Montverde Academy Crowned National Champions

19 minutes ago, TheTruth34 said:

I watched every single Southland team play this year at least once if not twice. I can safely say that Monteverde would beat every team in the conference. Take SFA, the best team in the conference by far. Their big man is about 6’6-6-7, 260 lbs. In pick and rolls he cannot possible guard MVA’s quick bigs. MVA is also coached by a HS coaching legend, Kevin Boyle, who could be at a plethora of Power 5 schools if he wanted to be. He is a good enough coach to immediately see that mismatch and score at will. The matchups just aren’t there even for the most dominant team in the conference. Also worth noting, Cade Cunningham runs that show and he may be 18 years old but had the body AND mind of a 25 year old. 

SFA beat DUKE with more talent then Monteverde has...So to say they would beat everybody is crazy...

1 hour ago, Magic Johnson said:

SFA beat DUKE with more talent then Monteverde has...So to say they would beat everybody is crazy...

Kind of my thoughts as well on SFA.  They were a team deserving of a big dance bid, even if they hadn’t won the SLC tournament.   Kevon Harris was easily the best player in the conference this year.  Even so, he’s a far cry from an even 18 yo Cunningham, who will be the favorite to be Big XII player of the year next season (maybe the best Big 12 player since KD).  And no doubt MV has a far superior front court to SFA.  

Still, given what they were able to accomplish this season, I couldn’t favor a HS team over the Jacks.  I will say that I’m not sure who Comeaux guards on that team.  Every one of their guards is bigger and more skilled.  Likewise with SFA’s fronts.  They are undersized and less athletic.  Still, I have to give props to any team that beats any Coach K Duke team.  

But to say MV wouldn’t beat the majority of the SLC teams just simply is naive.  A few of those kids will be in the NBA in a little over a year.  A couple likely will be starters.  And the argument is whether they are the best HS team of all time.  A likely contender would be the Ben Simmons, D’Angelo Russell team (also Montverde).  Are we going to say that a team with a No 1 overall pick and a No 2 overall pick after one year of college ball wouldn’t beat most mid majors?

This is the hidden content, please

46 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I agree.

I do too AAW but imagine a team that beats Silsbee’s last state title team by 60-80 points (if not worse).  Because that’s what you’re talking about.  With, as Truth pointed out, a likely top 5 or 10 all time HS coach.  A coach who could leave tomorrow for most open Power 5 conference team head jobs. 

43 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I agree.

You are looking at what SFA did this year and not looking at the matchups. No offense to SFA’s big but a slow 6’6 big man can’t stay on the floor with future NBA bigs. Also, you can’t name one player on SFA’s entire roster that can guard a 6’7 point guard that will be in the mix for the #1 pick in the 2021 NBA draft. No discredit to what SFA accomplished this season. They play very hard and are very well coached. But when you put them on the same floor with guys who could play in the NBA right now, their talent can’t stack up. I’m not saying they have no shot, but it would be an upset, just like against Duke.

54 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Kind of my thoughts as well on SFA.  They were a team deserving of a big dance bid, even if they hadn’t won the SLC tournament.   Kevon Harris was easily the best player in the conference this year.  Even so, he’s a far cry from an even 18 yo Cunningham, who will be the favorite to be Big XII player of the year next season (maybe the best Big 12 player since KD).  And no doubt MV has a far superior front court to SFA.  

Still, given what they were able to accomplish this season, I couldn’t favor a HS team over the Jacks.  I will say that I’m not sure who Comeaux guards on that team.  Every one of their guards is bigger and more skilled.  Likewise with SFA’s fronts.  They are undersized and less athletic.  Still, I have to give props to any team that beats any Coach K Duke team.  

But to say MV wouldn’t beat the majority of the SLC teams just simply is naive.  A few of those kids will be in the NBA in a little over a year.  A couple likely will be starters.  And the argument is whether they are the best HS team of all time.  A likely contender would be the Ben Simmons, D’Angelo Russell team (also Montverde).  Are we going to say that a team with a No 1 overall pick and a No 2 overall pick after one year of college ball wouldn’t beat most mid majors?

This is the hidden content, please

Exactly. You have to actually look at the talent on the roster instead of assuming that they have certain limitation just because they are a HS team. I would bet that in a few years when Cade Cunningham is established in the league, the opinions on the conversation will change.

You can look for it to happen in the near future with more kids whether it be a sibling or a parent...Prep Schools do it all the time...they hire the Dad of a kid who's a possible lottery pick to Coach knowing hes bringing his son there and possibly bring an AAU teammate or two that can help the program win games since most of the private prep schools now have on campus living. I expect Houston to be doing it soon in Katy at the school called the Village...the Headcoach came from one of the perennial powerhouses and the resources he has is unlimited for himself and he has the son of a Hall of Famer there starting Highschool as well as one just Graduating and he himself likes to be in the gym with the kids himself because of the love of the game....The Dream...only know because I've seen it...worked a camp there this past summer....

