porch. Expanding the laundry room and pantry area.  Which I was doing that before this stimulus check. With the stimulus I’m paying off my truck.

my honey do list has grown since I’m off.

19 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Transferring my stimulus check from my bank to my online poker account.

Where do you play?  Is it legal now, or are you doing home games with friends?  I get the occasional invite to a private online game, but would love to get on a site.

2 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

What is also ridiculous is we are giving stimulus checks to folks that are still working.

I can see your point, but I don’t have a problem with it. Should those that are still working be punished for doing so? Also, stimulus checks are intended to stimulate the economy by providing consumers with some spending money. When taxpayers spend this money, it will boost consumption and drive revenues at retailers and manufacturers and, thus, spur the economy. It’s more to get cash flow going than it is a welfare payment. The idea is that higher earners already make enough to continue spending. I don’t agree with that assumption necessarily, but that’s the idea. 

7 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I can see your point, but I don’t have a problem with it. Should those that are still working be punished for doing so? Also, stimulus checks are intended to stimulate the economy by providing consumers with some spending money. When taxpayers spend this money, it will boost consumption and drive revenues at retailers and manufacturers and, thus, spur the economy. It’s more to get cash flow going than it is a welfare payment. The idea is that higher earners already make enough to continue spending. I don’t agree with that assumption necessarily, but that’s the idea. 

It's simply putting us further into debt and once again, reinforcing that the fed gov is the answer to all problems.  We already have a plan in place for situations like this, unemployment, and rightfully so, those that don't lose their job get no money.  I know folks like getting their check but it's a bad idea that will come with a cost, maybe not now, but at some point.

2 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

It's simply putting us further into debt and once again, reinforcing that the fed gov is the answer to all problems.  We already have a plan in place for situations like this, unemployment, and rightfully so, those that don't lose their job get no money.  I know folks like getting their check but it's a bad idea that will come with a cost, maybe not now, but at some point.

Look, the checks are stupid.  Not going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.  But -- think of it in these terms:  You are getting YOUR money back from the government!  Anytime this happens, I'm OK with it.  If the government was really serious, they would total up the whole amount of stimulus checks and cut spending that amount.  This would make it a "zero sum" game.  But...

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Look, the checks are stupid.  Not going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.  But -- think of it in these terms:  You are getting YOUR money back from the government!  Anytime this happens, I'm OK with it.  If the government was really serious, they would total up the whole amount of stimulus checks and cut spending that amount.  This would make it a "zero sum" game.  But...

Cut spending...zero sum???

Surely, you jest. 

The way they are handling this is very irresponsible and reckless...just like most everything the fed gov “handles”.

3 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I hate to have to agree with your statement. You are probably right, but I needed tires. I had to pay in $1300 for income tax and got $1200 back. I’m still $100 the hole. lol