Hardin-Jefferson 54 Houston Yates 102/FINAL

WOSgrad

39 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

There is a certain amount of ignorance apparent in this thread.  Many have no idea how the UIL guidelines are enforced.  This word.. “transfer”... keeps getting thrown around.  

Transfer refers to a student that DOES NOT LIVE in a school’s attendance zone.  In that case, they are not eligible for UIL competition for one calendar year from the day they enroll.  If these 6’8 kids MOVED into Yates’ attendance zone then they are legally eligible.  It is against the law to deny an education to any student that lives in your attendance zone.

THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS to every high school kid in the city or Houston.

Great point !!!Finally someone with some understanding ,can’t beat a dead horse and there are a lot of ppl on this forum that have no idea what their talking about 

32 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

There is a certain amount of ignorance apparent in this thread.  Many have no idea how the UIL guidelines are enforced.  This word.. “transfer”... keeps getting thrown around.  

Transfer refers to a student that DOES NOT LIVE in a school’s attendance zone.  In that case, they are not eligible for UIL competition for one calendar year from the day they enroll.  If these 6’8 kids MOVED into Yates’ attendance zone then they are legally eligible.  It is against the law to deny an education to any student that lives in your attendance zone.

THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS to every high school kid in the city or Houston.

One last point lol. The population for the zone of kids able to enroll at Yates and participate in UIL competition is probably at least 2 or 3 times the population for the district/ zones for these 4A schools in rural areas. The population in these towns is normally around 15 to 25 thousand. Being that Houston’s population has millions I’m guessing that the population within Yates zone/district is anywhere from 60 to 100 thousand. Seems like the best young b-ball players out that district/zone are probably gonna attend Yates even if they wait till their senior year to do so lol. Not to mention the fact that a kid that doesn’t stay in that zone/district can use a fake address. The UIL should take this into consideration and Yates should not be competing against schools that don’t have these privilages 

6 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

One last point lol. The population for the zone of kids able to enroll at Yates and participate in UIL competition is probably at least 2 or 3 times the population for the district/ zones for these 4A schools in rural areas. The population in these towns is normally around 15 to 25 thousand. Being that Houston’s population has millions I’m guessing that the population within Yates zone/district is anywhere from 60 to 100 thousand. Seems like the best young b-ball players out that district/zone are probably gonna attend Yates even if they wait till their senior year to do so lol. Not to mention the fact that a kid that doesn’t stay in that zone/district can use a fake address. The UIL should take this into consideration and Yates should not be competing against schools that don’t have these privilages 

This is the hidden content, please

12 hours ago, JY3rd said:

I get how things may "look" in regards to ALLEGED recruiting, but does anyone have 1st hand knowledge of how this went about?  Proof?  If not, then this is slander and some good ole talking out your @$$.   When Yates is down, there is no shortage of people ready to give a punch.  Now when they are up its allegations and lies.  Does any grown men on here believe that these kids, lets not forget they are kids, just wanted to play at that school.  Its the hottest basketball team in the city in any class.  If I play basketball, want to still be playing in March, like the system, dont you think Yates would be on your list?  If your child was playing would you not think about them attending to play for a well known coach and fast paced system?  Cant you see that as a possibility.  IF you were at a Charter school and shading dealings were going on or you dont know the deal with the coach.  Would you tell your child to stick it out? Or would you think about another program?  Possible right?  No matter what you say.  YATES is legendary to a lot of people in Houston.  A lot of kids for decades have wanted to attend Yates, not for grades or education per se but because of the energy and community following and because where its located.  So for us we are happy that its becoming the school of choice again.  A lot of families moved away from the inner city,  yes Yates is the inner city, and grew up in Pearland, Alvin, Manvel, Sugarland etc... A lot of these families would have been at any HISD school and who knows.  But now all those schools are 4A now... You all know how it works.  As many enemies as Yates have dont you think UIL would do something if it was happening?  Recruiting is Dallas, The stories are out.  Kids sleeping in the garage at your girlfriends house.  AD and Coach are brothers.  Thats recruiting.  Where is Yates stories?  Proof?  

