Hardin-Jefferson 54 Houston Yates 102/FINAL

WOSgrad

3 hours ago, Magic Johnson said:

H.J best player transferred from BU...Clay full of himself...He is running an AAU program at his high school that funnels player to H.J...Nobody and I mean nobody should feel sorry for Clay...When you got the UIL in your back pocket there is no need to worry about anything...

Regardless of how you rate the players at HJ this statement isn’t true. I don’t think there’s but one player on HJ’s current roster who has attended school in Beaumont and I don’t think he played basketball at all last year. The rest of the kids have been in the HJ program throughout their high school career. I do know there have been a few kids that have left HJ and transferred in to Beaumont. As far as the UIL giving HJ preferential treatment that’s a stretch. The director also has ties to BISD do you think think he favors them as well ? The kids that were on the floor for HJ last night came up through the Freshman and JV clubs at HJ. They are young and will be very good again next year. I commend them for a successful season. 

4 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Regardless of how you rate the players at HJ this statement isn’t true. I don’t think there’s but one player on HJ’s current roster who has attended school in Beaumont and I don’t think he played basketball at all last year. The rest of the kids have been in the HJ program throughout their high school career. I do know there have been a few kids that have left HJ and transferred in to Beaumont. As far as the UIL giving HJ preferential treatment that’s a stretch. The director also has ties to BISD do you think think he favors them as well ? The kids that were on the floor for HJ last night came up through the Freshman and JV clubs at HJ. They are young and will be very good again next year. I commend them for a successful season. 

HJ has one player out of 15 varsity players and another 20 sub varsity players who has not been with the program AT LEAST since their freshman years.  Just wondering, Magic Johnson, can you say the same about the school with whom  you affiliate yourself?

21 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

I think Silsbee might be starting up a world class cooking school next year.

Don't be surprised if most of those kids who attend just happen to be about 7 feet tall and good at basketball. I can assure everyone it'll just be a coincidence. We all believe in coincidences, don't we?

🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

If its uneven and unfair for everyone, then it is actually even and fair, right?

Absolutely not ... don’t know what ur trying to reach for but to set the record straight I’m black  and yes it’s harder for us but do I complain about it. No I don’t ... Off subject .. let’s return to the topic 

1 minute ago, bayou city 713 said:

Absolutely not ... don’t know what ur trying to reach for but to set the record straight I’m black  and yes it’s harder for us but do I complain about it. No I don’t ... Off subject .. let’s return to the topic 

You are right, that is off topic. 

7 minutes ago, bayou city 713 said:

Harder in what way? It's not harder to get accepted into college, get financial assistance, gain meaningful employment and even become president of the greatest and most powerful country on Earth. It's harder to get fired from a job, I'll give you that one. You can't call Davis a crybaby for pointing out undisputed flaws in a system and that Yates takes advantage of those flaws to create an unfair advantage and then cry about fairness in society that is easily disputable. 

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

So the coach was "pretty much entertained by that"?  In what way was he " pretty much entertained"? It was the kids 5th foul and the last game of his career so there was no need to jerk him off the court.  The coach has a full minute to determine the substitute and the player is to remain on the floor until his substitute has been selected.  He was the coaches son who, at a young age nearly lost his life and it has been a very long journey for the father/son.  Hence the embrace which was belittled and mocked by some folks directly behind the HJ bench and the coach took issue with it.  I'm sure you would have handled it differently, right?

Entertained meaning he did nothing ..he Simply smiled and said something in his teams defense to the ref ... and him almost dying Does not give Him a pass to be disrespectful towards the officials ...did he even go shake wises hand after he fouled out ?  IMO as far as the crowd the coach should not be screaming back and forth with anyone in the crowd.. in this situation the coach is the professional.. not classy by the crowd or the coach  ... then the interview afterwards ... low class 

23 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

HJ Head Coach have a discussion with the Yates Fans begins his bench, Tech on HJ

The " discussion" to which you refer involved some Yates fans mocking the coach embracing  his senior son who fouled out of his last game.  Very long journey for young man whose life was in doubt when he was born.

