Hamshire-Fannett 72 Silsbee 65/FINAL

WOSgrad

11 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

And let’s just be clear, Rideaux would make most teams in this area better.  He can be polarizing when it comes to other team’s fans, but I can tell you he can flat out coach.  (And it’s little known that’s he pretty darn good coaching on the gridiron as well).  He’s a passionate guy so some will not like when his emotions get the best of him.  But he’s as real as real can be.

What makes him elite when it comes to coaching though is a couple of things.  He is exceptionally bright and works his tail off with preparation, and he is outstanding with the Xs and Os.  But when I tell you he cares for his kids, that is a drastic understatement.   I mean he cares for his kids to the point he will do anything in his power to help them, while they play for him or 10 years down the road.  And kids aren’t dumb.  They know when someone loves them unconditionally.  Those kids love him in return and will give him everything they’ve got.  

Those of us that have known him knew whoever eventually gave him his first head gig was going to get even more than they realized.  And those who he worked for before this year will tell you how special he is.  Coach Mitchell at Lumberton has done an amazing job there.  And he might be the biggest Coach Rideaux fan. 

Don't forget, we used to have Travis!  

I didn't mind him at all.  I appreciate teh passion.

What I do mind is the refs permitting coaches on the court during play.  If it was me they would be so gone so fast it would make their heads spin.  Not blaming the coaches because they are passionate guys.  It's such a simple fix, "You're outta here and don't ever let me catch you on the court during play again, got it?"  And if every ref did it, as they all should, the problem would be nonexistent.

Just now, JimThorpe said:

Don't forget, we used to have Travis!  

I didn't mind him at all.  I appreciate teh passion.

What I do mind is the refs permitting coaches on the court during play.  If it was me they would be so gone so fast it would make their heads spin.  Not blaming the coaches because they are passionate guys.  It's such a simple fix, "You're outta here and don't ever let me catch you on the court during play again, got it?"  And if every ref did it, as they all should, the problem would be nonexistent.

You know, I don’t know when that started being “permitted”.   But it’s more prevalent now than I remember it being 10, 20, or 30 years ago.  Some refs don’t tolerate it.  But I’ve noticed most let it slide or just continue giving warnings.

48 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

And let’s just be clear, Rideaux would make most teams in this area better.  He can be polarizing when it comes to other team’s fans, but I can tell you he can flat out coach.  (And it’s little known that’s he pretty darn good coaching on the gridiron as well).  He’s a passionate guy so some will not like when his emotions get the best of him.  But he’s as real as real can be.

What makes him elite when it comes to coaching though is a couple of things.  He is exceptionally bright and works his tail off with preparation, and he is outstanding with the Xs and Os.  But when I tell you he cares for his kids, that is a drastic understatement.   I mean he cares for his kids to the point he will do anything in his power to help them, while they play for him or 10 years down the road.  And kids aren’t dumb.  They know when someone loves them unconditionally.  Those kids love him in return and will give him everything they’ve got.  

Those of us that have known him knew whoever eventually gave him his first head gig was going to get even more than they realized.  And those who he worked for before this year will tell you how special he is.  Coach Mitchell at Lumberton has done an amazing job there.  And he might be the biggest Coach Rideaux fan. 

A lot of coaches are good with Xs and Os. All of them should be in my opinion but sadly some aren’t. But the kids don’t care how much you know they care how much you care. And it’s easier to reach kids when they know you care. That’s what makes great coaches 

I wasn't at the game either but the way I read the stats Bush had 32. Not bad. I have thought all year this team could beat anyone on any given night but it is hard to be consistent when you are as short as they are. I think it is particularly hard for undersized guys to play defense on bigger players. I am proud of the Tigers and want to congratulate the Longhorns. 

4 minutes ago, scoopno1 said:

I wasn't at the game either but the way I read the stats Bush had 32. Not bad. I have thought all year this team could beat anyone on any given night but it is hard to be consistent when you are as short as they are. I think it is particularly hard for undersized guys to play defense on bigger players. I am proud of the Tigers and want to congratulate the Longhorns. 

The Longhorns didn't really have that much of a height advantage, an inch here and there but manageable.

What they did have was good ball handling and very good passing.  Any kind of pressure Silsbee mounted was handled fairly well.  The few turnovers because of the pressure were easily made up for by Silsbee's porous defense down low.  

