Hamshire-Fannett 40 Hardin-Jefferson 39/FINAL

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, Who That said:

I said from the beginning that Bush is the best player in SETX... And I believed we would see HJ and Silsbee play 3 times this year. But I never thought about HF being the one to make that possible. HF made it a fun ride this year. 

A game 3 between Silsbee & HJ or a coin toss. I would think game 3 would be at a neutral site. Game 3 would be interesting to see which coach makes the necessary adjustments to win. 

25 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

TxHoops no disrespect to the coach at HJ but to have an opportunity to win district and not face Yates in the Area Round of the playoffs and you score only 39 points against an opponent with a losing record in district play. HJ and HF were both coming off Big Wins over Silsbee, so both teams were playing good ball.

Where was the half time adjustments or changing the original game plan??? How many points did HJ score in the first half ??? considering they finished with only 39??? 

When the Celtics beat the Lakers recently by 32 points,  where were the halftime adjustments by the Lakers? 

No excuses for the loss last night but a couple of observations on some late game officiating calls. The first one was on the technical call with 2:55 left in the ballgame and the game tied at 35-35 .HJ grabs a rebound and is fouled, the gym is going nuts and the kid screams in excitement towards his student section. The opposing players and official were both behind him. There was no attempt to show up an opponent, it was a reaction of pure emotion . I could see the call being made if there was a push or contact but there was none. The other call I questioned was with 14.3 seconds left HJ inbounding the ball and HF had a foul to give.  The foul was called on a touch instantly, which is the correct call. However on the next inbound with 11 seconds left there was considerably more contact and mysteriously a no call. If the intentional touch fall is called then the triple team where contact forces the player to the floor has to be called as well. I gotta admit basketball is a lot more fun to watch in HF this year than it was in the past. 

We discussed on here how far back you’d have to go to find when Silsbee lost 2 District games in a Row, but how about this?   How long since someone in District beat Silsbee & HJ back to back?   You’d have to dust off some old records to find that answer.  😂🤣😂🤣😂

Cotton Robinson maybe?  😎

13 minutes ago, Hagar said:

We discussed on here how far back you’d have to go to find when Silsbee lost 2 District games in a Row, but how about this?   How long since someone in District beat Silsbee & HJ back to back?   You’d have to dust off some old records to find that answer.  😂🤣😂🤣😂

Cotton Robinson maybe?  😎

Actually WO-S did it a few years ago. 2014 I believe. Mustang team that had Paige.

7 hours ago, whsalum said:

No excuses for the loss last night but a couple of observations on some late game officiating calls. The first one was on the technical call with 2:55 left in the ballgame and the game tied at 35-35 .HJ grabs a rebound and is fouled, the gym is going nuts and the kid screams in excitement towards his student section. The opposing players and official were both behind him. There was no attempt to show up an opponent, it was a reaction of pure emotion . I could see the call being made if there was a push or contact but there was none. The other call I questioned was with 14.3 seconds left HJ inbounding the ball and HF had a foul to give.  The foul was called on a touch instantly, which is the correct call. However on the next inbound with 11 seconds left there was considerably more contact and mysteriously a no call. If the intentional touch fall is called then the triple team where contact forces the player to the floor has to be called as well. I gotta admit basketball is a lot more fun to watch in HF this year than it was in the past. 

HJ fan here, sitting on the HJ side.  Looked to me on the technical foul that he screamed directly down at the player who had just fallen off his back onto the ground.  Either way, should’ve absolutely gotten one for a push I he delivered to an HF player earlier in the half, albeit at a less crucial moment.  I did think there was a foul on the turnover with 11 seconds left, but I didn’t like the option of giving your guy the ball hemmed in between the half court line and the out of bounds line, where he had nowhere to go with the ball and no angles to pass once he was triple teamed.  

My guess is he will play against Silsbee

10 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

HJ fan here, sitting on the HJ side.  Looked to me on the technical foul that he screamed directly down at the player who had just fallen off his back onto the ground.  I did think there was a foul on the turnover with 11 seconds left, but I didn’t like the option of giving your guy the ball hemmed in between the half court line and the out of bounds line, where he had nowhere to go with the ball and no angles to pass once he was triple teamed.  