13 minutes ago, bayou city 713 said:

Entertained meaning he did nothing ..he Simply smiled and said something in his teams defense to the ref ... and him almost dying Does not give Him a pass to be disrespectful towards the officials ...did he even go shake wises hand after he fouled out ?  IMO as far as the crowd the coach should not be screaming back and forth with anyone in the crowd.. in this situation the coach is the professional.. not classy by the crowd or the coach  ... then the interview afterwards ... low class 

Funny thing about your perception of disrespect.  Especially since the kid has never been close to a technical in any high school game he ever played.    Another poster on this board, who I do not know, stated that the tech was unnecessary.   I was speaking with an official within the athletic dept of HISD after the game and his response was " some refs develop extremely sensitive ears" in games.  I was quite close to the player/ref when the tech was called and I have no recollection of any overt action by the player.  But, of course, I am an HJ fan and may not have seen something that happened.  Just an FYI- the ref who called the technical was the same ref who called the technical on the HJ coach earlier  and was the same ref  having extended conversations with Mr. Wise before the game.  I noticed that if the Yates girls and the HJ girls win their semi-s tonight, they will play tomorrow.   

29 minutes ago, stevenash said:

HJ has one player out of 15 varsity players and another 20 sub varsity players who has not been with the program AT LEAST since their freshman years.  Just wondering, Magic Johnson, can you say the same about the school with whom  you affiliate yourself?

So basically if you only kill 1 person (1 transfer basketball player) that don't make you a murderer (HJ)...Compared to killing 4(Yates)...No matter how you look at it's still murder...

Just now, Magic Johnson said:

So basically if you only kill 1 person (1 transfer basketball player) that don't make you a murderer (HJ)...Compared to killing 4(Yates)...No matter how you look at it's still murder...

please name the school who has a good basketball program with less than one "murderer"  Your contention of "aau pipeline" is totally disproven with these numbers.

47 minutes ago, whsalum said:

He not the only one.  Aktar kid not originally from Sour Lake either.  

2 minutes ago, AxeEm said:

He began his career as a freshman at HJ and will likely finish it there by being in the program four consecutive years.   Still very interested for you and/or Magic Johnson to tell me what local basketball schools can say the same.

22 minutes ago, Magic Johnson said:

1 transfer isn’t murder. However 1 recruit is murder. Multiple recruits is like being a serial killer with no regard for human life. People are always going to find loop holes to get away with murder but when it becomes too easy to get away with murder people will become unconscious and it’s like there’s no law. If there’s no law you may now have a purge. UIL needs to get a hold on this before it gets out of hand. I don’t want to see high school sports go all the way in that direction 

43 minutes ago, AxeEm said:

If memory serves me correct, and I’m pretty sure it does, the Aktar kid is a junior who sat out all of last year with an injury ( while going to school at HJ ). I think you’re looking for something that isn’t there. Like I said earlier I think the only player on the HJ squad that has ever went to high school in Beaumont is a junior and did not play play basketball anywhere last year. 

13 hours ago, Mamba said:

What are we teaching kids that the playing field should always be level or do we tell our kids that they need to get better in order to compete . That they need to put In the work ,get in the gym and work on your game . They don’t hand out participation trophies which is what some of you are looking for. GET IN THE GYM AND GET BETTER !!!! PERIOD!!!!! And coaches get better watch tons of film see how you can play multiple styles the game is evolving if you don’t evolve with you’ll get left behind. 

Just one more observation concerning the “participation trophies” comment. I don’t know how many times you may have been in the HJ gym but they don’t hang participation trophies or banners for going to bi district or area or even regional quarter final game. The rafters are full at HJ but they are regional and state banners. This years team was young, they will get in the gym and they will most definitely be better.