Hamshire-Fannett 72 Silsbee 65/FINAL

WOSgrad

If I were Lumberton or Hardin Jefferson, I'd do the same thing HF did tonight on offense to Silsbee. The Raiders sorta did that in the first game and made it interesting.

Tigers really are like a high school version of the Houston Rockets. Small ball and look like world beaters when the 3 is falling and getting easy lay ups. Could lose to almost anyone if neither of those are going our way and we're playing lackluster defense.

18 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

Well at least we've denied Hardin Jefferson the chance to give us our first district loss in a long while.

Hard to win a game when you can't make any shots. Silsbee rarely stopped HF when they took the time to set up their offense. They'd just drive to the basket and kick it to mainly one player, get a lay up or a foul called. Their point guards did a good job of not giving the ball up for the most part.

I can feel that 3rd round playoff loss coming now......if we get that far.

I really think they will be more prepared for the early rounds of the playoffs now. I could see a premature exit before this game but now I feel they may be aware of how much shorter the gap is between them and lesser teams than previous years and may be more focused all four quarters to make sure they beat the teams they’re supposed to beat. 

Great win horns!! I know it’s one loss in district but someone needs to talk about coach Sig and his coaching. If his very very athletic team doesn’t get a steal in full court press they are very bad and lazy on half court defense and give up layup after layup. On offense they don’t run any set plays and you have 3 players who just seem to shoot whenever and from wherever on the court they want. It’s easy to get away with that philosophy when you have a combination of Adams, Mcain, and Bush, but it won’t get them very far with the roster this year. Again, not taking away from coach Tige and the horns and their outstanding game plan. Coach Sig needs to pull the reigns in and get this team to playing like they can if they want to get past the second round. Good luck to both the Horns and the Tigers the rest of the way!! I graduated from Silsbee many moons ago so I think we will squeak it out in a nail bitter vs HJ!!

This loss ended a 58 game (on court) district win streak for Silsbee.

I thought Silsbee would finally take a loss in district this year ( thought it would be HJ, still could happen). I still think they are the team in district 22-4A.

Next year, well not so much. I think Silsbee will be vulnerable next year but they have the realignment to help them with the loss of HJ and HF.

Wasn't at the game last night (was in Tenaha for a good one), but from what I was told, HF simply out played Silsbee and deserved the win.

Congrats Tigee and the Longhorn team.

It was going to happen sooner or later and I'm glad it was Hampshire-Fannett.  .  For the last four years HF has been the team that perhaps the Tigers have mauled the worst.  I seem to recall a 118 to 19 game if memory serves.  It was impossible not to feel good for them.  They looked like they had just won the championship.  It was a well deserved win by an enormously improved program.

12 hours ago, stevenash said:

Hj has Silsbee at home and HF at HF  next week

It's nice to be in control of your destiny, like we were before last night.  Of course the destiny is the same, losing to Yates, but I'd much rather lose to Yates at Huntsville.

I hope the Longhorns can be as inspired when they face the Hawks.  I doubt it though because for all intents and purposes they have their championship for this year.  This may have been the biggest district win ever for HF.

28 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

It's nice to be in control of your destiny, like we were before last night.  Of course the destiny is the same, losing to Yates, but I'd much rather lose to Yates at Huntsville.

I hope the Longhorns can be as inspired when they face the Hawks.  I doubt it though because for all intents and purposes they have their championship for this year.  This may have been the biggest district win ever for HF.

We still are in control of our destiny guys as long as we win tuesday.  Hj is in the same boat.  

1 hour ago, JimThorpe said:

Idk HF played HJ close last game. And that lost may be just what Silsbee needed to play more inspired and step it up a notch 

48 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Well, the 65 points was the lowest total for Silsbee in district play this season.

Came into the game averaging around 80 for district.

Yes and that tells you what kind of night it was.  The game was definitely fast paced but good defense and an off night shooting kept that score down.   

