MARCUS GRAHAM HIRED AS BEAUMONT UNITED FOOTBALL COACH!

2wedge

3 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

You own it, but anyone doing hiring or with any sense of the landscape of HS football on a statewide level knows some jobs are simply impossible to succeed at....Graham has clearly demonstrated he's capable of leading good teams...as much as we like to put importance on coaches, in the end you've got to have the personnel to compete...he'll have the personnel at United at the 5A level

Along my line of thinking on this subject...

and I'm not saying coaches dont make a difference because they do...

But if Team A has 50% better personnel than Team B....Team B better have a 50% coaching advantage....and to be honest in most gigs in Texas teams are too well coached to be at that sort of disadvantage when it comes to x's and o's.....

On 2/17/2020 at 8:26 PM, Matthew328 said:

and I'm not saying coaches dont make a difference because they do...

But if Team A has 50% better personnel than Team B....Team B better have a 50% coaching advantage....and to be honest in most gigs in Texas teams are too well coached to be at that sort of disadvantage when it comes to x's and o's.....

I've said this for years on this site. I think most realize it's true but it always seems to rub the fans of teams a little light on personnel the wrong way. 

Smh, I don't understand why BISD didn't hire Jeff Nelson? I know he has some warts and would probably be hard to get by some in the administration but to me you need a guy that fits the culture . . . who also happens to be able to be a solid coach. Not someone who looks at the job and says, "Dang, with this talent all I really have to do is be a competent coach and I can use it as a stepping stone to get me somewhere else."  Again, I know he probably wasn't even seriously considered but there aren't any coaches on that list with noticeably better resumes. I will say I may have reached for Tyrone Carter at Huntsville before giving Nelson another shot though. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Smh, I don't understand why BISD didn't hire Jeff Nelson? I know he has some warts and would probably be hard to get by some in the administration but to me you need a guy that fits the culture . . . who also happens to be able to be a solid coach. Not someone who looks at the job and says, "Dang, with this talent all I really have to do is be a competent coach and I can use it as a stepping stone to get me somewhere else."  Again, I know he probably wasn't even seriously considered but there aren't any coaches on that list with noticeably better resumes. I will say I may have reached for Tyrone Carter at Huntsville before giving Nelson another shot though. 

Not knocking on Coach Nelson because he is a good coach, but wouldn't you want someone to come in and change the culture of the program instead of just fitting into what is already there?

20 hours ago, TheOutsider said:

Not knocking on Coach Nelson because he is a good coach, but wouldn't you want someone to come in and change the culture of the program instead of just fitting into what is already there?

I think winning games would be the culture change though. Right now I would imagine kids are playing because of the love of the game and potential scholarship offers. If you can put some pelts on the wall I think you would have kids that come out/become more dedicated just because they want to be part of a winning program. That “filler” is what I think helps to separate our teams from some of the more elite teams in the DFW and Central Texas.

Considering the situation he was in I always thought Nelson did a good job at Ozen and to me Ozen was just as tough as some of those HISD jobs. I think it’s a little easier to sell the kids what Nelson would bring versus trying to sell them 0-30. I hope it works out though, we need more powerhouses in this region. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think winning games would be the culture change though. Right now I would imagine kids are playing because of the love of the game and potential scholarship offers. If you can put some pelts on the wall I think you would have kids that come out/become more dedicated just because they want to be part of a winning program. That “filler” is what I think helps to separate our teams from some of the more elite teams in the DFW and Central Texas.

Considering the situation he was in I always thought Nelson did a good job at Ozen and to me Ozen was just as tough as some of those HISD jobs. I think it’s a little easier to sell the kids what Nelson would bring versus trying to sell them 0-30. I hope it works out though, we need more powerhouses in this region. 

No doubt 409 teams have some grit that you don't get at other parts of the state. Honestly don't really think either of them will turn the tides at BU but that's just my 2 cents.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:03 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

JEFF NELSON: 5 years; 21-31-0; 2-0-0
—staff, Ozen, ll years---
2009  Beaumont Ozen          3-7-0
2010  Beaumont Ozen          2-8-0
2011  Beaumont Ozen          7-6-0 F
2012  Beaumont Ozen          4-7-0 F
---staff, Beaumont ISD---
2017  Beaumont Central       5-3-0

On 2/20/2020 at 8:34 PM, Reagan said:

Well if we're giving a dude that lost 30 games in row a pass, then I'm sure we can extend that same logic to a coach that always found a way to win some games.

On 2/14/2020 at 6:40 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

I'll take the wait and see approach.  All is speculation right now as to who the finalist are, but as far a Graham goes,  I know he's better than the current DC from West Brook and I'm hearing it won't be him.  I also know that El Paso area in general is not really good at football and really don't produce the athletes you see in abundance here in SETX and Houston area.  He had a string of 3 pretty good season in El Paso, then I believe he switched to another EP school and sucked.  I also know that same school, after Graham left, they put up another 0-10 season.  

Hopefully, If Graham is the guy, maybe he learned a great deal from Coach Samples (darn good coach) as an assistant there.  I'm also sure that Graham is a better coach than A.L.

Bait and switch  fake news interviews here we go again smh...jmo...

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:34 PM, Reagan said:

I mean, you kind of pointed out what I was saying. He had a difficult job and was trending in the right direction. More than that though, I think he's the right "fit". I would put him on the level of someone like a Sadd Jackson if given the right tools. Hiring a guy like they just did I would imagine the win/loss record wasn't as important as hiring someone with a cleaner background.  

38 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I think I would faint if I ever saw a post from Soulja that was at least 6 words long and all were spelled correctly.

It's Briscoe. Not Broscoe

I really wouldn't be worried about me misspelling kid's names.  Obviously, predictive text messed up.  That's my excuse.  What's  your excuse for messing up (mispronouncing) kid's names on broadcasts? 🤷🏾‍♂️