Hardin-Jefferson 54 Houston Yates 102/FINAL

WOSgrad

13 hours ago, whsalum said:

I think the political “choice of schools “ is directed at giving kids a better education. But hey I’m sure all the transfers to Yates had educational opportunities #1 on their list.

No it’s directed at parents putting their kids in a school of their choice, for whatever criteria they choose.  The very rhetoric behind it is parents making decisions on their kids’ educations, not others.  

25 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

No it’s directed at parents putting their kids in a school of their choice, for whatever criteria they choose.  The very rhetoric behind it is parents making decisions on their kids’ educations, not others.  

The key word in your statement is “ education “. The political powers in this country could care less about where someone wants to play basketball. 

45 minutes ago, AxeEm said:

Aktar went to Legacy.   Grew up in BC.   Played AAU with the team that practices at HJ.   Just saying HJ benefits from move-ins on a regular basis.   Yates just has a much better pool to select from.  Sour grapes.  

I was thinking of Ogle in my post. Aktar is a sophomore and I’m almost certain he played on the HJ Freshman team last year. How old does one have to be to become grown up? 

I get how things may "look" in regards to ALLEGED recruiting, but does anyone have 1st hand knowledge of how this went about?  Proof?  If not, then this is slander and some good ole talking out your @$$.   When Yates is down, there is no shortage of people ready to give a punch.  Now when they are up its allegations and lies.  Does any grown men on here believe that these kids, lets not forget they are kids, just wanted to play at that school.  Its the hottest basketball team in the city in any class.  If I play basketball, want to still be playing in March, like the system, dont you think Yates would be on your list?  If your child was playing would you not think about them attending to play for a well known coach and fast paced system?  Cant you see that as a possibility.  IF you were at a Charter school and shading dealings were going on or you dont know the deal with the coach.  Would you tell your child to stick it out? Or would you think about another program?  Possible right?  No matter what you say.  YATES is legendary to a lot of people in Houston.  A lot of kids for decades have wanted to attend Yates, not for grades or education per se but because of the energy and community following and because where its located.  So for us we are happy that its becoming the school of choice again.  A lot of families moved away from the inner city,  yes Yates is the inner city, and grew up in Pearland, Alvin, Manvel, Sugarland etc... A lot of these families would have been at any HISD school and who knows.  But now all those schools are 4A now... You all know how it works.  As many enemies as Yates have dont you think UIL would do something if it was happening?  Recruiting is Dallas, The stories are out.  Kids sleeping in the garage at your girlfriends house.  AD and Coach are brothers.  Thats recruiting.  Where is Yates stories?  Proof?  

I dont know what yall talking about.  Going to state is hard and yall are coming up with ways to make it easy.  Talk about what are you teaching your kids.  And also, no way to compare the 4th largest city in the nation to the golden triangle.  My solution, combine HJ and Silsbee and be Hardin-Silsbee-Stark.  Or get out of the UIL and just play for the Golden Triangle league championship.  Because playing for state seems to hard for yall when you lose.  

Let me say this about the HJ coach thing.  Its a basketball game, fans are going to be fans.  Nothing was said derogatory or racists.  Hell I dont even like them talking and Im sitting by them but I know what happens at a basketball game.   He was mad been mad and now he needed an outlet for his frustrations.  But his comment was more about recruiting than about his son... 

3 hours ago, whsalum said:

The key word in your statement is “ education “. The political powers in this country could care less about where someone wants to play basketball. 

The key word is parents.  They could care less about education either.  They care about votes. 

9 hours ago, Setx fan said:

If that’s the case then so be it. But I think the UIL needs to pay close attention to make sure there is no foul play. 4 6’8 transfers all senior in one year? Goodness!   

They looked and paid close attention.  That's not good enough I guess.  So it seems the issue is with UIL not enforcing something not Yates.  Might be easier to prove UIL favors YATES.  Please show me that.  

19 hours ago, Mamba said:

What are we teaching kids that the playing field should always be level or do we tell our kids that they need to get better in order to compete . That they need to put In the work ,get in the gym and work on your game . They don’t hand out participation trophies which is what some of you are looking for. GET IN THE GYM AND GET BETTER !!!! PERIOD!!!!! And coaches get better watch tons of film see how you can play multiple styles the game is evolving if you don’t evolve with you’ll get left behind. 

When you find the secret to growing 8 inches by spending more time in the gym let us know. That’s the only way small school high school teams are going to be able to compete with these big city junior college squads.

18 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

On the bright side, Yates is a senior heavy team this year. 

We'll see what they look like next year.

They were at least beatable these past few seasons up until this one.

Probably be a senior heavy team next year, too. And the year after that.  And the... you get my point.

18 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

How about this.. unless moving in as a junior high student, ALL TRANSFERS sit one calendar year.  No matter the reason.  If it's because of education (which is apparently the case), then sitting a year in varsity sports won't have any affect on the schooling.

It's broken.  But nobody is offering a better solution.  You can't just punish one school.  What is a fair solution that will be a rule across the board?

Another solution would be classifying schools based on their player pools, not their school enrollment.  So in instances like this, where a district is clearly allowing students to transfer schools for athletic purposes, or allows kids to choose any school in the district regardless of their residency, have them play in 6A since they’re forming teams from thousands of kids (or tens of thousands), not the 700 or 800 zoned for their school.  

