*2020 State Tournament Brackets*

3 hours ago, Mohead2000 said:

AAW, I agree with you with on this. The UIL has always used this process of pairing teams for the state tournament. Yates has played both Kimball and Madison each twice for the State Championship and Lancaster once for the title game. All three schools are predominantly African-American schools in the Dallas area. And Yates have played schools like The Colony, Brookshire Royal, and Kennedale which are not predominantly African-American schools in the state semi-finals. Like you said it is coincidental, luck of the draw, or whatever you want to call it when it comes to these pairings at the state tournament. 

However, racially motivated decisions happens in all aspects of life. So I understand where SportsJunkie is coming from. From politics, business, work, education, etc., race plays a huge part. Some people in America are culturally conditioned to believe that white is superior and black is inferior. That conditioning is believed by both black and white people. Most of the time, people don't even realize that they conditioned to believe this. African-Americans are undervalued, underestimated, and marginalized all of the time.

Since this particular forum is strictly about High School sports I will keep it right here. For example kids transfer for different reasons, however the vitriol in the comments I see in these posts for Yates, I don't see when people talk about Argyle, Katy, Aledo and many other schools that have transfers in. The difference in these schools and Yates is that Yates is predominantly African-American and the other schools are predominantly White. They may mentioned the dislike for these schools doing this, but not with the same intensity and hatred.  When people get on here and talk about Yates Magnet Communications Progam, they are being condescending thus culturally conditioned to believe that program is not that good because it is a black school and always been a black school since it's inception. However we have national syndicated columnist and news reporters who have graduated from that same program. Most people on this site do not even realize every high school  in HISD has a magnet program associated it. 

On yesterday's hot topic of the 22-4A all district selection, you could see that same vitriol and hate for the HF coach and it has been going on for a while. I don't know the coach and have never met him but when the topic of HF's turnaround came about earlier in the season, I knew he was a black man based on the comments. Anyone who can turn a program that has been a dumpster fire for years into a play-off team in one season deserves to be the COTY, period. Let's not bring up the transfer issue in this, because we all know that many schools have benefited from that. I have been following this site for a while now and I have seen the comments with racial undertones. So let's not act like racism does not play a part on what goes on in America, this site or on the high school level.

This site has posters that will go on the political thread and post some racially motivated rants and then come on the sports threads and congratulate the African-American athletes. Which leads me to believe that some are only accepting of these kids for what they can do on the football field or the basketball court. It's a school right there in southeast Texas in you guys coverage area that is guilty of that right now with the acceptance of athletes and non-acceptance of regular students who are both African-American. That issue was strictly about race and cultural conditioning. Plus I have read comments from posters on this site calling certain communities code words like "ghetto and thugs." They were not talking about the white people from these communities, they were talking about the black people from these communities. There have been many issues concerning race in the different communities in SE Texas and in the whole state and it is not just limited to high school athletics. If you would like to have a intelligent conversation about this issue or any other issues in person, I too will be at the state tournament in San Antonio this weekend.

I agree with everything you have stated. Very well put. My mention of racially motivated decisions was strictly about the subject of the UIL and it's state tourney pairings.

36 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

I don’t understand why The UIL can’t use the same procedure they use for the playoffs 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. The UIL leaves it self wide open for criticism and conspiracy theories with the State Tournament seeding. Jim Hicks on The Chop Shop just asked the coaches that are listening to his show if they have ever witnessed the coin toss/draw a The State Tournament. I spoke with the AD at Yates and no one from Yates was present. This is why that Good Old Boy System with the coin toss/draw behind closed doors need to stop. It needs to be a transparent system. The seeding can be rigged behind closed doors involving a selected few individuals. 

But how is it racially motivated? Particularly when 2 of the 4 top UIL admins involved are African-American.

19 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

The conspiracy theories are out there, just by luck the African American Schools are playing each other for the second straight year.  The competition in San Antonio will be something Yates haven’t seen sense The Thanksgiving Hoopfest. Region 3 ready did not  give Yates an opportunity to play completive teams similar to the Dallas Schools. Yates let’s go get a W. 
This is my personal opinion & Yates Nation.

I'm pulling for Yates. Bring it back home

10 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I am wanting an Argyle/Yates final. Really want to see how each team handles each teams style of play.

Argyle is very capable of slowing Yates down. They are a much, much better version of China Spring. Argyle has the length, guard play and coaching that can cause Yates fits.

I agree!! Argyle is very fundamentally sound. 

9 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

Sir I will respectfully say it’s no use for us to continue this conversation regarding race involving The UIL.  We can agree to disagree regarding this issue.  Have a Great Trip in San Antonio Sir

Ahh the race debate again... Well as me being an African-American myself the stuff you just alluded to does not even matter and why should you even care?  The best teams from each region made it wherever they are a predominantly black or white team so it should not matter.  Honestly I like to see an all white team make it to state because that should let you know that talent runs deeper than race but I will be rooting for Yates simply because I don't like Dallas area teams wherever it's basketball or other sports.

