The Never too Early 9 5A D1 Talk in here

BlackShirts5

Looks like its again gonna be another tough District. Don't know much about the new teams Friendswood, Laporte or Ball.  Figure United to be strong. GCM should be the better of the 3 Baytown schools. Then we will have to see about PAM. 

We are losing a small  Sr class but a few key contributors. Defense was very young but made strides last season. Our success will be how long our offense can keep the defense off the field and fresh.

United lead the last district in rushing  yards and had the #1 rusher in the district.  They lose the whole backfield.  We'll  need to replace the 4 guys.   We also lose the district defensive  player of the year. But I see we have some nice pieces coming back on defense.  Our younger players will need to grow quickly in offense.

I don't think LaPorte was a bad team last year.  They ran a power tun offense with thr big RB with the dread locks.  I think he returns.  Their only issue is they had no athletes on defense.

Friendswood typically has a solid football program, although I don't have much information on them. 

PA Memorial  was very inexperienced last year.  I think they return the QB and the nice RB #21.  Don't know what they return on defense.  I think Ball finishes last as all of those typical  Galveston athletes, just like the LaMarque area ends up at Dickinson...

Now the Baytown schools will be interesting.  GCM should be the cream of the crop here, but Sterling  had a few athletes that I seen on the field.  Not sure if any of them returns...

Lee I believe lost their #1 gun, I expect them to finish second to last behind Ball.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ball has a new coach thats coming from Katy or North Shore, can't remember. Friendswood reminds me of Nederland, not flashy and the bad years they can go 6-4. Laporte gonna be that grind it out team and win close or lose close. no disrespect, but Lee is the baytown school i think will be the best. last i saw looks like every year they improve. United gonna disappoint imo. new coach have to get his system in...losing key guys etc...

PAM- not saying we gonna win district, BUT if the QB has physically grown and let the JUNIOR #28  run ball and NOT Cheney(except in short yardage and when the defense is winded) coaching will hold us back from making any kind of a deep run. i see PAM finishing anywhere in the top 3, but realistically top 2. depends on which united team show up for the season. crazy, but united actually dictates where everyone will fall.

20 hours ago, pakronos said:

Ball has a new coach thats coming from Katy or North Shore, can't remember. Friendswood reminds me of Nederland, not flashy and the bad years they can go 6-4. Laporte gonna be that grind it out team and win close or lose close. no disrespect, but Lee is the baytown school i think will be the best. last i saw looks like every year they improve. United gonna disappoint imo. new coach have to get his system in...losing key guys etc...

PAM- not saying we gonna win district, BUT if the QB has physically grown and let the JUNIOR #28  run ball and NOT Cheney(except in short yardage and when the defense is winded) coaching will hold us back from making any kind of a deep run. i see PAM finishing anywhere in the top 3, but realistically top 2. depends on which united team show up for the season. crazy, but united actually dictates where everyone will fall.

Don't be surprised if #28 from last season is RB1 this upcoming season for us. We have to replace that WR group so we'll probably be a majority running team until district play. Hope the OL will be ready, I know Caines will be. 

Some info on what Friendswood Returns in 2020.Grden returns at QB - 3 or 4 th Year.He'll have 2 or 3 wide outs returning.2 running backs return.Anxious to see this kid named Corkran in the backfield.He's big 6-2 and runs well.He could be shifted to another position.If the NT recovers from knee surgery the DL should be OK.The lbs and secondary was hit hard from Graduation.Nice returning CB in Wade. Should be pretty stout on offense, defense will need some underclassmen to step up.               

On 3/7/2020 at 2:32 PM, Justafan72 said:

Some info on what Friendswood Returns in 2020.Grden returns at QB - 3 or 4 th Year.He'll have 2 or 3 wide outs returning.2 running backs return.Anxious to see this kid named Corkran in the backfield.He's big 6-2 and runs well.He could be shifted to another position.If the NT recovers from knee surgery the DL should be OK.The lbs and secondary was hit hard from Graduation.Nice returning CB in Wade. Should be pretty stout on offense, defense will need some underclassmen to step up.               

Feels like Grden been there for 5 years already. Was he the QB that had to step up in a playoff game as a freshman?