I dont know what yall talking about.  Going to state is hard and yall are coming up with ways to make it easy.  Talk about what are you teaching your kids.  And also, no way to compare the 4th largest city in the nation to the golden triangle.  My solution, combine HJ and Silsbee and be Hardin-Silsbee-Stark.  Or get out of the UIL and just play for the Golden Triangle league championship.  Because playing for state seems to hard for yall when you lose.  

Let me say this about the HJ coach thing.  Its a basketball game, fans are going to be fans.  Nothing was said derogatory or racists.  Hell I dont even like them talking and Im sitting by them but I know what happens at a basketball game.   He was mad been mad and now he needed an outlet for his frustrations.  But his comment was more about recruiting than about his son... 

This sounds like an admission that the transfers are for athletic purposes— to play basketball.  As you say, it’s “not for grades or education”.   Isnt this really the question here?

2 hours ago, Setx fan said:

I don’t see the population there. Do you happen to know? 

No.. but the point is that the kids living inside that boundary HAVE to be provided an education by Houston Yates and ARE eligible for UIL competition.  Kids living outside of it ARE NOT able to just enroll in school at Houston Yates and start playing basketball.  Those are transfer students and are ineligible for UIL competition for one calendar year from their enrollment date.  The school does not have access to the whole city.  NO SCHOOL can stop or deny who lives in their attendance zone.  

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

No.. but the point is that the kids living inside that boundary HAVE to be provided an education by Houston Yates and ARE eligible for UIL competition.  Kids living outside of it ARE NOT able to just enroll in school at Houston Yates and start playing basketball.  Those are transfer students and are ineligible for UIL competition for one calendar year from their enrollment date.  The school does not have access to the whole city.  NO SCHOOL can stop or deny who lives in their attendance zone.  

Sounds like your saying there are no other options for schooling in that area other than Yates. If so how do all the other kids living in that area get around attending Yates? Because I know it’s more than 8 or 900 living in the area. Also what schools did these 5 mysterious “move ins”(or whatever you wanna call em) play at last year? And are you suggesting that all 5 6’8 seniors “moved in” the same year by coincidence and this wasn’t orchestrated somehow? 

Sounds like your saying there are no other options for schooling in that area other than Yates. If so how do all the other kids living in that area get around attending Yates? Because I know it’s more than 8 or 900 living in the area. Also what schools did these 5 mysterious “move ins”(or whatever you wanna call em) play at last year? And are you suggesting that all 5 6’8 seniors “moved in” the same year by coincidence and this wasn’t orchestrated somehow? 

I most certainly did not say there were no other options in that area.. what I said was that any high school student living within the boundaries of Yates’ attendance zone HAS to be provided an education by Jack Yates high school.  And.. any student living there is legally eligible to play varsity athletics for Yates high school.  There is nothing anyone can do about it.  Just like any student living within the Hardin Jefferson attendance zone.  The students living outside of the Yates attendance zone still live in a school’s attendance zone.. there aren’t any empty spaces.

Yes.. it’s highly suspect that these kids happen to have moved into this attendance zone.  One can speculate that their coach is recruiting or maybe the school itself is recruiting via namesake.  Unfortunately, not UIL, you, nor anyone else can control where the legal guardian of a high school student decides to live.

If I was from out of state and got a job at one of the refineries in SeTx, do you think where I decided to live would reflect where I’d rather my kids go to school?

Pointless. There’s no useful information here 

Other than it showing where ANY student could live (with their legal guardian as a permanent address) and be legally eligible to play basketball for Yates high school.

Yeah.. how would that be useful?

17 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I most certainly did not say there were no other options in that area.. what I said was that any high school student living within the boundaries of Yates’ attendance zone HAS to be provided an education by Jack Yates high school.  And.. any student living there is legally eligible to play varsity athletics for Yates high school.  There is nothing anyone can do about it.  Just like any student living within the Hardin Jefferson attendance zone.  The students living outside of the Yates attendance zone still live in a school’s attendance zone.. there aren’t any empty spaces.