Okay black men can hoop.  We got enough hoopers.  We need to work on more black male Drs, Lawyers, financial this & that.  You don't have to be tall for any of those. You don't have to be able to go left or right.  Don't have to run a 4.34 in the 40.  

2 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Okay black men can hoop.  We got enough hoopers.  We need to work on more black male Drs, Lawyers, financial this & that.  You don't have to be tall for any of those. You don't have to be able to go left or right.  Don't have to run a 4.34 in the 40.  

Exactly somebody tell him something so he can get off his so called "high horse" and I don't think his horse is high enough for the subject he's aiming at

13 hours ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

Ahh the race debate again... Well as me being an African-American myself the stuff you just alluded to does not even matter and why should you even care?  The best teams from each region made it wherever they are a predominantly black or white team so it should not matter.  Honestly I like to see an all white team make it to state because that should let you know that talent runs deeper than race but I will be rooting for Yates simply because I don't like Dallas area teams wherever it's basketball or other sports.

I think he may be laughing at those type statements ..lol... but yea that can’t be the only reason your rooting for Yates  because you don’t like Dallas teams. 

On 3/8/2020 at 8:41 PM, Uncle Pig said:

Gotcha

Same thing with Newton based on geography.  Beaumont is closer to Houston than Beaumont is to Newton.  I like how these small schools in the middle of no-where get claimed when they find some success b the larger metropolitan areas.  No, I am not being sarcastic.  Those schools/communities deserve the recognition.  This site does a great job of covering a very large area in multiple sports.

1 hour ago, Mamba said:

I think he may be laughing at those type statements ..lol... but yea that can’t be the only reason your rooting for Yates  because you don’t like Dallas teams. 

But then again he and the rest of you all that agree with him is still playing the race card when there is no need... Plus I have my own reasons for going for Yates (being that I was born and raised in Houston) so wherever I have your consent or not like I care about that I'm still rooting for Yates enough said

4 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

Same thing with Newton based on geography.  Beaumont is closer to Houston than Beaumont is to Newton.  I like how these small schools in the middle of no-where get claimed when they find some success b the larger metropolitan areas.  No, I am not being sarcastic.  Those schools/communities deserve the recognition.  This site does a great job of covering a very large area in multiple sports.

Agreed

4 hours ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

But then again he and the rest of you all that agree with him is still playing the race card when there is no need... Plus I have my own reasons for going for Yates (being that I was born and raised in Houston) so wherever I have your consent or not like I care about that I'm still rooting for Yates enough said

I was going to type a sarcastic response but I’ll just say “I understand “!!!!

15 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Yates has the best roster in the state, regardless of classification.  They should mow through the teams, even at State.  But I’m not close to convinced they will. 

Interesting.  That's my thinking.  Yates is good, and I"m not just talking about the bigs, it's the whole starting lineup and down the bench.

And yet,  the China Springs' second half success and the fact that Johnson for Wax Life was fairly effective have sort of given me pause.  It's not going to be a cakewalk.

I still think they will win, I hope they do anyway.  For the honor of Region 3?  It's silly but there it is, that prejudice against the Metroplex.  And there's "the team that beat the team that beat us" thing.  I still claim that French High was the second best 4A football team in Texas in 1975, better than Permian.  

I love to watch the 4A kids play.  Sort of the sweet spot in high school sports.

21 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Interesting.  That's my thinking.  Yates is good, and I"m not just talking about the bigs, it's the whole starting lineup and down the bench.

And yet,  the China Springs' second half success and the fact that Johnson for Wax Life was fairly effective have sort of given me pause.  It's not going to be a cakewalk.

I still think they will win, I hope they do anyway.  For the honor of Region 3?  It's silly but there it is, that prejudice against the Metroplex.  And there's "the team that beat the team that beat us" thing.  I still claim that French High was the second best 4A football team in Texas in 1975, better than Permian.  

I love to watch the 4A kids play.  Sort of the sweet spot in high school sports.

I still say with a good guard that can handle the press effectively for 80% of game and some bigs that can rebound that FFA will be a game because Yates didn’t shoot ball really well. Then you have Argyle that’s giving up only 32 points a game since district started and we all know how they had us and slowed down the game in 2017 so it will be interesting I believe. The reason I say this Yates get points off turnovers which most of the time is layups and a lot of second chance points which now they have teams that has size 

3 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

Agree 100%.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:34 AM, Kountzer said:

Organized sports is corrupt.  At the high school level, at the college level and definitely at the pro level.  It is being shaken too, along with a lot of other stuff.   Eventually it will fall.  

I am not even a prophet.  I read and keep up with that sort of stuff, from the Bible.