*2020 State Tournament Brackets*

On 3/9/2020 at 10:55 AM, Mohead2000 said:

AAW, I agree with you with on this. The UIL has always used this process of pairing teams for the state tournament. Yates has played both Kimball and Madison each twice for the State Championship and Lancaster once for the title game. All three schools are predominantly African-American schools in the Dallas area. And Yates have played schools like The Colony, Brookshire Royal, and Kennedale which are not predominantly African-American schools in the state semi-finals. Like you said it is coincidental, luck of the draw, or whatever you want to call it when it comes to these pairings at the state tournament. 

However, racially motivated decisions happens in all aspects of life. So I understand where SportsJunkie is coming from. From politics, business, work, education, etc., race plays a huge part. Some people in America are culturally conditioned to believe that white is superior and black is inferior. That conditioning is believed by both black and white people. Most of the time, people don't even realize that they conditioned to believe this. African-Americans are undervalued, underestimated, and marginalized all of the time.

Since this particular forum is strictly about High School sports I will keep it right here. For example kids transfer for different reasons, however the vitriol in the comments I see in these posts for Yates, I don't see when people talk about Argyle, Katy, Aledo and many other schools that have transfers in. The difference in these schools and Yates is that Yates is predominantly African-American and the other schools are predominantly White. They may mentioned the dislike for these schools doing this, but not with the same intensity and hatred.  When people get on here and talk about Yates Magnet Communications Progam, they are being condescending thus culturally conditioned to believe that program is not that good because it is a black school and always been a black school since it's inception. However we have national syndicated columnist and news reporters who have graduated from that same program. Most people on this site do not even realize every high school  in HISD has a magnet program associated it. 

On yesterday's hot topic of the 22-4A all district selection, you could see that same vitriol and hate for the HF coach and it has been going on for a while. I don't know the coach and have never met him but when the topic of HF's turnaround came about earlier in the season, I knew he was a black man based on the comments. Anyone who can turn a program that has been a dumpster fire for years into a play-off team in one season deserves to be the COTY, period. Let's not bring up the transfer issue in this, because we all know that many schools have benefited from that. I have been following this site for a while now and I have seen the comments with racial undertones. So let's not act like racism does not play a part on what goes on in America, this site or on the high school level.

This site has posters that will go on the political thread and post some racially motivated rants and then come on the sports threads and congratulate the African-American athletes. Which leads me to believe that some are only accepting of these kids for what they can do on the football field or the basketball court. It's a school right there in southeast Texas in you guys coverage area that is guilty of that right now with the acceptance of athletes and non-acceptance of regular students who are both African-American. That issue was strictly about race and cultural conditioning. Plus I have read comments from posters on this site calling certain communities code words like "ghetto and thugs." They were not talking about the white people from these communities, they were talking about the black people from these communities. There have been many issues concerning race in the different communities in SE Texas and in the whole state and it is not just limited to high school athletics. If you would like to have a intelligent conversation about this issue or any other issues in person, I too will be at the state tournament in San Antonio this weekend.

👆
I don’t care if anyone agrees or disagrees with it, that was a well-written, well-reasoned post. 

They probably didn’t start it, but Odessa Permian certainly perfected the “recruiting process” during the Oil Boom in the 70s and 80s.  Unlike Yates, the big selling point was financial remuneration.  Dads got jobs, Moms got jobs.  Families got homes.  And an above average football program was turned into a powerhouse/dynasty.  Bissinger wrote a fantastic book on the town, the program, and the issues of race that still plagued the area at the end of the 80s.  Why he didn’t delve more into that aspect of Mojo I guess only he can answer.  Because it was certainly there and no secret in West Texas and elsewhere.  But no one said Boo about it  

Yates didn’t invent that wheel (or HF or EC or whomever else you want to bring up about HS “move ins”).  They are merely operating under rules that have probably been skirted since the UiL came into existence.  

15 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

👆
I don’t care if anyone agrees or disagrees with it, that was a well-written, well-reasoned post. 

They probably didn’t start it, but Odessa Permian certainly perfected the “recruiting process” during the Oil Boom in the 70s and 80s.  Unlike Yates, the big selling point was financial remuneration.  Dads got jobs, Moms got jobs.  Families got homes.  And an above average football program was turned into a powerhouse/dynasty.  Bissinger wrote a fantastic book on the town, the program, and the issues of race that still plagued the area at the end of the 80s.  Why he didn’t delve more into that aspect of Mojo I guess only he can answer.  Because it was certainly there and no secret in West Texas and elsewhere.  But no one said Boo about it  

Yates didn’t invent that wheel (or HF or EC or whomever else you want to bring up about HS “move ins”).  They are merely operating under rules that have probably been skirted since the UiL came into existence.  

I agree with all you wrote. 

1 hour ago, Mohead2000 said:

I am glad that you brought up Odessa Permian, them and Ector County ISD were the UIL originators of strategically making decisions for athletic purposes. Those decisions that were made was strickly about race. EC ISD wanted those athletes that were originally zoned to Odessa High to attend Permian after de-segregation, so they strategically re-zoned the district in the 70's and early 80's to make this happen. I have good friends who played football for Permian and their parents and other family members taught at Permian and other schools in the district. I have a lot of knowledge from insiders on how Permian became a football powerhouse. Trust me there was a lot of illegal and unethical practices going on to make that happen. And like you said, no one said a mumbling word about the situation. Buzz's book Friday Night Lights just exposed some of the things that were going on. If he wrote about everything, the book would be probably more than a 1000 pages, lol. He is no longer welcomed in Odessa.

No he is not.  Apparently the death threats were abundant after its release.  And I’m like you - knowing what I do about some of the things that went on there, I thought Buzz went pretty easy on them.  

9 hours ago, TxHoops said:

No he is not.  Apparently the death threats were abundant after its release.  And I’m like you - knowing what I do about some of the things that went on there, I thought Buzz went pretty easy on them.  

Read the other Buzz book, he spent more time with Boobie on it. Then listen to both Boobie interviews. It's enlightening. 

Silsbee boys went to state in 72 and played Odessa Ector HS.  It was a black high school.  Silsbee, under coach Dan Montgomery was playing fundamental checkers.  Odessa was playing fast break chess.  Silsbee had decent height but Ector had this guard who just drove down the lane with all sorts of nasty moves and scored at will.  Ector won by 12.