You have a few seconds to get the ball in and he was the only option when time was about to expire on the inbounds.  

Another unrelated but interesting referee info.  In the JV game, the father of one of the HF jv players was one of the refs.  I am gonna guess that the  closely guarded five second call made against HJ with very little time left and the HJ dribbler in the lane driving( yes driving and PAST the player who "earned" the five second call) was made by that individual.

4 minutes ago, stevenash said:

You have a few seconds to get the ball in and he was the only option when time was about to expire on the inbounds.  

Another unrelated but interesting referee info.  In the JV game, the father of one of the HF jv players was one of the refs.  I am gonna guess that the  closely guarded five second call made against HJ with very little time left and the HJ dribbler in the lane driving( yes driving and PAST the player who "earned" the five second call) was made by that individual.

Agreed.  But he got the ball in the same spot twice in a row, and the second time 3 players were ready to collapse on him, creating the turnover.  He was basically the only option on the play, and it appeared the play was designed to get him the ball in that spot, as he is the point guard.  But I’m not the coach, and maybe something else was supposed to happen to free up someone else, and HF just played it really well.

11 minutes ago, stevenash said:

And yes, the reffing in the JV game was poor, and felt biased, and I say that with only a minimal rooting interest in the game.  The HF ineligible varsity player pushed off blatantly with a forearm nearly every time he tried to create separation with no calls, but must have attempted 20 free throws, many on touch fouls or slight bumps on contact he created barreling down the lane.  I did enjoy watching the youngest Davis absolutely light it up in the 4th quarter and will them back into the game.  Nothing the refs could really call on the 4 or 5 deep threes he hit in the last 6 minutes.

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

I don’t normally comment on the officiating of the under level games but this was the worst officiated game I saw this season. I didn’t know they had contacts in the community nor would I care if they left the bias in the locker room. It was obvious that some of these calls weren’t just from a lack of knowledge of the game, they were deliberate. The one you mentioned being a glaring example. 

55 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I was told at the Kountze/EC game who the 3 officials were for the HJ/HF game. Those 3 are as good as you are going to get anywhere, particularly for this area.

Overall I felt the crew did a good job. One of them I consider the best official in the chapter. My bone of contention is an immediate whistle on an intentional foul when a team has fouls to give but more contact completely ignored on the next inbound at the exact same location. If it’s a foul when the opposing team has fouls to give then it’s also a foul when they don’t. 

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

HJ fan here, sitting on the HJ side.  Looked to me on the technical foul that he screamed directly down at the player who had just fallen off his back onto the ground.  Either way, should’ve absolutely gotten one for a push I he delivered to an HF player earlier in the half, albeit at a less crucial moment.  I did think there was a foul on the turnover with 11 seconds left, but I didn’t like the option of giving your guy the ball hemmed in between the half court line and the out of bounds line, where he had nowhere to go with the ball and no angles to pass once he was triple teamed.  

I was sitting right in front of where the technical was called. The kid did get emotional but the young man that fouled and the official were both behind him. I just didn’t see an attempt to humiliate the opposition. I think in that instance the official got caught up in the moment just like the player. As far as the play with 11 seconds left goes if the touch foul with 14 seconds is called then you have to call physical contact that forces a player to the floor on the very next possession.If that foul is called the team possessing the ball goes to the line with one of the best FT shooters in the district . I don’t question any coaches strategy and very seldom question officiating but the two instances I mentioned changed the outcome of the game. 

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I was told at the Kountze/EC game who the 3 officials were for the HJ/HF game. Those 3 are as good as you are going to get anywhere, particularly for this area.

I thought they did a decent job. Missed a few calls, but that happens with every crew every game.  The jv game was the one that was bad

1 hour ago, ST413 said:

One question on the tech and of course i wasn’t there.  Did you hear what was said? That could make a difference.  

At that point in the game I don't think anyone heard or could hear what was said. I think he more or less screamed towards the student section. It was only the second technical I've seen called on a player this year and have seen a lot more blatant examples not called. Like I said previously overall I thought the officials did a good job in the varsity game.