Better Football Power Newton or WOS?

BADSANTA

21 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

No more so than you should change yours to Sigfreid & Roy.

Maybe you could be Roy and Santa could be Siegfried ... or vice versa.

I'll be honest.... I'm stockpiling tons of new Tiger material for football season.  I doubt anybody will be more disappointed than I if they end up canceling it. 

7 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Maybe you could be Roy and Santa could be Siegfried ... or vice versa.

I'll be honest.... I'm stockpiling tons of new Tiger material for football season.  I doubt anybody will be more disappointed than I if they end up canceling it. 

Figured you were used to disappointment.

37 minutes ago, JasperDAWG said:

Back to the thread topic.  Have not been able to get an answer to my earlier question (ole Girl  needed some of my attention for a bit).  

When you have been ranked #1 in the USA in your class of football going wire to wire like Newton did a couple seasons ago it pulls ALOT of weight in discussions like these.

Yeah... Kinda like Jasper being ranked #2 last year, huh?

BURN!!!!!

2 hours ago, JasperDAWG said:

Back to the thread topic.  Have not been able to get an answer to my earlier question (ole Girl  needed some of my attention for a bit).  

When you have been ranked #1 in the USA in your class of football going wire to wire like Newton did a couple seasons ago it pulls ALOT of weight in discussions like these.

I could be wrong but I think the 87 Stangs did that. WOS Grad probably could  confirm that 

1 hour ago, BobcatDad said:

I could be wrong but I think the 87 Stangs did that. WOS Grad probably could  confirm that 

There wasn't the divisions that were noted then.  They did finish #9 in the nation in the USA Today Top 25 in 1987 and the ESPN Scholastic Sports America (all schools).  Knocked off Aldine MacArthur, the #5 team in that poll and the #1 team in 5A (which was the largest classification in Texas) when they played.

14 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

There wasn't the divisions that were noted then.  They did finish #9 in the nation in the USA Today Top 25 in 1987 and the ESPN Scholastic Sports America (all schools).  Knocked off Aldine MacArthur, the #5 team in that poll and the #1 team in 5A (which was the largest classification in Texas) when they played.

Man, I remember those 1st 2 games against the aldine teams. I was only 6, but those guys were huge. I thought we were playing the Oilers. Good times, great memories.

On 3/31/2020 at 5:01 PM, WOSgrad said:

I thought it was Aldine High. 

On 3/22/2020 at 4:31 PM, WOSgrad said:

No.  Absent the special teams that the Eagles had over the last few years, the Mustangs should take the Eagles, just as I would expect Memorial or West Brook to take the Mustangs, yet that doesn't make them more of a football powerhouse than West Orange-Stark.

Also, the Eagles have been on their current run for about 12-15 years longer than the Mustangs have.  The current run for the Eagles began about 1970 while the Mustangs didn't start their playoff roll until 1985.

The Eagles haven't missed the playoffs in 32 years (1988).  The Mustangs have missed the playoffs 5 times (1992-although that was due to forfeit, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003) in that same period.

The Mustangs are a HUGE football powerhouse and just about any other team in this area wouldn't stack up.  But the Eagles aren't any other team.

Do you remember what happened to jump start the Mustangs playoff roll in the 80's?

On 4/8/2020 at 3:28 PM, 87JAG said:

Do you remember what happened to jump start the Mustangs playoff roll in the 80's?

It depends on who you ask.  Many will point to the 1985 team, WO-S' last team before moving to 4A (what is now 5A).  That team went 11-1-1, had it's first 10-0 regular season, finished the regular season ranked #4 in 5A and took the 1985 Yates team, which went on to capture the 5A State Championship and is considered by some the best in Texas High School History, to the limit.

But I think that the 1984 season, even though the Mustangs didn't make the playoffs, was the turning point.  They were in a season in which "the change" occurred, which meant that there was a big attitude change which resulted in the Mustangs beating then #9 ranked West Brook and recovering from what is still the Mustangs' only onfield losing season and were in the playoff hunt until the last week of the regular season.  The '85 team built off of that team and made the playoffs for the first time in 6 years and the '86 team won WO-S' first state championship 2 years later.

I remembered the dropping down in division. I always believed that was nitrous for your program. I knew you were competitive because we played you. Yates was a beast in the 80's. There was some NFL players on that team. You shared more detail than outsiders had been privy to. I still believe you could compete in 6A at least on a local level. WOS dominance then and now (30+ yrs) is the reason I believe you are the premier football powerhouse in the area.