Silsbee 76 Hardin-Jefferson 71/FINAL

WOSgrad

Can I just say how entertaining this district was this year, top to bottom?  It was about as competitive as you can get.  And congrats to both of these teams, and especially the Silsbee Tigers.  This one was hard fought and earned.  And forget what fans say about what round you may or may be done in.  I see 4 teams going to the playoffs from this district who can play with just about anybody.  One game, one possession at a time...

Just about anybody, but not Yates.  

Nobody in 4A can play with Yates. Yates could win the 5A championship and would have a good shot of winning Region 3 in 6A.  

It’s time that these conglomeration schools to be forced to play at the 5A level.  And if they want to keep the school small?  Fine, keep it small.  But you’re not going to be permitted to ruin 4A and below.  

There’s zero chance of an upset.  If any team in this Region beats Yates it would make the 1980 Miracle On Ice look like an easily predicted outcome.

Ned and Memorial flipped a coin.  Apparently Godzilla doesn’t reside in Region 3 5A.  If he did there wouldn’t have been any coin flipping.

Every post season game is played to extend your season but this one has a weird kind of vibe.

Score by quarters

1                   2                     3                    4               OT            Tot

Silsbee                19                  22                    7                   17              11             76

HJ                        15                 18                    21                  11                6              71

FT %

SIL              23/29     79%

HJ                7/18      39%

3 Point %

SIL              9/34          26%

HJ              9/28           32%

Rebounds

SIL               44

HJ                37

Turnovers

SIL               17

HJ               25

Fouls

SIL                  15

HJ                  18

Individual scoring

Silsbee

Bray Bush                 41 (3/14 three's, 20/20 FT)

Chris Martin             20 (13 rebounds)

Shan Gilder                8 (all in 1st Q)

K'Drian Cartwright     4

Jordan Edwards        3

Hardin-Jefferson

Baxter Wirth             22 (5/10 three's)

Austin Samaha        15 (11 rebounds)

Jaysten Davis          12 (4/9 three's)

RJ Sears                   11

Trevon White            8

Michael McIntosh    2

Jaiden Porter            1

3 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Nobody in 4A can play with Yates. Yates could win the 5A championship and would have a good shot of winning Region 3 in 6A.  

It’s time that these conglomeration schools to be forced to play at the 5A level.  And if they want to keep the school small?  Fine, keep it small.  But you’re not going to be permitted to ruin 4A and below.  

There’s zero chance of an upset.  If any team in this Region beats Yates it would make the 1980 Miracle On Ice look like an easily predicted outcome.

Ned and Memorial flipped a coin.  Apparently Godzilla doesn’t reside in Region 3 5A.  If he did there wouldn’t have been any coin flipping.

Every post season game is played to extend your season but this one has a weird kind of vibe.

They did not flip. Ned conceded the #1 seed to Memorial

3 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

I believe Ned conceded to us, no coin flip chief.

And yeah: Region 3 5A is pretty loaded. 

3 hours ago, bullets13 said:

I think these teams could play ten games and there’s a good chance they’d each win 5

You may be right....tonight basicall felt like three different games...the first half was kind of like i felt things should have been after that first game,  after it i felt like some smarter choices by the Tigers would have led to an 8-10 pt win....the third quarter was more like that second game where we could just not get any scoring, except from Brae, that one i felt like we could have lost by 8 or 10 except for Bush’s herculean effort.  Then we went back to a different Tiger group for that last quarter and ot.

Great to be a Tiger tonight and end this session of the two being In the same district as the #1 seed with 2 wins out of the 3 games.  Another instant classic.  Big difference tonight for me was more scoring help and a lot better defense.  Naturally HJ having a starter playing injured was a help.  Cant blame him for wanting to get out there but it sure looked like he was a little more of a liability tonight than an asset.  He just couldnt get much out of that ankle.  After looking at the stats one impression i had wasnt as bad as i thought.  It felt like the Tigers lost a good chance to put the game away with a few more made ft’s in regulation but other than Brae there werent as many shot as it seemed like.  Just at the time when you remember them the most.  

The biggest difference fir the Tigers tonight was our defense and especially the defense and time played by the two freshmen, Harper and Williams.  Both did a real good job.  I especially liked the way Williams banged and played down low.