I think that overall it was simply that the Tigers didn't have any respect for the skills of the Longhorns.  Hampshire Fannett clearly had enough talent and speed to impose their style of offense on the Tigers last night.  Silsbee never recognized that on the court and never compensated.  But that should not have been decisive.  

The Tigers are fast and talented but they simply didn't have enough speed or talent to steamroll teams like the Longhorns any more.  If the Tigers had played smart, taken what was offered, not thrown away possessions, made the extra pass, they could have slowly pulled away to a 20 point win just like they did at Hampshire Fannett.  I just have to say it again, the Tigers simply aren't big enough or good enough to blast people.  If they play with smarts and intensity they are good enough to slowly and patiently pull way.  They were at that point in the first quarter.  I think they had a 10 to 3 lead.  That should have been the springboard to a not very flashy but convincing win.

41 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Oh boy... well at least HF won’t be in Silsbee’s district next year. This makes me think maybe Vidor can beat Silsbee next year. Might be crazy to think that but hey at least we beat HF at their place this year.

Take what you can get next year. Silsbee should be down quite a bit with several freshmen and sophomores making up the team...and no Bush. But after next season the tigers will have three strong seasons with each getting better. 

1 hour ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Oh boy... well at least HF won’t be in Silsbee’s district next year. This makes me think maybe Vidor can beat Silsbee next year. Might be crazy to think that but hey at least we beat HF at their place this year.

Vidor  won’t beat Silsbee.   

Guys this was definitely an upset and a big win for HF but it isn’t near as surprising this year as some are making it out to be.  Look at The games HF has played against us and HJ in district.  They have definitely improved from last year and even a lot through this year.  You can’t base anything for either of these two teams on past years.  

Think we need to develop an "oh woe is us" attitude towards Silsbee ball next year. That way we can act all delighted and trilled whenever the poor little Tigers manage to win a game.

There really might be around 10 freshman and sophomores on the team next year. At the very least Miller, Bottley, and Harris will likely go straight to varsity, probably more than that.

Think there's at least two current JV players that might could contribute in some way. Number 1 and 20.

Gilder and Baltrip will be the only seniors that see playing time.

47 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Guys this was definitely an upset and a big win for HF but it isn’t near as surprising this year as some are making it out to be.  Look at The games HF has played against us and HJ in district.  They have definitely improved from last year and even a lot through this year.  You can’t base anything for either of these two teams on past years.  

Idk about that HF has lost to Vidor, OF, LCM, WOS and Lumberton x 2 this season. I think it’s very surprising and more likely that Silsbee just had an off night... a horrible night.

5 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Idk about that HF has lost to Vidor, OF, LCM, WOS and Lumberton x 2 this season. I think it’s very surprising and more likely that Silsbee just had an off night... a horrible night.

Yes they have lost those games but they are in the first year of a new coach and have only 1 loss besides the first one to my Tigers by more than I believe 7 points. They are definitely better than last year and I will still say better than the beginning of the year.  This group of Tigers is definitely not the same as last years bunch either you don’t graduate two 4 year all state starters like McCain and Adams and another the quality of Tyler and stay at the same level.  It was said at the beginning of district this year that any team could beat anyone else and this just proves that.  Did the Tigers have an off night,  yes definitely in some ways,  but HF came out and simply outplayed us and wanted it more.  My question for both teams will be how they respond both face HJ this coming week if I remember what I read correctly.  A must win for my Tigers if they want to control things and a definite meaningful game for HF to show that this one want a fluke.

15 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Bruh the fact that Vidor beat HF in a preseason game around Thanksgiving means NOTHING.  

37 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Yes they have lost those games but they are in the first year of a new coach and have only 1 loss besides the first one to my Tigers by more than I believe 7 points. They are definitely better than last year and I will still say better than the beginning of the year.  This group of Tigers is definitely not the same as last years bunch either you don’t graduate two 4 year all state starters like McCain and Adams and another the quality of Tyler and stay at the same level.  It was said at the beginning of district this year that any team could beat anyone else and this just proves that.  Did the Tigers have an off night,  yes definitely in some ways,  but HF came out and simply outplayed us and wanted it more.  My question for both teams will be how they respond both face HJ this coming week if I remember what I read correctly.  A must win for my Tigers if they want to control things and a definite meaningful game for HF to show that this one want a fluke.

Yeah my Raiders beat HF by 7 at Home and by 9 at HF 

51 minutes ago, texas13 said:

I don’t think he said it did mean anything 

5 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

6 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

So did Silsbee. By 22 points, 85-63.