Hardin-Jefferson 54 Houston Yates 102/FINAL

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

After trying to insult people about their inability to understand, it’s kind of ironic how badly you’re understanding Steve’s question.  

And another one i see ,geesh you guys must run in bunches !!!

For clarification purposes and to settle any thought of multiple member accounts by one individual, I personally know Mamba. Have known him for years and speak with him at games regularly. He has posted on this one account since he has been a member.

Also, those that think a certain coach has created multiple accounts, well you are wrong.

Any other questions on the subject, please contact me by private message.

9 hours ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

I know what it means to most law abiding people. Oldschool, I thought you knew the game. You seem so wise on other discussions in the football threads.  Anyway, how does the UIL treat "homeless" students who are no longer living with the legal guardian but still need an education? And does the UIL have the resources to investigate every "legal guardianship" across every metropolitan area throughout the entire year across the state of Texas?  Or do they treat it like the false claims made on Pell Grant applications every year are treated by the federal govt? You know all these players are not on the up and up. But like Miss Benita said on In Living Color, I ain't one to gossip, so you didn't hear that from me. 😉

I understand what you're saying and hear you loud and clear.. there is no question in my mind that UIL does NOT investigate every "legal guardianship" across every city.  There is no question.  Are these kids with legal guardians or are they with their parents?  I have no doubt that UIL relies on not only the district executive committees in a lot of cases but also the information submitted on that PAP form.  Which has to be filled out for every varsity participant that plays in a different Texas public school from one year to another whether they change permanent address or not.  BUT.. I would like to think that even though UIL does not investigate every single case, a case in a school that is a perennial state championship contender with three 6'8 move ins.. I would hope they investigate that.  If that isn't cause for investigation then they might as well not investigate any of it.  In which case... leads me to believe that SURELY this has been looked into and found that no laws were broken.  Meaning that these kids actually did move into Yates' school district, with their legal guardians, had their PAP cleared by the DEC, and are now eligible to be playing varsity sports for Jack Yates High School.  To be honest I really don't know anything about these three kids that are even in this discussion.  Where are they from?  Where did they play last year? I mean.. what do you want?  If they presumably moved (changed address), with their parents, the PAP showed no red flags, if it was then actually investigated, and everything was shown to be legit,... I'm sorry but it's of my opinion that nothing else can be done.  

By the way.. it seems hypocritical to me that nobody is saying the exact same things about Hamshire.  Didn't they also have 3 move ins this year?  Last year their basketball team won 3 games... for the year.  This year they won 25 including a win over Silsbee and a win over HJ.  What.. it's different because it was competitive as opposed to a blowout?  It's different because they won't win a state championship?  It's different because the kids aren't 6'8?  So what.  When I was in college I played with/against several 6'10+ guys even a lot of 6'6-6'8 guards.  The best player I ever played with was 6'1 and the best player I ever saw on the floor was 6'3.  All irrelevant.  My point is that IF everything was done according to the guidlines that UIL has laid out (which I think is the best way to go about it) then I have no problem with it.  If not.. then proper punishment should be administered for cheating.  The only suggestion I have which is one I've mentioned previously.. if a kid plays at a different high school one year than they did the previous then they should sit out.  No matter the reason.  Unfortunately, that would impact MANY more students but so be it.

By the way.. I wholeheartedly disagree with ALL public school's take/definition of "homeless" students.  I don't know exactly but I'm pretty sure that students can be considered homeless for a whole host of reasons that don't necessarily mean that they don't actually have a home to live in.  I don't agree with that because funding is in play in regards to homelessness. 

This whole thing about kids having to sit out is bogus. Kids don’t move by themselves parents move. these coaches get to come and go as they please for a better opportunity then why can’t the kids . To hell with spending my 4 yrs In a mediocre program if I’m a high level talent . Especially if the athletics  aren’t up to par . I know a lot of you don’t like it and that’s cool with me but i hate it . Oldschool 2 of the 3 kids were cleared so obviously there was no wrongdoing the other one played jv. HF does have a better school system than BISD. What most don’t know is one of the kids needed that change you guys only see basketball I see the other side . You don’t grow up like WE so I wouldn’t expect you to understand. . 