5 hours ago, JY3rd said:

I get how things may "look" in regards to ALLEGED recruiting, but does anyone have 1st hand knowledge of how this went about?  Proof?  If not, then this is slander and some good ole talking out your @$$.   When Yates is down, there is no shortage of people ready to give a punch.  Now when they are up its allegations and lies.  Does any grown men on here believe that these kids, lets not forget they are kids, just wanted to play at that school.  Its the hottest basketball team in the city in any class.  If I play basketball, want to still be playing in March, like the system, dont you think Yates would be on your list?  If your child was playing would you not think about them attending to play for a well known coach and fast paced system?  Cant you see that as a possibility.  IF you were at a Charter school and shading dealings were going on or you dont know the deal with the coach.  Would you tell your child to stick it out? Or would you think about another program?  Possible right?  No matter what you say.  YATES is legendary to a lot of people in Houston.  A lot of kids for decades have wanted to attend Yates, not for grades or education per se but because of the energy and community following and because where its located.  So for us we are happy that its becoming the school of choice again.  A lot of families moved away from the inner city,  yes Yates is the inner city, and grew up in Pearland, Alvin, Manvel, Sugarland etc... A lot of these families would have been at any HISD school and who knows.  But now all those schools are 4A now... You all know how it works.  As many enemies as Yates have dont you think UIL would do something if it was happening?  Recruiting is Dallas, The stories are out.  Kids sleeping in the garage at your girlfriends house.  AD and Coach are brothers.  Thats recruiting.  Where is Yates stories?  Proof?  

I dont know what yall talking about.  Going to state is hard and yall are coming up with ways to make it easy.  Talk about what are you teaching your kids.  And also, no way to compare the 4th largest city in the nation to the golden triangle.  My solution, combine HJ and Silsbee and be Hardin-Silsbee-Stark.  Or get out of the UIL and just play for the Golden Triangle league championship.  Because playing for state seems to hard for yall when you lose.  

Let me say this about the HJ coach thing.  Its a basketball game, fans are going to be fans.  Nothing was said derogatory or racists.  Hell I dont even like them talking and Im sitting by them but I know what happens at a basketball game.   He was mad been mad and now he needed an outlet for his frustrations.  But his comment was more about recruiting than about his son... 

Maybe Yates can just go up to 5A or 6A where they belong???

Jack Yates is legendary school. If you want to know a little background it is the home of Phylicia Allen Rashad (Clair Huxtable on the Cosby Show) and her sister Debbie Allen the show (Fame) and producer of the (A Different World).  Yates fans have to understand that your at a advantage every year. Yates is in a city with 3 pro sports teams. Your playing towns with a Brookshire Brothers grocery and Dairy Queen. 

7 hours ago, JY3rd said:

Minor surgery: When it’s on someone else. 
Major surgery:  When it’s on you. 

One last comment and I’m done with this topic. Yates is a school with rich tradition that has always been a basketball dynasty. This I know. They would probably still be a good team even without the transfers but idk if they would still be state contenders. Maybe so. But I don’t think anyone in their right mind would truly believe 5 6’8 seniors decided to transfer to Yates the same year by coincidence. Those type of things just don’t normally happen. But even if that is the case I still don’t think it’s fair for rural area 4A schools to have to compete against schools like Yates. Yea they might only have 8 or 900 kids at their school currently but you never know what type of athletes or how many athletes are gonna pop up at the school the next year by “coincidence”. If that’s the case and the UIL is going to continue to let that happen they should take that into consideration when classifying them. You can’t classify them as 4A because of their enrollment when there’s at least another 5 or 10 thousand kids living within the school district but not currently enrolled at Yates of whom the best athletes in that group might just decide to transfer to Yates. That’s just not fair. Yates player pool is just way too big regardless of their school enrollment 

6 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Another solution would be classifying schools based on their player pools, not their school enrollment.  So in instances like this, where a district is clearly allowing students to transfer schools for athletic purposes, or allows kids to choose any school in the district regardless of their residency, have them play in 6A since they’re forming teams from thousands of kids (or tens of thousands), not the 700 or 800 zoned for their school.  

They..do..not..have player pools of the entire city.  They have an attendance zone/district just like every other public school in the state.  Any student living outside of that zone is a transfer student and not eligible to play for one calendar year.  Yes, they are a magnet school which means they offer a specialized curricula.  Any school can do that.  Yes, they accept transfers (open enrollment).. Everyone does.  Even HJ!

I’m not understanding what the problem is in understanding that.  Just because the school is in Houston does not mean any kid in Houston can commute to Yates from anywhere in the city and suit up.  Jack Yates doesn’t send buses all over Houston.

There is a certain amount of ignorance apparent in this thread.  Many have no idea how the UIL guidelines are enforced.  This word.. “transfer”... keeps getting thrown around.  

Transfer refers to a student that DOES NOT LIVE in a school’s attendance zone.  In that case, they are not eligible for UIL competition for one calendar year from the day they enroll.  If these 6’8 kids MOVED into Yates’ attendance zone then they are legally eligible.  It is against the law to deny an education to any student that lives in your attendance zone.

THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS to every high school kid in the city or Houston.