Montverde Academy Crowned National Champions

4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

He’s definitely an elite shooter.  Big shooting guard (6-6 with a nice frame) who can also score on all 3 levels.  Also is really good on the defensive end.  Mr. BG is going to be a big fan. 

Yea that’s good length and he has a quick release also. 

22 hours ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

Montverde, IMG, Oak Hill, Sunrise, Findlay, etc are all very, very good, but they should be.  They pull talent from all over the country and even the world.  Of course they should strum a school like Yates, who only pulls players from all over Houston.  And a typical high school team only gets kids from their own town or district.  It's not a level playing field, but we're not getting into that again.

Now, Montverde vs SFA or a mid-major is an interesting question.  They'd be more talented and their potential is MUCH higher, but I've heard Marvin Lewis say potential gets you beat.  The difference in the body of a 21 yr old compared to a 16 yr old is huge.  The difference mentally is even more pronounced.  I'd argue that coaching would be in favor of an SFA as well.  Those prep coaches would jump at the opportunity to be a D1 coach.  How much strategy goes into beating high school teams by 50 with a team of all stars?  How much struggle and adversity?  The benefit of going to those prep schools is to practice against the best day in and day out and they serve that purpose.  I don't think Montverde would win a mid major conference though.

Not to mention that any give year the special All USA prep teams have and can be beat by juggernaut  Houston High Schools, and have  in the past. Used to witness It at the Academy Tourney every year when it was held here. Carmelo Anthony, Tyson chandler , Micheal Beasley, Martellus Bennett , jarien grant  , and several Rainer Beach ,  and oak hill teams that were stacked with multiple one and doners .. watched the great willowridge , Waltrip , milby and yates teams .. and don’t think any could beat a d one program. Like you say we would know who the best players are but I’d take the college kids. 

On 3/26/2020 at 12:39 PM, TxHoops said:

Except not THESE HS players.  That’s where you’re missing the point bruh.  

Talk to an NBA scout and ask him where Cade would be drafted, if eligible, in next month’s originally scheduled draft.  Guarantee you it would be top 5.  Barnes would be a first rounder.  Both would be expected to play from the jump.   Then ask them how many first rounders will come from the entirety of the SLC.  

This has not been the first team a high school team has been stacked like that. Any given year these teams are beatable by special local teams. 

1 hour ago, bayou city 713 said:

Not to mention that any give year the special All USA prep teams have and can be beat by juggernaut  Houston High Schools, and have  in the past. Used to witness It at the Academy Tourney every year when it was held here. Carmelo Anthony, Tyson chandler , Micheal Beasley, Martellus Bennett , jarien grant  , and several Rainer Beach ,  and oak hill teams that were stacked with multiple one and doners .. watched the great willowridge , Waltrip , milby and yates teams .. and don’t think any could beat a d one program. Like you say we would know who the best players are but I’d take the college kids. 

1 hour ago, bayou city 713 said:

This has not been the first team a high school team has been stacked like that. Any given year these teams are beatable by special local teams. 

🤦🏻‍♂️😂🤣

I doubt there was a team in the history of Houston basketball that could have stayed on the floor with that team.  Sorry.  You are reaching now.  Obviously H-town has struggled to compete with DFW.  Thus the recruitment and formation of this year’s Yates team (Which I get - if you can’t beat em, join em).  The team that got run out of the gym by a MV team that was toying with them.  

And FYI, that was a “special local team.”  Not saying a “special” Houston can’t compete with some of the National teams, but definitely not a team like this MV team (which if you read the article, is being debated as maybe the best HS team ever).   

Gone are the days when a Yates team or any Houston team can compete with the national juggernaut teams.  You just don’t have the talent base or wherewithal to compete. 

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Personally, I don't consider MV a high school basketball team. I also don't consider any school that brings in players from around the nation a high school team.

I don’t really consider them high school basketball teams neither. Overseas I believe they call these pro or semi pro teams. Nonetheless they are high school aged kids and they play great basketball. I’m not upset about that long as traditional high school teams aren’t being forced to attempt to compete with them 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

🤦🏻‍♂️😂🤣

I doubt there was a team in the history of Houston basketball that could have stayed on the floor with that team.  Sorry.  You are reaching now.  Obviously H-town has struggled to compete with DFW.  Thus the recruitment and formation of this year’s Yates team (Which I get - if you can’t beat em, join em).  The team that got run out of the gym by a MV team that was toying with them.  

And FYI, that was a “special local team.”  Not saying a “special” Houston can’t compete with some of the National teams, but definitely not a team like this MV team (which if you read the article, is being debated as maybe the best HS team ever).   

Gone are the days when a Yates team or any Houston team can compete with the national juggernaut teams.  You just don’t have the talent base or wherewithal to compete. 