Yes.. it’s highly suspect that these kids happen to have moved into this attendance zone.  One can speculate that their coach is recruiting or maybe the school itself is recruiting via namesake.  Unfortunately, not UIL, you, nor anyone else can control where the legal guardian of a high school student decides to live.

If I was from out of state and got a job at one of the refineries in SeTx, do you think where I decided to live would reflect where I’d rather my kids go to school?

We should probably better define what "living" means. Does that mean that the kid has an "Uncle" that is now raising him starting between his Junior and senior year in high school?

53 minutes ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

We should probably better define what "living" means. Does that mean that the kid has an "Uncle" that is now raising him starting between his Junior and senior year in high school?

It means that their LEGAL GUARDIAN has a permanent address (receive mail/bills, sleep most nights).  Easily proven or disproven.

It’s ignorant to just think a kid can move in with a friend/cousin and start playing varsity athletics.  Also.. signing over legal guardianship is only accomplished through the court system.

Sheesh.. I’ll admit that the UIL does plenty wrong but doing what’s implied in this thread is not just some easy “look the other way” type thing.

Some of you just have bad understanding, coaches do not recruit players , players recruit players , parents recruit players . Summer ball is a direct reflection of why kids leave the school there at and decide to play with their FRIENDS for their last year or two. It was taboo at first but now it’s common. You guys are mad because 2 or 3—6’8 kids decide to attend one school, well guess what if those same kids decided to go the school you cheer for I guarantee the coach nor the fans would object to those kids attending their school. So stop with the crying about how unfair it is. Some these kids in SETX change schools religiously for the same reasons I mentioned earlier. But guess what they aren’t high caliber players like that and so you guys think it’s ok because he’s just 6’2 so its no advantage but it is because it’s helping the program win games. I got a 7footer right looking for a school lets see how many coaches turn him down because they got such high morals lol...

4 minutes ago, Mamba said:

Some of you just have bad understanding, coaches do not recruit players , players recruit players , parents recruit players . Summer ball is a direct reflection of why kids leave the school there at and decide to play with their FRIENDS for their last year or two. It was taboo at first but now it’s common. You guys are mad because 2 or 3—6’8 kids decide to attend one school, well guess what if those same kids decided to go the school you cheer for I guarantee the coach nor the fans would object to those kids attending their school. So stop with the crying about how unfair it is. Some these kids in SETX change schools religiously for the same reasons I mentioned earlier. But guess what they aren’t high caliber players like that and so you guys think it’s ok because he’s just 6’2 so its no advantage but it is because it’s helping the program win games. I got a 7footer right looking for a school lets see how many coaches turn him down because they got such high morals lol...

I hear what you are saying but the fact still stands. It is against UIL policy to transfer for athletic reasons. If kids are recruiting kids, and they move because they want to play with their friends, then that is the basis of transferring for athletic purposes. That is what is being discussed. At least from my end.

39 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I hear what you are saying but the fact still stands. It is against UIL policy to transfer for athletic reasons. If kids are recruiting kids, and they move because they want to play with their friends, then that is the basis of transferring for athletic purposes. That is what is being discussed. At least from my end.

I understand that AAW but if the UIL finds that they didn’t move for athletic purposes then why is everybody mad at Yates . UIL can say yes or no , the gripe is with UIL quit saying they are cheating if they get cleared. Like I said name me one coach who turns those kids away if their movng into their district?

Just because they got away with it does not mean it wasn't an athletic move.  Earlier you talk about HJ needing to stop whining, get it in the gym, and get better.  Advocating the addition of players via transfer doesn't support that statement.  Which is it?  Work hard and get better or change your personnel through "players recruiting players?"

12 minutes ago, Mamba said:

I understand that AAW but if the UIL finds that they didn’t move for athletic purposes then why is everybody mad at Yates . UIL can say yes or no , the gripe is with UIL quit saying they are cheating if they get cleared. Like I said name me one coach who turns those kids away if their movng into their district?

would Fannett made the playoffs with no move ins?? 

4 hours ago, Mamba said:

You are wasting your time on this thread, No one was complaining about the Yates Players or the transfer portal when Silsbee beat Yates 2 years in a row. This is my personal opinion.