Greatest NBA Duo

Conversation started on who was the greatest NBA duo , just for a fun topic of discussion. I know it could be very vague so give your reason why . J .Dumars/I .Thomas,  S.Oneil/K.Bryant,   L.Bird /K.Mchale,   L.James/D.Wade , M.Jordan/S.Pippen ,K.Malone/J.Stockton  ,M.Johnson /K.A.Jabbar.                                                                                                                        I will start it my opinion only, Magic and Kareem because they transcended the game a 6'9" point guard and a center with an unblockable sky hook. (Classic).

I liked Bird/McHale. Two of the best half court artist you could want. Not sure what you call that jump shot of Bird’s where he would take it in the low post, back the defender down, then plant and lunge away from the basket. That was pretty unstoppable. He was also one of the greatest passers and 3 point shooters ever. He had an uncanny knack for shooting the ball off-balance, even to the point of one thinking him lucky, but after so many times repeating these types of shots, you had to just realize he was that good. After scoring, Bird would run up court and trash talk the opposing coach, telling him he can’t cover that. Gotta love the swagger.

McHale would receive the ball in the low post, take on a double, sometimes triple team, pick up his dribble, pivot left, right, left, and lay it off the glass with those long arms of his. Great rebounder and put back shooter. Fantastic shot blocker too. Unbelievable offense they ran. Lakers matched up well with the Celtics to produce the best basketball games I have ever witnessed.

I don’t see offenses run like that these days. Maybe it’s just me.

Bird and Johnson saved the NBA.

1 hour ago, baddog said:

I liked Bird/McHale. Two of the best half court artist you could want. Not sure what you call that jump shot of Bird’s where he would take it in the low post, back the defender down, then plant and lunge away from the basket. That was pretty unstoppable. He was also one of the greatest passers and 3 point shooters ever. He had an uncanny knack for shooting the ball off-balance, even to the point of one thinking him lucky, but after so many times repeating these types of shots, you had to just realize he was that good. After scoring, Bird would run up court and trash talk the opposing coach, telling him he can’t cover that. Gotta love the swagger.

McHale would receive the ball in the low post, take on a double, sometimes triple team, pick up his dribble, pivot left, right, left, and lay it off the glass with those long arms of his. Great rebounder and put back shooter. Fantastic shot blocker too. Unbelievable offense they ran. Lakers matched up well with the Celtics to produce the best basketball games I have ever witnessed.

I don’t see offenses run like that these days. Maybe it’s just me.

Bird and Johnson saved the NBA.

Good points, they were definitely a dynamic duo as well. I agree not the same type of players now, more 1 on 1 very little team ball .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/3/2020 at 8:11 AM, rc2182 said:

Conversation started on who was the greatest NBA duo , just for a fun topic of discussion. I know it could be very vague so give your reason why . J .Dumars/I .Thomas,  S.Oneil/K.Bryant,   L.Bird /K.Mchale,   L.James/D.Wade , M.Jordan/S.Pippen ,K.Malone/J.Stockton  ,M.Johnson /K.A.Jabbar.                                                                                                                        I will start it my opinion only, Magic and Kareem because they transcended the game a 6'9" point guard and a center with an unblockable sky hook. (Classic).

Those are all great choices and can’t go wrong with any of them.... these two were far from the greatest but I loved watching them play and that’s Yao/McGrady. 

57 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Those are all great choices and can’t go wrong with any of them.... these two were far from the greatest but I loved watching them play and that’s Yao/McGrady. 

I agree, even thought about Olajuwon/Drexler .