That’s false .. this years yates team was good state wise but maybe top 100 nationally at best   , yates has had five teams better than this years team. Has had four  nationally ranked Top 25 teams. You obviously haven’t watched a lot of Houston basketball in the past. I’m talking juggernaut teams that come around every 5-10 years. And before this year The 09 yates team was being talked about as the best ever. These are kids stuff goes in cycles. 

37 minutes ago, bayou city 713 said:

That’s false .. this years yates team was good state wise but maybe top 100 nationally at best   , yates has had five teams better than this years team. Has had four  nationally ranked Top 25 teams. You obviously haven’t watched a lot of Houston basketball in the past. I’m talking juggernaut teams that come around every 5-10 years. And before this year The 09 yates team was being talked about as the best ever. These are kids stuff goes in cycles. 

Been around it for awhile.  Like I said, none of those Yates teams could have challenged this year’s MV team.  How many of those Yates teams had multiple lottery picks on the team?  I’ll answer for you - none.  Like I said, different day and age.  Yates will and other Houston teams will have some “juggernauts” in the future but not on the level of this MV team.  Just stay in your lane and you’ll be fine.  

9 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Been around it for awhile.  Like I said, none of those Yates teams could have challenged this year’s MV team.  How many of those Yates teams had multiple lottery picks on the team?  I’ll answer for you - none.  Like I said, different day and age.  Yates will and other Houston teams will have some “juggernauts” in the future but not on the level of this MV team.  Just stay in your lane and you’ll be fine.  

My point is teams with a great mix of chemistry And talent have beaten teams with multiple picks before .. And what gives your opinions all of the value again ? 

26 minutes ago, bayou city 713 said:

My point is teams with a great mix of chemistry And talent have beaten teams with multiple picks before .. And what gives your opinions all of the value again ? 

We are talking about this team which has both.  They beat Mater Dei by 40+, DeMatha by 20, Chicago Whitney Young by 26, Atlanta McEachern by 50+, Archbishop Carroll by 50+, scotlandville (La) by 30+, and IMG by 20.  All typically perennial powers from across the county. I don’t think you appreciate (from your comments only) how good this team was.  You will when you watch some of those kids in the league.  Like I said, when 2 of MV’s players from a recent team were top 2 picks and are now NBA all stars (played one year in college), maybe you would concede they would fare well against a low mid team, maybe you wouldn’t.  Most believe this year’s team was deeper and better. 

My opinions don’t have “all of the value.”  They might be more informed because I see most of these kids in person every spring and summer, and saw quite a bit of SLC basketball this year.  But just my opinion.  I happen to have one, as do you.  

And ultimately it’s all speculation.  But it’s a fun topic while we are cooped up and bored.  I’m just speculating correctly while you are not 😜  

13 hours ago, bayou city 713 said:

Where and when did I say a team from Texas this year could beat them ? Reread my post please 

15 hours ago, bayou city 713 said:

I was saying that this past season there were no “special local teams” that could’ve competed with MVA.

7 hours ago, TheTruth34 said:

I was saying that this past season there were no “special local teams” that could’ve competed with MVA.

You all are correct but I do know for 100% certainty that in Texas you can put a team together that would not only beat them but a double digit win against MV and they all wont be Seniors either....

37 minutes ago, Hooohead.com said:

You all are correct but I do know for 100% certainty that in Texas you can put a team together that would not only beat them but a double digit win against MV and they all wont be Seniors either....

I agree - James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Luka Doncic, LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMar DeRozan would take them for sure. 

My personal opinion, Yates 2010 team would be to small to compete against this current Montverde Academy, and this Yates Team played against some very good teams that particular year.  I can't name one team from the Houston or surrounding area that also includes SETX beating this Montverde Academy Powerhouse Team.      

1 hour ago, TheTruth34 said:

I would like to see this team...

Greg Brown, Mike Miles, Micah Peavy, LJ Cryer, Eddie Lampkin off the top of my head.  Not sure where this team wouldn’t be disadvantaged.  I think you put Bryce Griggs on the team as well.  He would be the only top of his class (2022) in Texas on the team since you have the top 2020 kid and the top 2021 kid from Texas already on MV’s roster. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2020 at 7:41 PM, TxHoops said:

I do.  Cunningham would easily be the best player in that league right now (he will be drafted first or second in the 2021 draft most likely) and Barnes would be the best player in the league if Cunningham wasn’t in it (he is almost a lock lottery pick, one and done).  Potentially, you are talking about a HS team with 6 future NBA players on it.  I probably was a little conservative.  They might beat every team in that league (SFA might be tough).  And that is no disrespect the Southland.  That’s how good MV is.  (And Cunningham will be the best player in the Big 12 next season by the way.)

Over a year later and Cade is the projected #1 pick. That Monteverde team will have 3 guys go top 10 in this years draft. Potentially two top 5 picks.