14 hours ago, TheTruth34 said:

I watched every single Southland team play this year at least once if not twice. I can safely say that Monteverde would beat every team in the conference. Take SFA, the best team in the conference by far. Their big man is about 6’6-6-7, 260 lbs. In pick and rolls he cannot possible guard MVA’s quick bigs. MVA is also coached by a HS coaching legend, Kevin Boyle, who could be at a plethora of Power 5 schools if he wanted to be. He is a good enough coach to immediately see that mismatch and score at will. The matchups just aren’t there even for the most dominant team in the conference. Also worth noting, Cade Cunningham runs that show and he may be 18 years old but had the body AND mind of a 25 year old. 

I am reading all of these exchanges with a great deal of interest.   If I am understanding you all correctly, then the Houston Rockets should be losing every game with the biggest player on the floor being about 6'6"  ( at that level, who the coach is doesnt matter too much because they are all very competent)

3 hours ago, stevenash said:

I am reading all of these exchanges with a great deal of interest.   If I am understanding you all correctly, then the Houston Rockets should be losing every game with the biggest player on the floor being about 6'6"  ( at that level, who the coach is doesnt matter too much because they are all very competent)

What the Rockets do is a little different because they don’t run a big man. They play 5 guards/wings and use the speed and quickness of the small ball lineup to their advantage. SFA doesn’t play this way. Their pure 5 man is 6’6 and not quick. He’s very strong and plays really hard, but he is not quick at all. He’s very good at what he does and he works very well in the Southland because there’s not too much size in the conference as a whole. MVA’s center, Day’Ron Sharpe, is taller, just as strong, and runs the floor like a guard. It is a matchup nightmare for SFA especially with CC who is a smart PG and will find the mismatch every play. 

4 hours ago, Hooohead.com said:

They were very smart...They gave the one person a job who Cade trust throughout the process...His older Brother who now Coaches there...

Yes, Cade was a lock to OK State months before he committed. I will give credit to their coaching staff because they brought in a few more really nice players as well. Should be a great year for Oklahoma State basketball next year.

3 hours ago, stevenash said:

Let me add that not a team in the SLC has guards equivalent at the college level to a James Harden and Russell Westbrook.   What they would be playing vs MV is guards that ARE the equivalent - at that level of course.  Along with bigs that are blue chip program level elites. 

On 3/24/2020 at 2:04 PM, TxHoops said:

Let me add that not a team in the SLC has guards equivalent at the college level to a James Harden and Russell Westbrook.   What they would be playing vs MV is guards that ARE the equivalent - at that level of course.  Along with bigs that are blue chip program level elites. 

Is all of mv key players seniors ? I agree that if the game was played we would no doubt  know who the best players are in the game.. but the major mismatch is college upper classmen vs 10th graders... regardless of height and size , maturity and Basketball iq is a big advantage... especially when ya dealing with kids that are in the  15-22 age range .. each year is a huge gap until u reach ur peak 

7 hours ago, bayou city 713 said:

When I was younger I would debate my gpa And uncle on whether on the best 5a high school  Football team could beat the worst swac team , my gpa would be like no because what the college players lack physically  they supplement it with experience/iq and technique 

Huge difference between football and basketball.  Huge.  There’s a reason they have to stay in college longer (Or have to go to college) in that sport than the others.  Comparing apples and asparagus.  

On 3/24/2020 at 2:04 PM, TxHoops said:

One of the points being made was that if the post man is several inches taller and also quicker, that "mismatch" would be quickly and often exploited.   I have watched PJ Tucker against several different competent big men, and that "exploitation" rarely comes to pass

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

One of the points being made was that if the post man is several inches taller and also quicker, that "mismatch" would be quickly and often exploited.   I have watched PJ Tucker against several different competent big men, and that "exploitation" rarely comes to pass

Valid point.  Problem here is, MV roster is just better across the board.  And you are using an elite NBA defender as an example.  Guess what, Barkley played a lot bigger than 6-4 1/2 too.   Haven’t seen SFA’s big man.  Assuming from the poster who has, he’s not PJ or Chuck.  

12 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I bet several of the players on MV's team are "reclassified" players. Some probably are 19-20 years old by now.

Maybe so.  But Cunningham is 18.  And If he was eligible, might be the top pick in this year’s draft.  Would definitely be top 5. 

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Valid point.  Problem here is, MV roster is just better across the board.  And you are using an elite NBA defender as an example.  Guess what, Barkley played a lot bigger than 6-4 1/2 too.   Haven’t seen SFA’s big man.  Assuming from the poster who has, he’s not PJ or Chuck.  

Yes, I am using elite NBA defender but he is going up against elite centers as well

4 hours ago, stevenash said:

The point I was trying to make is that the rockets can use small ball effectively because it creates mismatches from the quickness of the lineup. They run a 5 out set and rely on their two star guards to create. Why running PJ tucker works is because he draws the big out of the paint because his corner three ball draws respect and attention. He’s also quick enough to drive by most bigs on close outs. SFA’s big is a liability on offense so he would just be a mismatch with no benefit on the offensive end. Also to your point, the NBA today hardly ever feeds bigs down low. A lot of NBA bigs don’t even have polished post skills. Most are either rim running athletic bigs or stretch bigs. 

Pj tucker uses other things that comes with experience and being a NBA veteran  to make up for his lack of height and other deficiencies   . The best big man in college would struggle vs him, he’ll they would even struggle vs harden down low. You guys are u underrating basketball experience , and basketball experience vs competition.