Montverde Academy Crowned National Champions

With the season being cut short, Montverde Academy was crowned National Champs for 2020.  Montverde Academy did a two-step in Texas, beating  Yates (#1 in 4A) and Duncanville (#1 in 6A) during the Thanksgiving Hoopfest.  I enjoyed watching that team during the Hoopfest.  Montverde won by an average of 39 points against some of the Elite Teams this year.  

Past MaxPreps National Champions
2009 — 
This is the hidden content, please
2010 — 
2011 — St. Anthony (Jersey City, N.J.)
2012 — St. Anthony (Jersey City, N.J.); 
2013 — 
; 
2014 — 

2015 — Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.)
2016 — 
2017 — 
2018 — Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.) 
2019 — 

2 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

With the season being cut short, Montverde Academy was crowned National Champs for 2020.  Montverde Academy did a two-step in Texas, beating  Yates (#1 in 4A) and Duncanville (#1 in 6A) during the Thanksgiving Hoopfest.  I enjoyed watching that team during the Hoopfest.  Montverde won by an average of 39 points against some of the Elite Teams this year.  

Beat Yates by a 50 piece and could have been much worse.  Yates can recruit with the best of the Houston schools but the Montverdes and IMGs of the world do that on a whole other level. 

21 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Beat Yates by a 50 piece and could have been much worse.  Yates can recruit with the best of the Houston schools but the Montverdes and IMGs of the world do that on a whole other level. 

Please remember Coach Wise did not have All of the transfer/recruit  kids available for the games in The Hoopfest but still played the games knowing it was going to be a beat down. Yates starting 5 was small compared to the 2 teams they played. Yates also took a beating by  Nationally Ranked Sunrise Christian Academy, ranked #4 in The Hoopfest 84-47.

Maybe Yates should have used China Springs game plan by playing stall ball after being down by 20+ in the 1st qtr against those teams???  

What’s crazy is that Coach Wise will probably attempt to schedule a game against those elite teams next season.  

42 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

Please remember Coach Wise did not have All of the transfer/recruit  kids available for the games in The Hoopfest but still played the games knowing it was going to be a beat down. Yates starting 5 was small compared to the 2 teams they played. Yates also took a beating by  Nationally Ranked Sunrise Christian Academy, ranked #4 in The Hoopfest 84-47.

Maybe Yates should have used China Springs game plan by playing stall ball after being down by 20+ in the 1st qtr against those teams???  

What’s crazy is that Coach Wise will probably attempt to schedule a game against those elite teams next season.  

Yates doesn’t have a single player who would make Montverde’s team.  Sounds crazy but still true.  As for game planning, Yates most years finds itself in games where altering how they play would fit that particular game.  Montverde and Sunrise would be 2 of those games.  Tough to try to run and press against teams where your guards are inferior. 

17 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Yates doesn’t have a single player who would make Montverde’s team.  Sounds crazy but still true.  As for game planning, Yates most years finds itself in games where altering how they play would fit that particular game.  Montverde and Sunrise would be 2 of those games.  Tough to try to run and press against teams where your guards are inferior. 

It would be difficult for the majority of players in 4A region 3 to make Montverde’s team. 

13 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

I would concede it might have been closer than 58-14 at half.  But MV’s best player only took like 7 shots in that game.  Reminded me of a pickup game where the team that has been waiting finally gets a shot and the team that owns the floor puts in cruise control and takes a rest while playing and keeping the floor.   It wasn’t even remotely competitive.  Kind of like a Silsbee vs HF game before Coach Tigee.   Merely to point out that arguably the most talented team in the state looked like scrubs against the team awarded the National Championship at the HS level.  But to put it in further perspective and to show you what Yates was dealing with, I am convinced of something after seeing several of the SLC teams this year.  Montverde would beat some, if not most, of the teams in that league.   

8 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I would concede it might have been closer than 58-14 at half.  But MV’s best player only took like 7 shots in that game.  Reminded me of a pickup game where the team that has been waiting finally gets a shot and the team that owns the floor puts in cruise control and takes a rest while playing and keeping the floor.   It wasn’t even remotely competitive.  Kind of like a Silsbee vs HF game before Coach Tigee.   Merely to point out that arguably the most talented team in the state looked like scrubs against the team awarded the National Championship at the HS level.  But to put it in further perspective and to show you what Yates was dealing with, I am convinced of something after seeing several of the SLC teams this year.  Montverde would beat some, if not most, of the teams in that league.   

Wow .. ya think so ? I think that would be super tough 

3 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

This is kind of a waisted recruiting season for Jack Yates huh?? 

Yea ok !!!... but to poo on  ur parade ... based on what yates  have coming back they’ll be favs to win region again next year .. so step ur game up and stop wanting to move the Goal post when it doesn’t benefit y’all 

7 minutes ago, bayou city 713 said:

Yea ok !!!... but to poo on  ur parade ... based on what yates  have coming back they’ll be favs to win region again next year .. so step ur game up and stop wanting to move the Goal post when it doesn’t benefit y’all 

They are losing 9 seniors 🤣🤣🤣. Thet will recruit to get back right

50 minutes ago, bayou city 713 said:

Wow .. ya think so ? I think that would be super tough 

I do.  Cunningham would easily be the best player in that league right now (he will be drafted first or second in the 2021 draft most likely) and Barnes would be the best player in the league if Cunningham wasn’t in it (he is almost a lock lottery pick, one and done).  Potentially, you are talking about a HS team with 6 future NBA players on it.  I probably was a little conservative.  They might beat every team in that league (SFA might be tough).  And that is no disrespect the Southland.  That’s how good MV is.  (And Cunningham will be the best player in the Big 12 next season by the way.)

