WO-S Head Basketball coach reassigned

I'm saddened by this for two reasons:

1. No more good entertainment during Mustang b-ball games

2. WOS might be an actual threat in basketball next year

I did notice their JV coach had the team playing well from when I saw them play. Kids seemed to respond really well to him, as opposed to the kids on the varsity squad who always looked like they were at a funeral.

4 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

I'm saddened by this for two reasons:

1. No more good entertainment during Mustang b-ball games

2. WOS might be an actual threat in basketball next year

I did notice their JV coach had the team playing well from when I saw them play. Kids seemed to respond really well to him, as opposed to the kids on the varsity squad who always looked like they were at a funeral.

I believe their JV scored 2 points in the first half of a game I saw them play late in the season. I don’t think there is much emphasis on basketball at WOS. That’s a shame because they always got some horses. The coach was worth the price of admission lol

13 hours ago, whsalum said:

I believe their JV scored 2 points in the first half of a game I saw them play late in the season. I don’t think there is much emphasis on basketball at WOS. That’s a shame because they always got some horses. The coach was worth the price of admission lol

I enjoyed watching (and listening lol) to him coach as well.  I heard early in this season that it was likely he would not be retained as coach.   Not saying the decision was made then but it sounded like he needed to have something special happen to retain his job.   Basketball and WOS is a peculiar thing. 

17 hours ago, whsalum said:

That's crazy.

They actually beat Silsbee the first time they played.

32 minutes ago, OneChance said:

I was talking to a WOS parent last season and he said Coach would not let the boys shoot a 3pt shot unless it was in the corner, if they did shoot a 3pt shot from anywhere else he would immediately sub that player out of game.

He probably got tired of seeing them long rebounds come off the front iron and go the other way 😂

1 hour ago, Tigers94 said:

That's crazy.

They actually beat Silsbee the first time they played.

They didn’t score in the 1st quarter against HJ and scored 2 in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. The final was 47-15 and it was at WOS. They hit a 3 at the buzzer. It wasn’t pretty. 

2 hours ago, OneChance said:

I was talking to a WOS parent last season and he said Coach would not let the boys shoot a 3pt shot unless it was in the corner, if they did shoot a 3pt shot from anywhere else he would immediately sub that player out of game.

I personally don’t think strict limitations on players is a good style of coaching. Limitations are sometimes needed but too many limitations is a good way to have a talented team underachieve. They will never be able to perform freely if they’re worried about being yanked. Gotta let the dogs loose and not try n tame them 

1 hour ago, Setx fan said:

I personally don’t think strict limitations on players is a good style of coaching. Limitations are sometimes needed but too many limitations is a good way to have a talented team underachieve. They will never be able to perform freely if they’re worried about being yanked. Gotta let the dogs loose and not try n tame them 

I can agree with that to a certain point however no one knows their players like a coach. Nothing will get you beat quicker than a bunch of bad 3 point shooters. I don’t think the coach was the issue at WOS. There has been some good ones there over the last few years. It just doesn’t look like it get the emphasis that is necessary to win from the outside looking in. 

57 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I can agree with that to a certain point however no one knows their players like a coach. Nothing will get you beat quicker than a bunch of bad 3 point shooters. I don’t think the coach was the issue at WOS. There has been some good ones there over the last few years. It just doesn’t look like it get the emphasis that is necessary to win from the outside looking in. 

Not saying WOS problem was the coach because I didn’t see them play this year although I do know they normally have good athletes. Yea bad shots can take you out of a game but lack of confidence and being too stiff will take you out quicker. You don’t fix bad shot selection by threatening to yank players in my opinion. 

14 hours ago, Setx fan said:

Not saying WOS problem was the coach because I didn’t see them play this year although I do know they normally have good athletes. Yea bad shots can take you out of a game but lack of confidence and being too stiff will take you out quicker. You don’t fix bad shot selection by threatening to yank players in my opinion. 

I saw WOS several times and they did have some athletes. They also had a pretty darn good coach. I think the players have to buy in to the coaches philosophy and realize there are some things that will get ya set down. I don’t know anything about their off season stuff but I’m willing to bet there isn’t much emphasis on basketball. I hope the coach stays local 

On 3/15/2020 at 12:32 PM, TxHoops said:

I enjoyed watching (and listening lol) to him coach as well.  I heard early in this season that it was likely he would not be retained as coach.   Not saying the decision was made then but it sounded like he needed to have something special happen to retain his job.   Basketball and WOS is a peculiar thing. 

1.  Football

2.  Baseball

3.  Studying

4.  Basketball

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently heard from a West Orange Stark Board Member that Wilson who was the girls Coach is getting the job.  He did a great job with the girls, my niece played for him this past season and all the girls loved his style.   He also got 3 of our girls college scholarships and a boy that graduated in 2019 one as well.  I'm excited to see what he can do wit our boys because he worked those girls hard and they loved it. I personally thought he was leaving after 1 year because everyone keeps talking about how great a softball guy he is.  

I think WOS got it right and hired a guy that fits our athletes.  Coach Barstow is still a very good coach but Wilson has a style that fits our athletes and I know I am excited to see what he can do on the boys side.  This guys will have the gym open all summer and kids coming out that should have been playing all along.  Hopefully they get a good replacement for the girls and don't just put anyone over there because we have a lot of talent coming back.  

This is the hidden content, please