5 hours ago, EagleFan2004 said:

Great win horns!! I know it’s one loss in district but someone needs to talk about coach Sig and his coaching. If his very very athletic team doesn’t get a steal in full court press they are very bad and lazy on half court defense and give up layup after layup. On offense they don’t run any set plays and you have 3 players who just seem to shoot whenever and from wherever on the court they want. It’s easy to get away with that philosophy when you have a combination of Adams, Mcain, and Bush, but it won’t get them very far with the roster this year. Again, not taking away from coach Tige and the horns and their outstanding game plan. Coach Sig needs to pull the reigns in and get this team to playing like they can if they want to get past the second round. Good luck to both the Horns and the Tigers the rest of the way!! I graduated from Silsbee many moons ago so I think we will squeak it out in a nail bitter vs HJ!!

Pretty much this. I hate to overreact after one game and go there, but we could have done so many things better.

At the very least we could have backed off their point guards. They we're getting by our defenders almost every time playing them tight, which lead to most of HF's points. Back off and force them to make a shot from outside. If they beat us with that, so be it.

HF beat us with their big post player ( and I think one other kid) not even playing last night doing the same thing over and over 🤬

7 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

Pretty much this. I hate to overreact after one game and go there, but we could have done so many things better.

At the very least we could have backed off their point guards. They we're getting by our defenders almost every time playing them tight, which lead to most of HF's points. Back off and force them to make a shot from outside. If they beat us with that, so be it.

HF beat us with their big post player ( and I think one other kid) not even playing last night doing the same thing over and over 🤬

Could not back off their guard,  Hf has proved all year that they are content to stand and hold the ball.  We were behind if we back off they stand there and let the clock run.  We had to stay with that guy coming down the baseline and deny that pass, we just didn’t do it.  Being behind dictated our defense.  If we had a lead we could have backed off and clogged the lane.  Made them hit the shots.

6 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

He wasn't big.  He was open.  He could have been stopped,  he never got close to the rim and he never overpowered anybody.  

1 minute ago, ST413 said:

Could not back off their guard,  Hf has proved all year that they are content to stand and hold the ball.  We were behind if we back off they stand there and let the clock run.  We had to stay with that guy coming down the baseline and deny that pass, we just didn’t do it.  Being behind dictated our defense.  If we had a lead we could have backed off and clogged the lane.  Made them hit the shots.

We had an early lead,  never needed to play recklessly.  The Tigers weren't trying to win, they were trying to biow HJ out.  They weren't playing smart and they weren't disciplined.  

2 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

He wasn't big.  He was open.  He could have been stopped,  he never got close to the rim and he never overpowered anybody.  

We had an early lead,  never needed to play recklessly.  The Tigers weren't trying to win, they were trying to biow HJ out.  They weren't playing smart and they weren't disciplined.  

Yes we did have an early lead just not for long.  And cant argue with your statements.  Only thing i can say about that is that we never had much of a lead and it was early on.  They lead pretty much from at least midway  through the second until the end.  If not earlier than that i cant remember if we got a lead in the second or not.  

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

This loss ended a 58 game (on court) district win streak for Silsbee.

I thought Silsbee would finally take a loss in district this year ( thought it would be HJ, still could happen). I still think they are the team in district 22-4A.

Next year, well not so much. I think Silsbee will be vulnerable next year but they have the realignment to help them with the loss of HJ and HF.

Wasn't at the game last night (was in Tenaha for a good one), but from what I was told, HF simply out played Silsbee and deserved the win.

Congrats Tigee and the Longhorn team.

Exactly what I thought.  Expected a split between those two (and might still happen).  

And let’s just be clear, Rideaux would make most teams in this area better.  He can be polarizing when it comes to other team’s fans, but I can tell you he can flat out coach.  (And it’s little known that’s he pretty darn good coaching on the gridiron as well).  He’s a passionate guy so some will not like when his emotions get the best of him.  But he’s as real as real can be.

What makes him elite when it comes to coaching though is a couple of things.  He is exceptionally bright and works his tail off with preparation, and he is outstanding with the Xs and Os.  But when I tell you he cares for his kids, that is a drastic understatement.   I mean he cares for his kids to the point he will do anything in his power to help them, while they play for him or 10 years down the road.  And kids aren’t dumb.  They know when someone loves them unconditionally.  Those kids love him in return and will give him everything they’ve got.  

Those of us that have known him knew whoever eventually gave him his first head gig was going to get even more than they realized.  And those who he worked for before this year will tell you how special he is.  Coach Mitchell at Lumberton has done an amazing job there.  And he might be the biggest Coach Rideaux fan.