Lumberton 52 Silsbee 86/FINAL

WOSgrad

I don’t come over here to the basketball thread too often, but I’m quite surprised to see our town making excuses for us getting whooped by Silsbee. Ain’t no excuse in the book acceptable except the fact that Silsbee is just way better. I thought that was common knowledge. 
Refs? Dirty play? Come on man! We could pay the refs off and pay Silsbee to play a loose zone defense and still get beat...

2 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

I don’t come over here to the basketball thread too often, but I’m quite surprised to see our town making excuses for us getting whooped by Silsbee. Ain’t no excuse in the book acceptable except the fact that Silsbee is just way better. I thought that was common knowledge. 
Refs? Dirty play? Come on man! We could pay the refs off and pay Silsbee to play a loose zone defense and still get beat...

It's only a select few who do that from there when Lumberton loses in any sport against anyone. 

The deal with the refs ANY time when playing Silsbee is simple. If they come out calling a loose game (like they did tonight) it is hard for any team to handle their pressure. The refs could have easily called 20-25 fouls on silsbee in the first half. Their aggressive defense turns into fast break points that other teams can’t keep up with. If the refs come out and call a tight clean game, silsbee has to back up and not play AS aggressive. Silsbee was NOT playing dirty. They were playing how they are taught to play the game from the age of 6 in little dribblers. 

3 minutes ago, DeuceSixSuited said:

The deal with the refs ANY time when playing Silsbee is simple. If they come out calling a loose game (like they did tonight) it is hard for any team to handle their pressure. The refs could have easily called 20-25 fouls on silsbee in the first half. Their aggressive defense turns into fast break points that other teams can’t keep up with. If the refs come out and call a tight clean game, silsbee has to back up and not play AS aggressive. Silsbee was NOT playing dirty. They were playing how they are taught to play the game from the age of 6 in little dribblers. 

Silsbee & Yates play a similar style of basketball, Yates will press the entire game regardless of the foul count cus they have a deep bench. Would like to see a Yates vs Silsbee Game in Sam Houston this year if both teams can get there. 

Really got to work on teaching our young cats to stay out of foul trouble. They get a little excited and go overboard at times and put themselves out of the game. Happened tonight with Harper.

I'm sure we're gonna die by the 3 pointer eventually. Hopefully it won't be for a while. Need to shoot the ball against HJ like we did against Lumberton. Much, much better job on defense tonight also.

Some ref’s can’t keep up with the style of basketball Yates plays, fast pace, aggressive on defense It sometimes looks like the ref’s are calling ridiculous calls so they can catch their breath. I have observed some ref’s that don’t even across half court when the game is back and forth. Then you have those ref’s that will call a foul if you touch a player. 

1 hour ago, DeuceSixSuited said:

It’s up to the opposing team to adjust their play against aggressive defensive play. Usually a team with a couple of good guards will adjust nicely. I don’t think the Tigers defense is as intense this year as it has been in the past. As long as the officiating is consistent it’s up to the teams to adjust .

35 minutes ago, whsalum said:

It’s up to the opposing team to adjust their play against aggressive defensive play. Usually a team with a couple of good guards will adjust nicely. I don’t think the Tigers defense is as intense this year as it has been in the past. As long as the officiating is consistent it’s up to the teams to adjust .

It’s equally as intense. They just don’t have two big bodied D1 players lol 

This from Lumberton Assistant Coach Matt Pace:

Gotta love when people make excuses. We didn't play good tonight. Had 3 starters with the flu. But no excuses silsbee jumped on us played better. We didn't play tough tonight. Simple as that. Silsbee wasnt dirty they play tough defense. People got to stop making excuses for poor play.

30 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

This from Lumberton Assistant Coach Matt Pace:

Gotta love when people make excuses. We didn't play good tonight. Had 3 starters with the flu. But no excuses silsbee jumped on us played better. We didn't play tough tonight. Simple as that. Silsbee wasnt dirty they play tough defense. People got to stop making excuses for poor play.

Matt Pace is an excellent coach, what he said is dead on.  Lumberton had three boys playing with the Flu: one starter #1, the sixth man #4, and a freshman that was moved up for depth. But plain and simple Silsbee came to play and beat them.