2 hours ago, Mamba said:

This whole thing about kids having to sit out is bogus. Kids don’t move by themselves parents move. these coaches get to come and go as they please for a better opportunity then why can’t the kids . To hell with spending my 4 yrs In a mediocre program if I’m a high level talent . Especially if the athletics  aren’t up to par . I know a lot of you don’t like it and that’s cool with me but i hate it . Oldschool 2 of the 3 kids were cleared so obviously there was no wrongdoing the other one played jv. HF does have a better school system than BISD. What most don’t know is one of the kids needed that change you guys only see basketball I see the other side . You don’t grow up like WE so I wouldn’t expect you to understand. . 

If the educational opportunity is so important, why wait until soph or junior year in high school?  The superior education was there long before the new coach was.  If you are the realist that you suggest you are, please don't insult the intelligence of others on this board with the "improved education" excuse.  How one grows up has no relevance whatsoever to adhering to guidelines and the spirit of the guidelines.

5 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

So are you guys implying that HJ and Silsbee has NEVER accepted transfers into their programs? 

I think there's a limit on the number that come in.. or the height of the students.

Of course, I'm being sarcastic.  My point is that I'm suspecting a slight bit of hypocrisy. 

6 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

That depends. If your high school program is a perennial loser, AAU....If the opposite is concerned than its High School.

What are you considering a perennial loser?  Team A wins district 8 of 10 years but gets bounced from the playoffs 3rdround or sooner. Or Team B making it to regional final or state on a consistent basis. Or team C that sniffs playoffs every so often?

The legal guardian indicated that the two players, one is a junior and the other is a senior were home schooled and lived in the Yates School Zone for 2 Years.  The legal guardian have legal guardianship of those young men.  The guardian stated that the young men were taken in because they came from a trouble environment.  The two players did not play local summer ball in Houston.  The guardian stated that Coach Wise was not aware that the young men plans of enrolling at Yates until they enrolled at Yates.  HCYA is the home school the young men was enrolled in last year.  AGAIN the young men had been living in the Yates School Zone for 2 Years.  It's no one's business regarding where the young men came from before arriving to Houston.  The legal guardian had the necessary paperwork required by UIL.  Coach Wise reputation is on the line with the comments made by the head coach at HJ.    

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

If the educational opportunity is so important, why wait until soph or junior year in high school?  The superior education was there long before the new coach was.  If you are the realist that you suggest you are, please don't insult the intelligence of others on this board with the "improved education" excuse.  How one grows up has no relevance whatsoever to adhering to guidelines and the spirit of the guidelines.

You missed the entire point but then again i wouldn’t expect you to understand the burdens of others or what they go thru on a daily basis. Funny you should say that Because I highlighted the part  you spoke of , in speaking to a parent whose kid transferred  to HJ , it was clearly stated he was there for that improved education loll.... Now i wonder why did he wait until his junior year to do so hmmmm..or should. I speculate like you often do as a know it all ...Don’t insult my intelligence sir I know exactly how things work around here.

4 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

The legal guardian indicated that the two players, one is a junior and the other is a senior were home schooled and lived in the Yates School Zone for 2 Years.  The legal guardian have legal guardianship of those young men.  The guardian stated that the young men were taken in because they came from a trouble environment.  The two players did not play local summer ball in Houston.  The guardian stated that Coach Wise was not aware that the young men plans of enrolling at Yates until they enrolled at Yates.  HCYA is the home school the young men was enrolled in last year.  AGAIN the young men had been living in the Yates School Zone for 2 Years.  It's no one's business regarding where the young men came from before arriving to Houston.  The legal guardian had the necessary paperwork required by UIL.  Coach Wise reputation is on the line with the comments made by the head coach at HJ.    

Well.. all of that sounds legal to me.  It also seems like nobody was recruited and nobody moved anywhere for athletic purposes.  Assuming everything you stated is accurate it falls directly in the guidelines of UIL policy.  In which I agree with.  

7 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

If you know you know , is kinda how that works . We know the real the story it’s not for us to put it out there to make certain folks feel comfortable but then again you could have video tape and they’ll say it didn’t happen like that . But what do I know 

21 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

Attorney Benard Pink, who starred at Yates HS 82-84 and now the legal guardian of 2 big men at Yates HS.