Silsbee 76 Hardin-Jefferson 71/FINAL

WOSgrad

3 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

That tech on HJ doesn't seem like a big deal with how the 3rd quarter played out for the Hawks.

Missing free throws when the game was tight mattered more. One of their players (think is was Sears) missed two big free throws with a little under a minute and a half left.

It seems like a HUGE deal to me.   If the HJ player keeps his mouth shut, Silsbee does not get the equivalent of three extra possessions to which  HJ did not get to respond.   Possession 1 equivalent is two made free throws    Possession 2 equivalent is another two made free throw   Possession three equivalent is the out of bounds after the free throws that produced a three pointer.  From my perspective, three extra possessions producing 7 points is a very big deal.  The difference is HJ lost a possession they had earned by being fouled and giving up three free possessions for the technical.

2 minutes ago, stevenash said:

It seems like a HUGE deal to me.   If the HJ player keeps his mouth shut, Silsbee does not get the equivalent of three extra possessions to which  HJ did not get to respond.   Possession 1 equivalent is two made free throws    Possession 2 equivalent is another two made free throw   Possession three equivalent is the out of bounds after the free throws that produced a three pointer.  From my perspective, three extra possessions producing 7 points is a very big deal.  The difference is HJ lost a possession they had earned by being fouled and giving up three free possessions for the technical.

I agree. It was huge!

Still say Bush going 20/20 FT was what won the game.

8 minutes ago, Who That said:

How many other players you know that has done that AAW ... 20/20

Nobody off the top of my head.

McCain went 15/16 from FT in state championship win over Dallas Carter. Thought that was pretty impressive.

Brae went 9/10 in that game as well.

Silsbee went 30-34 from line in that game.

27 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Was definitely huge at the time. Not following the part about Hj losing a possession they earned though.  Wasn’t Brae the one fouled and then the tech foloiwing that for slapping the ball back at Braelon.  

10 minutes ago, Mohead2000 said:

HISD has open enrollment, which means any student can go to any school in the district from elementary to high school. As long as the school has room for them. And Yates has plenty of room since about 1000 or more kids leave the zone everyday to attend other high schools. That policy has been around since the late 90's long before Yates Basketball came on the scene. The UIL is very aware of the policy. Like Sportsjunkie32 said HISD is not doing Yates any favors. If all of kids that lived in Yates zone went to Yates, then Yates would be at least 5A, but probably a 6A school. And when Yates was a 5A school, they still went to the 5A region 3 tournament two years in a row.

Which is why small schools in rural areas shouldn’t have to compete against “small schools” in big cities. Yates can handpick out of all the kids in Houston basically while they compete against schools that don’t have that privilege 

2 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Was definitely huge at the time. Not following the part about Hj losing a possession they earned though.  Wasn’t Brae the one fouled and then the tech foloiwing that for slapping the ball back at Braelon.  

Yes sir but if not for the technical the possession would have gone back to HJ after the first two foul shots. Silsbee shot the foul first, then the technical and then got possession of the ball because of the technical. 

6 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Yes sir but if not for the technical the possession would have gone back to HJ after the first two foul shots. Silsbee shot the foul first, then the technical and then got possession of the ball because of the technical. 

I understand that and maybe that’s what he was getting out it was just I wasn’t understanding the way he said it that “.  The difference is HJ lost a possession they had earned by being fouled “.

38 minutes ago, ST413 said:

I understand that and maybe that’s what he was getting out it was just I wasn’t understanding the way he said it that “.  The difference is HJ lost a possession they had earned by being fouled “.

I think Steve Nash and I are saying the exact same thing in a little different terminology. 20/20 from the line is as impressive as I’ve seen at any level. I hate to reduce a game like this to one or two things but the 7 point swing and the momentum it stemmed was critical. Missed FT’s by the Hawks was also critical. 

14 hours ago, ST413 said:

You may be right....tonight basicall felt like three different games...the first half was kind of like i felt things should have been after that first game,  after it i felt like some smarter choices by the Tigers would have led to an 8-10 pt win....the third quarter was more like that second game where we could just not get any scoring, except from Brae, that one i felt like we could have lost by 8 or 10 except for Bush’s herculean effort.  Then we went back to a different Tiger group for that last quarter and ot.

Great to be a Tiger tonight and end this session of the two being In the same district as the #1 seed with 2 wins out of the 3 games.  Another instant classic.  Big difference tonight for me was more scoring help and a lot better defense.  Naturally HJ having a starter playing injured was a help.  Cant blame him for wanting to get out there but it sure looked like he was a little more of a liability tonight than an asset.  He just couldnt get much out of that ankle.  After looking at the stats one impression i had wasnt as bad as i thought.  It felt like the Tigers lost a good chance to put the game away with a few more made ft’s in regulation but other than Brae there werent as many shot as it seemed like.  Just at the time when you remember them the most.  

The biggest difference fir the Tigers tonight was our defense and especially the defense and time played by the two freshmen, Harper and Williams.  Both did a real good job.  I especially liked the way Williams banged and played down low.

Congratulations Tigers and keep rolling!

The starter that was injured last night was different from the one that has been injured.