Congratulations Tigers and keep rolling!

26 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

You get my point.  There wouldn’t have been any conceding if one bracket yielded a reasonable shot at making it to the the Region Tourney and the other led to oblivion.  And I believe that Yates could win Region 3 5A. 

I understand Yates could win region 3 5a. I have not seen them play his year, but I did last year. Would you say that Nederland or PA neither had a chance to upset them tho? Silsbee and HJ both faired pretty well against both schools in pre season. I know that it would be an upset for them to beat Yates, but I wouldn’t say it CAN’T happen. JMO

PA might could give Yates a game. They've got their own big kids to try and counter Yates, and they did beat a top 6A team this year. Not sure what to make of Nederland.

Silsbee actually got slaughtered by PA, but that was to be expected given the circumstance. They did beat Ned.

Really like to see Harper develop a better shot this off season. The fact that him and Williams gets to play in such an important game speaks volumes of where they're at right now and they're only freshman.

I like Cartwright coming off the bench. It just seems to work better.

I just hope we've seen the last of bad Silsbee. Tigers could lose to almost anyone if they make a come back for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, ST413 said:

You may be right....tonight basicall felt like three different games...the first half was kind of like i felt things should have been after that first game,  after it i felt like some smarter choices by the Tigers would have led to an 8-10 pt win....the third quarter was more like that second game where we could just not get any scoring, except from Brae, that one i felt like we could have lost by 8 or 10 except for Bush’s herculean effort.  Then we went back to a different Tiger group for that last quarter and ot.

Great to be a Tiger tonight and end this session of the two being In the same district as the #1 seed with 2 wins out of the 3 games.  Another instant classic.  Big difference tonight for me was more scoring help and a lot better defense.  Naturally HJ having a starter playing injured was a help.  Cant blame him for wanting to get out there but it sure looked like he was a little more of a liability tonight than an asset.  He just couldnt get much out of that ankle.  After looking at the stats one impression i had wasnt as bad as i thought.  It felt like the Tigers lost a good chance to put the game away with a few more made ft’s in regulation but other than Brae there werent as many shot as it seemed like.  Just at the time when you remember them the most.  

The biggest difference fir the Tigers tonight was our defense and especially the defense and time played by the two freshmen, Harper and Williams.  Both did a real good job.  I especially liked the way Williams banged and played down low.

Congratulations Tigers and keep rolling!

With a minute left in the first half HJ was winning; if it wasn't for a technical (that got Bush going after a slow two quarters from his standards) this is a 2-3 point ball game at half going either way. The third quarter HJ hit a few threes and didn't get killed on the glass (which has been the big advantage Silsbee has held over HJ this year). Then in the fourth quarter HJ had 5 of the worst possessions in a row I think that group of players have had all season that gave Silsbee the roadmap for getting back into the game. 

HJ is going to look back at few moments in this game that absolutely killed them, but the free throw line and the glass being the two biggest things. By no means did I think the refs were one-sided or even bad, but Bush shoots 20 free throws which is more than the entire HJ team that is strange to me at best. 

I think the experience that Bush and Martin have playing in big moments in big games was the biggest decider though because in the 4th quarter and overtime they didn't shoot themselves in the foot; quite like HJ did. Either way it was a great game, and I'm not counting this HJ team out of any game last year they had Yates on the ropes and just couldn't finish it off. Hopefully for the sake of 4a its a different outcome this time around.

1 hour ago, JimThorpe said:

You get my point.  There wouldn’t have been any conceding if one bracket yielded a reasonable shot at making it to the the Region Tourney and the other led to oblivion.  And I believe that Yates could win Region 3 5A. 

They could also loose Region 3 4A. Chances are really unlikely but it could happen. It’s basketball. There’s no such thing as zero chance 

9 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

100% agree. There should be no Dallas or Houston schools in 4A or below. 

9 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

While I tend to agree, there is a great equalizer any time you play Yates, no matter how talented they are.  But it involves taking care of the basketball and attacking the basket.  If you are settling for 3s, you’re have to hit a really high percentage this year.  But they will always be vulnerable if you don’t turn it over and can exploit the back side of that press.  

Having said all that, I agree they might be the most talented team in the state, regardless of classification.