All that to say Yates shouldn’t feel disrespected when someone says they aren’t on the same planet with that team.  If Montverde came at them and played tip to buzzer with the same intensity they do against IMG, they realistically beat JY by 80-90 points.  Yates doesn’t have a kid on their campus that can keep CC from doing anything he wants (look at his stat line in that game).  And Barnes can put either one of those bigs in the rim as often as he wants.  

23 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

All that to say Yates shouldn’t feel disrespected when someone says they aren’t on the same planet with that team.  If Montverde came at them and played tip to buzzer with the same intensity they do against IMG, they realistically beat JY by 80-90 points.  Yates doesn’t have a kid on their campus that can keep CC from doing anything he wants (look at his stat line in that game).  And Barnes can put either one of those bigs in the rim as often as he wants.  

I can agree with them dragging yates but a mid level D1 college team idk bruh .. especially a team full of upperclassmen ... the iq and physical level of 21-22 year olds .. idk bruh !! 

31 minutes ago, bayou city 713 said:

I can agree with them dragging yates but a mid level D1 college team idk bruh .. especially a team full of upperclassmen ... the iq and physical level of 21-22 year olds .. idk bruh !! 

You have no idea.  5-6 potential first round picks.  Two lottery picks next year, including the likely top lock.  I’m not sure they don’t beat a power school.  Rutgers for instance...Montverde has a much better roster.  And physical?  Have you seen Cunningham?  6-7 point guard with an NBA body.  Right now.  Just catch an Oklahoma state game or two next season and get back to me.  Or Florida State.  And their big man?  Signed with North Carolina.   He’s not bad either.  

Just keep in mind that either of their two best players would be on the short list of best prospects in the HISTORY of that league.  Other than Karl Malone, Joe Dumas, and Andrew Toney, there is probably no one else in the same category. 

Yates Nation is fine with losing those games (4 games) against nationally ranked teams. Yes Yates was clearly overmatched and could not match their skill level. The talent level on those teams were overwhelming but fun to watch.  I applaud Coach Wise for taking on the challenge and allowing his team the opportunity to play against superior teams. Coach Wise would prefer to play those teams and get an old fashion whipping then play anyone in 4A region 3 during the preseason.  

26 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

Yates Nation is fine with losing those games (4 games) against nationally ranked teams. Yes Yates was clearly overmatched and could not match their skill level. The talent level on those teams were overwhelming but fun to watch.  I applaud Coach Wise for taking on the challenge and allowing his team the opportunity to play against superior teams. Coach Wise would prefer to play those teams and get an old fashion whipping then play anyone in 4A region 3 during the preseason.  

If they’re going to continue popping up with multiple 6’8 senior “move ins” each year they should probably compete against those schools all season. Preseason, district, and post season. 

23 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

If they’re going to continue popping up with multiple 6’8 senior “move ins” each year they should probably compete against those schools all season. Preseason, district, and post season. 

Yates played those games without the Big Man so the transfer portal/recruits did not factor in.  Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles could see that Yates were going to loss those games. But at least Yates took on the challenge to complete and didn’t let those games affect their season.  Those elite teams are not going away any time soon so why not take on the challenge and play them. I hear all of the criticism about those teams but don’t see too many teams on this thread taking on the challenge to play them. It’s sad these good X’s and O’s Coaches are not willing to challenge their teams ability to play above their level in a preseason game. I understand your team would loss similar to the way Yates lost, but give them the opportunity to complete against those teams.

2 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

Yates played those games without the Big Man so the transfer portal/recruits did not factor in.  Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles could see that Yates were going to loss those games. But at least Yates took on the challenge to complete and didn’t let those games affect their season.  Those elite teams are not going away any time soon so why not take on the challenge and play them. I hear all of the criticism about those teams but don’t see too many teams on this thread taking on the challenge to play them. It’s sad these good X’s and O’s Coaches are not willing to challenge their teams ability to play above their level in a preseason game. I understand your team would loss similar to the way Yates lost, but give them the opportunity to complete against those teams.

I’m pretty sure the Yates coach scheduled those games because he was confident in his teams ability to play somewhere close to that level. Coaches don’t normally schedule teams they don’t think they can compete with. And those elite teams don’t normally want to play anyone who’s not going to challenge them. Either way I don’t care who teams chose to play in preseason. I do care who teams are forced to have to compete with during district and the playoffs. 

21 hours ago, bayou city 713 said:

I watched every single Southland team play this year at least once if not twice. I can safely say that Monteverde would beat every team in the conference. Take SFA, the best team in the conference by far. Their big man is about 6’6-6-7, 260 lbs. In pick and rolls he cannot possible guard MVA’s quick bigs. MVA is also coached by a HS coaching legend, Kevin Boyle, who could be at a plethora of Power 5 schools if he wanted to be. He is a good enough coach to immediately see that mismatch and score at will. The matchups just aren’t there even for the most dominant team in the conference. Also worth noting, Cade Cunningham runs that show and he may be 18 years old but had the body AND mind of a 25 year old.